Is Ebay the best auction site?

  • chrislrp
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hello. Just joined this group. I have been slowly auctioning off my
      dad's collection of 78s (mostly jazz and big band) on ebay, but have
      been disappointed by the low level of interest and low bids.
      Is ebay the best place to sell vintage 78s?

      Thanks for any advice anybody can offer.

      Chris
    • Ron L'Herault
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
        If you know what you would like to get for the records, why not offer them
        here, on 78C. That is what is was meant for.

        Ron L
        > Hello. Just joined this group. I have been slowly auctioning off my
        > dad's collection of 78s (mostly jazz and big band) on ebay, but have
        > been disappointed by the low level of interest and low bids.
        > Is ebay the best place to sell vintage 78s?
        >
        > Thanks for any advice anybody can offer.
        >
        > Chris

      • Paul J. Sala
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
          Yes ebay is the best place to auction your 78s.

          Keep in mind that while some 78s will fetch 10, 20 or 100 dollars, most 78s are
          not worth much or anything at all. For instance, Bing Crosby sold millions of
          copies of his 78s, therefore they are not rare and do not fetch much. And who
          wants too pay 5.00 shipping for a 3.00 78 record.

          I was once told that your are only slightly more likely to finding a rare 78 as
          you are in finding a rare coin in your pocket change.

          Make sure your description of your 78 is accurate and most times a picture
          helps. Good luck..........Paul
        • Malcolm Rockwell
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
            Me, that's who. I just bought a 78rpm copy of Sheb Wooley doing
            "Purple People Eater" on MGM for $7.00. The shipping was $8.00.
            Rare?
            Who knows.
            I've not seen a 78 of this in 32 years of collecting...
            it's really close to the end of 78 production, though.
            Certainly worth it to me!
            And it came from a seller on eBay.
            Malcolm R

            *******

            "Paul J. Sala" wrote:

            > Yes ebay is the best place to auction your 78s.
            >
            > Keep in mind that while some 78s will fetch 10, 20 or 100 dollars, most 78s are
            > not worth much or anything at all. For instance, Bing Crosby sold millions of
            > copies of his 78s, therefore they are not rare and do not fetch much. And who
            > wants too pay 5.00 shipping for a 3.00 78 record.
            >
            > I was once told that your are only slightly more likely to finding a rare 78 as
            > you are in finding a rare coin in your pocket change.
            >
            > Make sure your description of your 78 is accurate and most times a picture
            > helps. Good luck..........Paul

          • chrislrp
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
              Maybe I could post urls to new items as I post them on Ebay? Would that
              be okay?

              Chris

              > If you know what you would like to get for the records, why not offer them
              > here, on 78C. That is what is was meant for.
              >
              > Ron L

            • Alex & Julie Maddocks
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
                Certainly!

                A general rule of thumb. 95% of all the 78's ever pressed are of relatively
                little or no value (especially most post-WWII "popular" or classical music.

                All other things being equal, if you know what you want for a record (fixed
                price), post your listing here. If you have no idea, post them as a group
                on eBay and send us a message with a URL.

                If you are still uncertain how to proceed, let us know or ask one of our
                collector/dealers for private (off list) assistance. Cries of "Help!" are
                not uncommon and there are lots of folks usually willing to be helpful.

                Alex Maddocks
                78-C ListMeister

                Maybe I could post urls to new items as I post them on Ebay? Would that
                be okay?

                Chris

                > If you know what you would like to get for the records, why not offer them
                > here, on 78C. That is what is was meant for.
                >
                > Ron L

              • GENE JOSLIN
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
                  --- chrislrp <ccornell@...> wrote:
                  > Hello. Just joined this group. I have been slowly
                  > auctioning off my
                  > dad's collection of 78s (mostly jazz and big band)
                  > on ebay, but have
                  > been disappointed by the low level of interest and
                  > low bids.
                  > Is ebay the best place to sell vintage 78s?
                  >
                  > Thanks for any advice anybody can offer.
                  >
                  > Chris

                  Hello Chris:

                  For twenty one years Joslin's Jazz Journal has been a
                  leading marketplace for vintage 78's. We are a
                  quarterly, appearing in Feb, May, August and November,
                  with lots of record auctions from collectors all over
                  the world.

                  Some of our customers haven't missed running an
                  auction in every issue for over a decade.

                  Unless you have a list all ready to go, we're probably
                  too late for the November issue, but please subscribe
                  now and see what we can do for you.

                  We have subscribers everywhere from Erie, Kansas to
                  Bangkok Thailand!

                  Best regards, Gene Joslin

                  Joslin's Jazz Journal
                  Box 213
                  Parsons, KS 67357

                  ps: the subscription is $24 per year.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
                    No subscription charge for ebay - a big plus! And I
                    think it may be less expensive to list your records on
                    ebay than at JJJ.

                    --- GENE JOSLIN <electrodeon@...> wrote:

                    > ps: the subscription is $24 per year.

                    HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                  • dave nelson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                      I have inherited 2 trunks of 78's. when I have
                      catalogued them, I'll let you know their contents.

                      Dave