14673[7mm NGA] Re: WLLR Book Review

    Apr 3, 2011
      The answer to the question in Ian's second paragraph has, surely, got to be, the Corris Railway, as Andy Young suggested a little earlier.

      I say this because John Milner is already known to be well into the Glyn Valley.

      As for the FR deserving a "top shelf" book, I refer Ian to Peter Johnson's work for OPC/Ian Allan**. As good and thorough a history of the prepreservation FR as anyone is going to produce until my colleague finally completes her work on the FR Archive and opens that collection. Peter has done a similar job for the Welsh Highland, now in its third edition. Both these books are, by comparison with the W&L and the L&M books extremely reasonably priced, a mere £19.99 each!

      Adrian

      ** An Illustrated History of the Festiniog Railway - ISBN 978-0-86093-603-9

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "ianj0trains" <ianaj@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Quality always outlasts memory of the price though.
      >
      > The standard of that publication, or The Spooner Album, are obvious every time I pick them up, but I've no idea now what they cost me. Or for that matter what I paid for the Wild Swan books on the Ashover or Talyllyn, which I also much value.
      >
      > Re which railway is due for a "top shelf" book next, sure it has to be the Festiniog ? I've original editions of Vol 1 and 2 of Boyds, but the amount of information that has come to light since he published those surely would justify a book to the standard of the L&M one ?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Ian J
      >
      > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Hingley" <pdh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The L&M book is also quite staggeringly expensive, perhaps
      > > in part due to the un necessary use of colour printing, which
      > > is why (much though I love the legend of the L&M and that beautiful
      > > part of Staffordshire) I have not yet bought a copy !
      > >

      > > PDH

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic