The Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors

  • radioarchivist
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hello!

      I don't normally publicize our new Premier Collections CD releases via
      78-C, but we've just introduced a new set which I know will be
      tremendously exciting to quite a few of the people who subscribe to this
      list.

      Produced by Transco, the Transcription Company of America, "The Cocoanut
      Grove Ambassadors" was a syndicated series of "remotes" that replicated
      the sound and style of live broadcasts of the early 1930s. Featuring the
      bands that played at the Cocoanut Grove nightclub at the Ambassador
      Hotel in Los Angeles - Gus Arnheim, Ted Fio Rito, Phil Harris, Jimmy
      Grier, and others - these fifteen-minute programs were heard nationwide
      from about 1931 thru 1934. The programs were beautifully recorded and,
      when heard today, offer not only rich room-filling sound but also
      arrangements that were either not commercially released or are performed
      in full-length versions that extend far beyond the three-minute running
      time of most commercially offered 78's of the time.

      Radio Archives has been fortunate to gain access to a large collection
      of original 16" Transco recordings from the personal collection of
      long-time enthusiast Jim Bedoian. We made brand new digital transfers
      from these rare shellac discs, then both CEDAR processed and
      painstakingly restored forty full-length programs from "The Cocoanut
      Grove Ambassadors" radio series. These shows, presented in full-length
      format complete with openings, closings, and song introductions, are now
      available in a brand new 10-CD Premier Collection.

      Over the years, musical selections from some of these programs have been
      offered on LPs, tapes, and CDs -- but, to my knowledge, this is the
      first time that so many of them have been made available in a single
      collection, complete and just as originally aired in the early 1930s.

      You can read all about "The Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors" at:

      http://www.radioarchives.org/sets/PC70.htm

      These beautifully packaged sets also make great gifts, so be sure to
      order now in plenty of time for Christmas delivery.

      Thanks and Happy Holidays from Radio Archives!

      Harlan Zinck

      Preservation Manager

      First Generation Radio Archives
      "Preserving Radio's Past for the Future"