Re: 78 vs the rest....

  • spats@xxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 1998
      I buy 78s and CDs.

      There's 'something' about the 78 sound that appeals to me, as well as
      handling the objects. Apart from dropping them or abusing them with heavy
      used-steel needle sound-boxes, they're pretty hardy, too!

      CDs offer the possibility of LONG plays without getting off your seat and
      almost impossibility to damage them accidentally. also, programmes like
      CEDAR enable us to hear 78s without the hiss and scratch! After all, these
      artistes weren't really performing next to pans of egg and bacon frying! ;>

      Vinyl LPs, however, are not that long and are REALLY easy to damage....
      There's something about the sound I don't like so much either, though it's
      difficult to put my finger on just what...

      Earl.
    • Razano@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 1998
        holy enchiladas!

        Submit this sumptuous tome to DOWNBEAT!

        Very well written, and quite poignant.

        I am being drawn into this discussion mostly as a casual listener to 78's.
        Through the past years, I have wasted many Sinatra, Miller, Ekstein, and other
        blues, pop and hill billy 78's, as I played them, stacked them, cracked them
        and shellacked them! I agree in spirit with the dude that prefers 78's,
        although not technically. There is no comparison of the heightened enjoyment
        felt upon hearing a well conditioned 78 recording of Sinatra, as opposed to
        hearing the same product on a reissue, regardless the medium. I believe that
        the ambience of the music coming from a 78, simply cannot be duplicated in
        l.p.'s, or c.d.'s.

        Technically, of course, given a good master, a good sound dude, and a
        recording team sensitive to the music involved, the sound-reproduction quality
        of lp's, and yes, even CD (except for Beatle CD's), can be superior to the
        original.

        Again, I want to express my appriciation to the writer who so eloquently
        stated his case, and to the other dude, who seems to know his 78 r.p.m.
        territory!

        con safos

        jose