294Re: [7mmnga] Small curves, big ideas

  • David Leslie Taylor
    Nov 2, 2001
      Dear Dave,
      Another limiting factor on the curve radius is the
      type of coupling you use, and whether it has the capacity
      to swing far enough. Will your train bend enough to
      accommodate the radius? Length of coupling is also a
      consideration, will the inside corners of your rolling
      stock foul each-other on the bend? Obviously there is a
      trade-off here, the wider your vehicles, the longer the gap
      between them needs to be.
      Regarding bending Peco track to a very tight curve,
      I would recommend sliding the sleepers off first, and
      pre-curving the rail. You can then cut out the webs
      between the sleepers, and thread them back on. (Not as
      tedious as it sounds, I assure you!) With the rail
      pre-curved, the flexible track will stay put, and not be
      under any stress when you lay it. Howard has obviously had
      no trouble with the track on Avalon brickworks, but I don't
      like the thought of all that sideways stress built
      permanently into your layout.
      Another advantage of removing the webs is that you
      can vary the sleeper spacing, and straighten them out a
      bit. The Peco track as it stands looks far too "crazy"
      to me, for a British railway, and the sleeper spacing looks
      too close. I adopted this method on Charmouth, and felt
      that the finished result was a vast improvement, well worth
      the small extra effort.
      Good luck, let us know how you get on.
      Dave.T

      On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:48:11 -0000 howardmartin
      <howardmartin@...> wrote:

      > Dear Dave
      >
      > On my Avalon Brickworks layout, the 180� curve at one end is is 4�" and 6"
      > at the other, SPUD's go round easily and one occasion an Agenoria 0-4-0 open
      > cab Hunslet went round the smaller curve. the only reason, the loco wouldn't
      > go round the other end was height of the hole in the backscene.
      >
      > Standard Peco 0-16.5 flexitrack has been used. The key trick is to start at
      > the middle of the curve and work out wards and not to have any track joins
      > until the radius slackens off. It may be necessary to cut some of the
      > sleeper webbing on the inside rail.
      >
      > Howard Martin

      David Leslie Taylor
      University of Exeter