Moderator comment...

  • Graham Newton
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1, 2002
      chriskitty_1999 wrote:

      > 1. I don't feel this discussion is too "off topic" for this group at
      > all, it's not as if I was listing a car for sale here! Helps to keep
      > everyone awake!!

      You were cautioned yesterday about off topic posts to 78-c and today you
      do it again. Perhaps I need to be a little more blunt with you.

      STOP THE OFF TOPIC POSTING TO 78-c

      Please note what I said yesterday:

      78-c is for buying and selling... lists are welcome, wants are welcome and
      record auction pointers are welcome also.

      Discussions, snappy one liner comments, repartee and such are discouraged...
      that's what the sister list, 78-l, is for.

      Please move this and similar comments to 78-l

      One more, and I will remove your posting privileges permanently.

      ... Graham Newton (moderator)

      World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
      recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.
    • Graham Newton
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 9, 2002
        Göran Söderwall wrote:

        > This is definitely off topic for 78-C!
        (and then he quoted back to the list the entire 3 page spam post!)

        Hello Goran...

        Yes, the post from ELLIVRO_Q was not only off topic, it was promoting an
        illegal pyramid "make money fast" Ponzi scheme. This person had joined 78-c
        this morning for the sole purpose of spamming the list and has now been
        banned from 78-c permanently.

        Please note that it was entirely unnecessary of you to quote the entire
        message back to the list, thereby compounding the offense.

        Both the original message and your response (for this reason) have been
        removed from the archive.

      • phonofix@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 6, 2002
          hzwingmann@... writes:

          <<
          will all the damnd e-junkmail stop i hope i sold the damnd things 1st day
          5th e-mail i recived! now back off and leave me alone >>
          ...Does this make any sense to anyone?
          Dave
        • Graham Newton
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 6, 2002
            phonofix@... wrote:

            > ...Does this make any sense to anyone?

            Hello Dave, and all others...

            When the list gets an off beat post like this, please resist the urge to fire
            off a snappy retort or comment. Your actions simply exacerbate the problem
            and add to the list pollution that we, as moderators are trying to clean up.
            This person has already been contacted <off list> for those very reasons.

            Those who don't co-operate are being removed or banned from the list.

          • aph4990@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 6, 2002
              In a message dated 9/6/02 8:45:18 AM Mountain Daylight Time, phonofix@...
              writes:

              > will all the damnd e-junkmail stop i hope i sold the damnd things 1st day
              > 5th e-mail i recived! now back off and leave me alone >>
              > ...Does this make any sense to anyone?

              Makes no sense to me. And pretty ill-mannered to boot!
              Art Heller

            • aph4990@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 6, 2002
                Sorry Graham,
                Wrote my comment before seeing your own.
                Art Heller

              • Graham Newton
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 8, 2002
                  Re: [78-C] More controversy: Grading

                  Messages posted by:-

                  sworth <sworth@...>
                  mothra666@...

                  If you have been watching this list for a while, you both know that it is
                  for BUY/SELL/WANTS lists, auction pointers and such.

                  IT IS NOT A VENUE FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION.

                  It more properly should appear on 78-l where the discussion can fully
                  explore all the aspects of the question of grading.

                  ALL MEMBERS PLEASE TAKE NOTE:-
                  Take further "discussions" of this issue to 78-l or off list...
                  this is not furthering the buying and selling of records which is what the
                  78-c list is supposed to be doing.

                  Please make no more posts of this nature to 78-c.

                  ... Graham Newton

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 11, 2004
                    Hello all...

                    When you see a message you would like to reply to, please don't just hit
                    the "reply" button... your email would go to all listmembers (well over 600
                    at last count), when your reply is probably only of interest to the original
                    poster!.

                    Please instead, use "cut and paste" to reply only to the original poster!.

                    ... Graham Newton, 78-C moderator

                    World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
                    consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.
                  • Graham Newton
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 25, 2006
                      The previous message asking about Toronto record stores was incorrectly posted
                      to 78-C and belongs on 78-L... please respond there or privately to the poster.

                      Generally, on 78-C, if it isn't...

                      a list of records for sale
                      a list of records wanted
                      a list trades to make or want
                      a pointer to an auction for records for sale

                      or if it IS any message that prompts discussion threads

                      then it belongs on the sister discussion list 78-L.

                      If you want to get into general record discussions, it is suggested that you
                      move these to the 78-L list which is where they more properly belong, and where
                      they will more likely be found in an archival search by someone looking for
                      information down the road.

                      Go here for information about 78-L and how to join it:-

                      http://www.78online.com

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 21, 2007
                        Hello all...

                        It seems that recently the Ebay URLs have been getting overly long and they are
                        being transmitted "broken" by some browsers.

                        This means that list members cannot click on the link to get to your auction
                        and they get a "page cannot be found" or other error message, and unless they
                        have a high degree of computer savvy, they have difficulty figuring out how to
                        find your auction and often just give up. It is a waste of everybody's time.

                        Messages with broken links will not be passed to the list. Instead you will
                        get them back with a request that you fix them and re-submit.

                        The 78-C monthly information message that you all receive automatically from
                        the list contains details about how to prevent this problem and how to make a
                        tiny url which fixes the problem entirely.

                        If you are posting Ebay links to the list, I urge you to read the monthly
                        information message and alter your postings to make sure they are effective.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 24, 2007
                          Hello all...

                          You will notice a few small changes in 78-C

                          The 78-C web page...

                          See it here:

                          now has a welcoming graphic on it and some long standing textual errors have
                          been corrected. The opening page is due for an overhaul which will come in due
                          course. Also, I will be doing some tinkering with the web page colors to make
                          it a little more attractive than the bare space it has been.

                          The biggest change you will note is a "footer" added to the bottom of all
                          messages reminding you that replies should be made "off list" to the original
                          message poster.

                          This became necessary because the default when you click "REPLY" in your
                          browser is to send your message to the entire list, which in most cases creates
                          almost 700 pieces of junk mail, one to each member who wasn't interested in
                          your response!

                          Your comments are welcome, but please address them to me off list.

                          ... Graham Newton, 78-C moderator

                          World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
                          consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.
                        • Sax Therapy
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 28, 2007
                            I've got a rare Robert Lockwood Jr. 78 on the Fury label up for
                            auction on ebay.

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140152312596

                            also 78's by Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, and Allen Bunn. More
                            will be added today.

                            thanks for looking,
                            Saul

                            http://youtube.com/zaxmania
                          • Graham Newton
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
                              Earlier today a member posted a message asking for comments on an Ebay type
                              auction service called Ebid.

                              I'd like to remind you all that 78-C is not a forum for general discussions or
                              comments.

                              Postings of this nature and any resulting comments should be placed on 78-L
                              which is where they are intended to go. This is all outlined in the monthly
                              information message that is sent to all 78-C members at the beginning of each
                              month.

                              I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO ALL 78-C MEMBERS THAT YOU READ THE MONTHLY INFORMATION
                              MESSAGE if you want to avoid the following:-

                              Members presently enjoying direct posting privileges on 78-C who violate the
                              posting guidelines automatically get placed on moderate, which will result in
                              delays to your subsequent postings.

                              ... Graham Newton, 78-C moderator.

                              World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
                              consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.