      From: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com [mailto:7mmnga@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: 08 July 2014 18:56
      To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [7mm NGA] Hornby Toby 0-6-0 chassis

      For spares I would recommend 'Peters Spares' of Middlesbrough.

      http://www.petersspares.com/

      I have bought spares for the Toby/Bill/Ben not to repair but to convert chassis to use different axle spacings.
      Bachmann have always had a problem with the plastic they use for gears/axles, going back to Mainline days.

      As far as I remember the Hornby Toby and Bill/Ben were not produced in UK. They originate from a clockwork system Hornby developed. I have one of the original Bill/Ben bodies with key hole in it. At the time I saw the potential for narrow gauge(hence reason I have the body), and I assume someone at Hornby  decided they could be added to the electric range. Probably why they were bigger than standard OO models.

      SOW a Seed

      Save
      Our
      World

      GREEN not GREED

      Simon Dawson

      http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

      To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
      From: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 10:44:47 +0100

      I think it is only fair to add that you get what you pay for. The Chinese
      are perfectly capable of producing the highest quality gears available, but
      at a price. In reality, they build their mechanisms to the standards
      required by the customer, who naturally wants them as cheap as possible in
      order to maximise their profits. If Hornby had specified a better quality
      product, the locos would have cost more, but they would have been less
      likely to fail. It's the same with the Bachmann US range where many of their
      locos, particularly the geared examples, Shays, Climaxes etc., have suffered
      split gears. Unfortunately, it's the way of the world: Buy 'em cheap...sell
      'em dear and hope that they last the guarantee period. I don't recall
      hearing about the old mechanisms failing, because they included many metal
      parts and were generally over-engineered. The new plastics are not
      necessarily the wonder products they are supposed to be.

      In the case of the Thomas the Tank Engine range, they are also intended as
      children's toys, rather than accurate scale models, which are sold for play
      on train sets, not scale model railways. Perhaps Hornby was working on the
      presumption that kids today are said to get bored with things quickly, so
      the train set and the cheap locos are unlikely to get terminal wear until
      after the kid has moved onto other interests. For those few youngsters who
      do give their trains a great deal of use, Mum and Dad will probably
      willingly replace the locos when they fail, grateful that the
      space-engulfing train set is at least getting some use and that a
      replacement loco is relatively cheap to buy.

      With regard to the Toby chassis, the Hornby website is quite unhelpful and
      couldn't even find "Toby" on its search engine, however, first choice when I
      "Googled" Hornby Spares was:
      http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares_motors_and_gears.htm. They
      list a worm and gear set for the Hornby 0-6-0 steam engine chassis for £2.99
      - Product Code: X8199. They also list a gear assembly for Toby, Bill and Ben
      for £3.00 - Product Code: X9006. Are either of these what has failed? If so,
      it seems a cheap fix.

      I hope this is helpful.

      Richard Coney

      Member 2710