An eBay Horror Story

  • drjazz78@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      Greetings Gang,

      A non-list member has asked me to pass along this correspondence with
      an eBay seller who has shipped my friend a load of records that are in G- to
      P- condition. Please read the attached and beware of the seller involved.

      For further details feel free to either write me at DrJazz78@...,
      or my friend at bowiebks@...

      Regards,
      Doug

      DrJazz78@...

    • drjazz78@aol.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          drjazz78@... wrote:

          > Greetings Gang,
          >
          > A non-list member has asked me to pass along this correspondence with
          > an eBay seller who has shipped my friend a load of records that are in G- to
          > P- condition. Please read the attached and beware of the seller involved.
          >
          > For further details feel free to either write me at DrJazz78@...,
          > or my friend at bowiebks@...
          >
          > Regards,
          > Doug

          So - check the seller's feedback before you bid; if nothing else I bet
          Mr. Bowie will raise a big red flag for this jerk. Talk about cutting
          your own throat - how much money is involved here, anyway? By far the
          easiest thing to do is apologize, refund and be done with it. I don't
          sell on Ebay regularly; but I've been shipping a few albums the past
          several weeks, and I took to putting a short "Statement of Condition" in
          with them in some cases, just a quick note that says I examined them on
          such and such a date and they were intact and in good condition. I
          thought of this mostly as a way of documenting shipping damage; if I
          said in writing that the records were intact, and now they're smashed,
          then there's a problem. It may be mine for packing wrong; but if it's
          the PO's then I want to be sure we can make a case that will stick.

          --
          David Sanderson
          East Waterford ME

          davids@...
          http://www.megalink.net/~davids
        • KHod243716@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            I think that, if an ebay seller describes a record as being in "good"
            condition, chances are he has no knowledge of accepted 78 grading
            standards, or if he does, you probably should avoid the record. Risky
            at best.

            Charlie H.
          • SLubin@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
              Hi,

              It takes all types. I once got a 78 sent broken with two others that were
              fine and the seller returned my money. I've had expensive sets of records
              sent from Europe in perfect shape, packed so well, even I couldn't believe
              the care that went into the packing.

              But another time I purchased a 78 set of a complete opera. Gilbert and
              Sullivan: THE MIKADO Victor DC-26. It arrived in a soft sided cardboard box
              crushed with newspapers around the set. The first disc had a two inch chunk
              missing from the edge. It was automatic set so the first side and last side
              are on the first disc. I went through every piece of newspaper and never
              found the broken piece. I did however find a bunch of nails taped together
              in the box. The seller had good feedback and said the set was sent in perfect
              condition. After a while, I gave up because I won on a very low bid.

              It only takes one bad experience to make you feel insecure about dealing on
              sights like Ebay.

              Seth Lubin

              PS If any one knows of a copy of the above set Victor DC-26, that they would
              care to sell, please contact me privately. The copy I have is a late
              pressing, and so an earlier Orthophonic Scroll pressing would be a plus.

              Seth Lubin
              Newark, NJ

            • Andrew S. Kida
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                I agree with the responses. If the seller does not have a grading system
                listed in their auctions, you should avoid them at all costs, unless the
                records go dirt cheap. It is truly nuts how some people try to sell records
                on ebay.

                On the other hand, I recently sold a nice jazz record that I listed in VG
                condition. the record actually played clearer than it looked and only sold
                for $3.50. The buyer returned it because the last 2 revolutions on one side
                were worn out for a phonograph reproducer being left running there. The guy
                demanded his money back because "money is tight right now". I was thinking,
                if money is tight, then why are you buying records? I felt that my grading
                was totally accurate, but in the best interest of not dealing with an
                argument over not a lot of money, I sent a refund "at my earliest
                convenience", and I have placed this person on my Bidder Block list on ebay.
                I hope you sellers are aware of this function. It gets rid of deadbeats!

                Andrew S. Kida
              • David Sanderson
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                  mbiel wrote:

                  > I think the problem here is that the complaint has not said the magic words "The description of the items was inaccurate." The seller has fallen back on two things: Postal insurance and his statement of "No Returns" in the original auction. He said they were in "good shape" when he sent them, which means nothing more than they were ROUND!! They are still "round" so postal insurance is not an issue--the condition of the groove surfaces was not affected by the shipping. So now we come to the "No Returns" statement. I think that even Ebay will agree that this would be null and void if the description was inaccurate. So THIS is the tactic that this seller needs to work on. What I find interesting is that his response claims that the reason he has the no return policy on records is "I HAVE HEARD IT'S EASY TO RECIEVE THESE RECORDS AND RECORD ON TAPE AND THEN COMPLAIN TO RETURN." But he has the SAME policy on the collectible glass bottles that he also sells!!!! Is this bec!
                  > ause you can record BOTTLES on tape and then complain to return them???
                  >
                  > For those who are interested, here are the URLs of his record auctions. THe first two are the ones our correspondent was unlucky enough to "win" and the 4th one is one that some other soul won. We should ask HIM how he feels about his batch of records!
                  >
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509371987
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509375434
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509381053
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509384969
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509444196
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509448654
                  >
                  > Then, for your enjoyment, here is his BOTTLE auction--this one is a riot!
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1073941815
                  >
                  > All his other auctions are for plants and seeds. And they ALSO are listed as NO RETURN. So if the plants arrive dead--as a couple did--or if the seeds don't sprout--it's not Spring yet--he is covered. No guarantees.
                  >
                  > Good luck. And I hope you do get a complaint served on this. I think it centers on whether the description can be said to be accurate.
                  >
                  > Mike Biel mbiel@...

                  Wow. I just looked at the auction, and read the guy's feedback,
                  prompted by Mike's comments. Mike doesn't even mention the fact that
                  this fellow got his caps lock stuck years ago and hasn't figured it out
                  - everything he's written is all caps. Bad sign. Not only does he not
                  know how to grade records; he is unable to make a readable listing of
                  them. That auction description is remarkable.

                  Then there's his feedback. If you use Ebay, you know that the feedback
                  process works by letting the buyer leave comments about the seller, and
                  vice versa. Each also has the opportunity to leave responses to the
                  other's comments. I always figured this was intended to allow one to
                  respond to critical comments, a way to offer some defense in difficult
                  situations. Not this character. Every single feedback comment from a
                  buyer has a response from him, positive if the buyer's comment is
                  positive, negative and defensive if they buyer's comment is negative. I
                  like this one:

                  Buyer : "BILLPOINT GAVE WRONG ADDRESS. PLANTS ARRIVED DEAD. NO
                  RECOURSE."
                  Seller's response : "GOOD HONEST E BAYER- THE PLANT PROBLEM WAS NEITHER
                  FAULT- AAAA".

                  Replace a few dollars worth of plants that went astray? Perish
                  (unintended pun...) the thought.

                  Never do business with a person who only types in caps.

                  --
                  David Sanderson
                  East Waterford ME

                  davids@...
                  http://www.megalink.net/~davids
                • mbiel

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                      Hi: Could make it crystal clear the name of the eBay seller who sold the
                      records in poor condition? I'd like to look over his prior auctions before
                      making any comment.

                      Barry/Mpls
                      > A non-list member has asked me to pass along this correspondence
                      with
                      > an eBay seller who has shipped my friend a load of records that are in G-
                      > P- condition. Please read the attached and beware of the seller involved.
                      >
                      > For further details feel free to either write me at
                      DrJazz78@...,
                      > or my friend at bowiebks@...
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Doug
                      >
                      > DrJazz78@...
                      > -----------------

                    • Barry/Mpls
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                        I buy a lot on eBay (sell too) and it's complicated: I have bid on "good"
                        condition records that everybody else left alone and they were just fine. I
                        have bid on better condition records that I was disappointed with.

                        But...other than receiving a record broken...sent by a jerk who had no idea
                        how to pack a 78 (quite a long while ago), I have, in the main, been very
                        happy with the records I have bought on eBay.

                        PLEASE share with all of us the eBay seller's name of the offender...this
                        way, those who want to can go to eBay and check out his wares, etc.

                        Barry/Mpls
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                          Criminey....just looked at the first closed auction...and there's lots of
                          flags going up in my head about this auction. First, the guy can't spell
                          'description'. Second, 'records are in good condition but no return' would
                          certainly spark a pre-bid email to the guy. Third, his listing of the
                          records is weird and sloppy.

                          I would've proceeded VERY carefully...or not bid at all on auctions from
                          this guy.

                          I have successfully sold 78's on eBay without the benefit of a scanner to
                          display the record....I just described the condition....I'm not too
                          impressed with gradings 'cause they mean different things to different
                          people. Instead, smart people who sell and buy on eBay have a right to
                          expect the seller to DESCRIBE fully the condition of the records.....list
                          any deep scratches, digs, cracks, chips, or grey-ware, as well as the
                          condition of the label.

                          Barry/Mpls
                          > I think the problem here is that the complaint has not said the magic
                          words "The description of the items was inaccurate." The seller has fallen
                          back on two things: Postal insurance and his statement of "No Returns" in
                          the original auction. He said they were in "good shape" when he sent them,
                          which means nothing more than they were ROUND!! They are still "round" so
                          postal insurance is not an issue--the condition of the groove surfaces was
                          not affected by the shipping. So now we come to the "No Returns" statement.
                          I think that even Ebay will agree that this would be null and void if the
                          description was inaccurate. So THIS is the tactic that this seller needs to
                          work on. What I find interesting is that his response claims that the
                          reason he has the no return policy on records is "I HAVE HEARD IT'S EASY TO
                          RECIEVE THESE RECORDS AND RECORD ON TAPE AND THEN COMPLAIN TO RETURN." But
                          he has the SAME policy on the collectible glass bottles that he also
                          sells!!!! Is this bec!
                          > ause you can record BOTTLES on tape and then complain to return them???
                          >
                          > For those who are interested, here are the URLs of his record auctions.
                          THe first two are the ones our correspondent was unlucky enough to "win" and
                          the 4th one is one that some other soul won. We should ask HIM how he feels
                          about his batch of records!

                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509371987
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509375434
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509381053
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509384969
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509444196
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1509448654
                          >
                          > Then, for your enjoyment, here is his BOTTLE auction--this one is a riot!
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1073941815
                          >
                          > All his other auctions are for plants and seeds. And they ALSO are listed
                          as NO RETURN. So if the plants arrive dead--as a couple did--or if the
                          seeds don't sprout--it's not Spring yet--he is covered. No guarantees.

                          > Good luck. And I hope you do get a complaint served on this. I think it
                          centers on whether the description can be said to be accurate.

                          > Mike Biel mbiel@...

                        • nippernchipper
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                            the first two problems i see is someone actually bought records from
                            a seed dealer in the first place and without a picture to show what
                            the condition was as well,why does something always have to be the
                            sellers fault,-------oh no its never my fault as the bidder!!!!!!!!

                            bill