17097Re: [7mm NGA] Brass handrails

  • stephen
    Aug 23 3:43 PM
      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...> wrote:

      > My memory of using Pyruma was that it was slightly coarser than DAS but, if Allan Downes says it's the same I'm not going to argue!

      I'm not sure that's correct, Allan Downes or no.... fire cement is a mineral based compound with a definite sandy texture and sets like rock. DAS on the other hand is a softer and much finer material made (I believe) from pulped paper with a mineral additive - possibly china clay as it has a high mica content and what might be gum arabic as a binder. When it dries it has the same properties as watercolour paper or card which is why it is so useful when using watercolour for modelling stone and brickwork. It is definitely not as hard as fire cement and I would question its heat retardant properties.

      Steve
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic