Union show

  • Andrew S. Kida
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
      For all those who are in the know, or maybe you're not in the know. there
      is a phonograph show in Union, Illinois next weekend, June 9 & 10. there
      will be a lot of phonograph stuff, but there will be a whole bunch of
      records too. I am bringing about 1,500 - 2,000 records. the records will
      be priced at $2 each or 6 for $10. I will have some records set aside that
      will be priced different, but I would say 90% of the records will be at the
      easy price. You may find some great bargains at my booth, or at others. I
      just sold a Cameo vernon Dalhart that I thought might go for a couple of
      bucks that hit $61. I probably have a few more of these in my stacks (yes,
      my famous stacks that many of you have heard of). My records will all be
      alpabetized by A side artist, so they should be easy to figure out. I will
      also have electricity in my booth and an electric machine so you can hear
      the records before you buy them. Should be loads of fun. This is a pretty
      big deal. If you have the time, I would highly recommend it. If you have
      any questions, please feel free to contact me. If you are aware of this
      show but have not heard of the recent events, please be aware that the
      Friday auction has been cancelled. PLease email me if you have any other
      Questions. Regards,

      Andy
    • thegoldenage
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
        Are you indoors or out under the tent? How will we knot it's you, for those
        who have never seen you?

        Frank

        > For all those who are in the know, or maybe you're not in the know. there
        > is a phonograph show in Union, Illinois next weekend, June 9 & 10. there
        > will be a lot of phonograph stuff, but there will be a whole bunch of
        > records too. I am bringing about 1,500 - 2,000 records. the records
        will
        > be priced at $2 each or 6 for $10. I will have some records set aside
        that
        > will be priced different, but I would say 90% of the records will be at
        the
        > easy price. You may find some great bargains at my booth, or at others.
        > just sold a Cameo vernon Dalhart that I thought might go for a couple of
        > bucks that hit $61. I probably have a few more of these in my stacks
        (yes,
        > my famous stacks that many of you have heard of). My records will all be
        > alpabetized by A side artist, so they should be easy to figure out. I
        will
        > also have electricity in my booth and an electric machine so you can hear
        > the records before you buy them. Should be loads of fun. This is a
        pretty
        > big deal. If you have the time, I would highly recommend it. If you have
        > any questions, please feel free to contact me. If you are aware of this
        > show but have not heard of the recent events, please be aware that the
        > Friday auction has been cancelled. PLease email me if you have any other
        > Questions. Regards,
        >

        > Andy

      • Michael F. Khanchalian
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
          As always I'll be set up at my regular booth this year at Union, so Don't Forget your cylinders that need restoration.......Brown and Black waxes primarily.

          We restore in most cases at the booth and you have them back before you leave.

          Have a great show!

          Kind regards,

          Michael Khanchlian DDS (the cylinder doctor)

        • wesbob@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2001
            Michael:

            Not that I collect cylinders as such - but one
            item you mentioned triggered my interest.

            Is the "booth at Union" at Union College in
            Schenectady, NY. Just happens that I am
            a 1958 graduate of that fine school!

            You have more pressing business to attend
            so I shall end this brief e-mail.

            Bob Wessells
            Harwich, MA
          • Andrew S. Kida
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2001
              I have a couple of questions that I think a couple of people might be able
              to help me with.

              I just found a Frank Sinatra on V-Disc. Was V-Disc a military issue thing?
              Also, what is the collectability of vdisc. I have seen rock and roll
              v-discs go pretty high, but I'm not so sure about Sinatra.

              Does anyone know anything about record sleeves? I just found a Columbia
              record sleeve I have never seen before. It appears to be an early one from
              when they first started producing double sided discs.

              I also found some record sleeves from the New York Phonograph Company. Any
              info on them?

              Slightly off topic. I bought a couple of 16 inch 33 1/3's. 1 is RCA
              Victor NE1-MM-8143 The Phil Harris Alice Faye show and the other side has
              the Tony Martin Jo Stafford show. The other record is from the Veterans
              Administration program #265 The Jess Stacey Show and #266 Roy Rogers.

              Any information on these would be greatly appreciated. Of course, these
              items will be going up for sale on ebay, but if somone wants something off
              list, then please email me with that information 'off list'. Thanks

              Andy
            • Andrew S. Kida
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2001
                The Union show is in Union Illinois. there was a New Jersy show a few weeks
                ago.

                Andy
              • David Lennick
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001
                  What's that? You say somebody might WANT some Here's to Veterans programs? How
                  many you want?

                  I'd be inclined to say that any that have good gospel or jazz or r&b or certain
                  country artists on them are worth bucks. I don't buy them myself unless they're
                  $5 a pop and even then I wonder why I bother.

                  dl

                  Harlan Zinck wrote:

                  > Andrew S. Kida <stagelft@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > "I bought a couple of 16 inch 33 1/3's. 1 is RCA Victor NE1-MM-8143 The
                  > Phil Harris Alice Faye show and the other side has the Tony Martin Jo
                  > Stafford show. The other record is from the Veterans Administration
                  > program #265 The Jess Stacey Show and #266 Roy Rogers.
                  > Any information on these would be greatly appreciated."
                  >
                  > Given that these are pressings and likely run 15-minutes, I assume that the
                  > Harris/Martin disk is probably a public service disk (Red Cross or something
                  > similar). These were mailed out to stations free of charge and, since many
                  > were produced, they are far less valuable than one-of-a-kind lacqquers would
                  > be of original broadcast versions of these same shows. The VA disk is from
                  > the "Here's to Veterans" series, also a public service series, which began
                  > in 1946 and ran at least throughout the 1950's.
                  >
                  > Both of these disks probably contain material which was originally broadcast
                  > on the stars' network programs along with specially recorded material
                  > promoting VA or other worthy activities. They're both fairly common, though
                  > I have seen disks similar to the Harris/Martin one go for around $20 on
                  > eBay. "Here's to Veterans" disks are literally everywhere and only those
                  > that feature particular stars seem to have much value. Still, one never
                  > knows until the auction is over!
                  >
                  > Hope this helps --
                  >
                  > Harlan Zinck

                • Michael Biel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001

                    Harlan Zinck wrote:
                    > The VA disk is from the "Here's to Veterans" series, also a public service series, which began
                    > in 1946 and ran at least throughout the 1950's.

                    > Harlan Zinck

                    I didn't answer the questions before because they really are more the
                    type of thing for the 78-L. But because Harlan didn't give an exact
                    date for the first disc I thought that both Andrew and Harlan would like
                    to know that the exact year can be ascertained from the matrix number
                    prefix because it is RCA Victor. NE1-MM-8143 N means it is a 16-inch
                    transcription for NBC. Then follows their standard prefix which has the
                    letter standing for the decade, E being the 1950s, and 1 being the year
                    in that decade. E1=1951. I gave a full accounting of RCA Victor's
                    prefix code a year or two ago on the 78-L.

                    As for the VA disc, sometimes the release air date is on the label, but
                    sometimes a recording or dubbing date is encoded in the matrix number.
                    This is why, as Harlan knows, I preach in the Old Time Radio circle that
                    these numbers must be written down by the people who have access to the
                    original disc. Record collectors know this--OTR people don't and many
                    could care less.

                    Mike Biel mbiel@...
                  • Harlan Zinck
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001
[...]

                      General Manager
                      First Generation Radio Archives
                      "Preserving Radio's Past for the Future"
                      http://www.radioarchives.org
                    • David Lennick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 6, 2001
                        (This thread should be over on 78-l!) One great GUEST STAR was the one with
                        Noel Coward. I put that on a Pearl cd last year.

                        dl

                        Harlan Zinck wrote:

                        > I am curious to know whether anyone has ever considered taking musical
                        > numbers from any of these shows - Vets, Guest Star, Stars for Defense, etc.
                        > - and using them as the basis for a post-war CD music compilation. For all
                        > the iffy interest in the actual shows, they were usually well recorded and
                        > might have some value this way. And, since they were pressed by the hundreds
                        > and often went unplayed by local stations, there's lots of copies around in
                        > perfect condition.

                      • Harlan Zinck
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 6, 2001
                          David Lennick wrote:

                          "What's that? You say somebody might WANT some Here's to Veterans programs?
                          How many you want?"

                          None at the moment, since the Archives seems to have hundreds of them --
                          right alongside "Guest Star," the Savings Bonds series which also ran
                          forever. The suckers seem to breed when I'm not looking.

                          The one saving grace of the Veterans show, at least in the late 40's
                          releases, is that they commonly use bits and pieces from network broadcasts.
                          This is a good thing when the network versions either aren't known to exist
                          or aren't in circulation. At best, though, they're still about as satisfying
                          as an AFRS edit -- less so, actually, because they're shorter and usually
                          not edited all that well.

                          I am curious to know whether anyone has ever considered taking musical
                          numbers from any of these shows - Vets, Guest Star, Stars for Defense, etc.
                          - and using them as the basis for a post-war CD music compilation. For all
                          the iffy interest in the actual shows, they were usually well recorded and
                          might have some value this way. And, since they were pressed by the hundreds
                          and often went unplayed by local stations, there's lots of copies around in
                          perfect condition.

                          Thanks also to Mike Biel for his comments regarding matrix numbers. We make
                          it a practice to record all of this info whenever we digitally transfer an
                          original disk, as well as to retain a high-res scan of the disk labels. As
                          he demonstrated, this little habit can result in a wealth of information for
                          future researchers. And he's also right that many if not most OTR fans never
                          keep track of such data. More's the pity.

                          Harlan

                          Harlan Zinck
                          General Manager
                          First Generation Radio Archives
                          "Preserving Radio's Past for the Future"
                          http://www.radioarchives.org

                          PS: The next time I find myself mired in disk cataloging, remind me how I
                          referred to this job as a "little habit," OK?