1042Another Layout on the circuit

  • Kelvin White
    Dec 1, 2002
      Just a quick note to announce my new layout (and my first Oe layout) will be on the exhibition circuit in January. The layout is called Karácsony Oberdorf.

      This layout is a development of my Sn76 layout ‘Karácsony’ which saw just one exhibition at the January 2000  Kidlington Scout Rail exhibition. The new layout of almost the same name continues the theme, of Eastern European narrow gauge but at the larger modelling scale of 1/45 on 16.5mm track. Initial inspiration came from Paul Engelbert’s book ‘Forestry Railways in Hungary’. Subsequent research has widened the interest to most Eastern European NG lines of 76cm gauge.

      Until recently small 76cm narrow gauge trains brought timber out the woods where the marshy ground will not support modern logging tractors and trucks. Some lines survive today mainly as tourist railways. Karácsony Oberdorf is set in the ‘grey days’ of the 1970s, prior to the fall of Communism and the Berlin Wall. Subsequent ‘modernisation’ has improved roads and truck access and in its wake swept away anachronisms such as the Hungarian narrow gauge Gazdaságni Vasút (Economy Railway). No longer do small diesels struggle with trains of pulpwood or local agricultural produce, and passenger trains are but a memory.

      At present I’m mainly using modified Fleischmann Magic Train models for rolling stock. In time it will be replaced by stock that more accurately reflects Eastern European narrow gauge locomotives and rolling stock. Couplings are KDs. The scenic part of the layout is 9ft (2700mm long) with a sector plate 4ft (1200mm) at one end.

      Karácsony Oberdorf will be at the following model railway exhibitions

      4th & 5th January 2003 Scout Rail, Exeter Hall, Kidlington nr Oxford

      10th May 2003 7mm NGA AGM Loughborough

      5th July 2003 Chiltern NG, Luton

      24th & 25th August 2003 Westinghouse MRC, Laycott nr Chippenham

      For more details contact me off list.

      Kelvin White - 7mmNGA Oe SIG
      Oxford, England.

      kelvin@...,uk