Shelor Family

  • SWind15443@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Happy New Year! I'm in search of a 78 rpm recording by the Shelor Family,
      "Big Bend Gal" (Victor 20865). Also, does anyone know where I can get the
      lyrics to this tune?

      All the best,
      Ben Windham
    • Peter Fraissinet
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
        Ben,
        The lyrics are below, as I hear them. They come really quick and fast and
        in dialect, so there are likely other "readings" of the song. You can find
        the 1927 Shelor Family version reissued on two LPs: RCA Victor LPV-552
        (Vintage Series: Early Rural Sting Bands) (1968), and Blue Ridge Institute
        BRI-005 (Virginia Traditions: Blue Ridge Piano Styles) (1981). The latter
        may also be on CD by now; if it is it will be on the Global Village label
        (there are others of the BRI Virginia Traditions series on Global Village).
        I will dub this for you if you need it. (Contact privately.)

        Peter Fraissinet
        West Danby, NY
        pf13@...
        **************************

        Big Bend Gal (<Shelor Family)

        There's no use in talkin' 'bout the Big Bend Gal
        That lives on the county line
        For Betsy Jane from the prairie plain
        Just leaves them all behind
        You never would see such a likely woman
        If you search out all creation
        She beats all the gals from the flat creek bottom
        She's the queen of the whole plantation

        She totes herself like a flying squirrel
        And draws lots of n*****s all around
        And lord how the dewdrops get off the grass
        When she puts that foot upon the ground
        She's just as ripe as an apple on a tree
        She's so pretty and smug
        And her mouth's just as sweet as a corncob stopper
        That comes out of a molasses jug

        Well the calf comes lopin' when the old cow calls
        And the possum dog comes to the horn
        And the grapevine climbs up the tall oak tree
        And the morning glory wraps around the corn
        Well the n*****s come around and they come mighty quick
        When the hear that yellow gal laugh
        And she hangs on his arm like a bud on a tree
        As they both go walkin' down the path

        Her eyes give light like a foxfire chunk
        And her teeth are all white as snow
        And the n*****s in the cotton patch keep a-lookin' back
        When they see her come a-choppin' down the row
        She'll crowd those hands where the crabgrass grows
        And she'll kill all the weeds as she goes
        And she comes up the furrow with a cloud of dust
        As she busts them clods with a hoe