Dice games and money

  • Stephen O'Brien
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hope everyone had a good xmas and a happy new year.

      Have been trawling through the archive to see if this had been asked
      before, got to post 4011 and desided that im to tired and going to
      ask it even if it has been asked. Sorry. I did find this
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/75years/message/3578 which was helpful
      but hasn't anwserd all my question. Which is, are there any rules
      for dice games from our peirod that I could sit and play with people
      when I'm at a show. Idealy I'd want to do it as a demenstration for
      the public so the more info on the game the better.

      Also the money bit, which is sort of related, I want to find out more
      info about the money system used in England over the peirod. The
      side im realy after is how much stuff cost. I'm mainly interested in
      the years 1290-1300 but I relise that thats quite a long time and
      things change. I have no idea how to get access to records or even
      how to read them so moden English translations would be needed and
      prefrebly not to chalenging as I'm an engineering student. :)

      Hope you can help

      Steve
    • Melanie Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
        >Which is, are there any rules
        for dice games from our peirod that I could sit and play with people
        when I'm at a show.

        Just with dice ? There is a version of 9 mens morris that includes dice, but as far as I know the complete rules arn't known.

        For info on Extant die I'd recommend Macgregors Skeletal materials book, From the library it is OPP at the moment but rumour has it a reprint is in the offing.

        MacGregor, Arthur: Bone, Antler, Ivory and Horn - The Technology of Skeletal Materials Since the Roman Period; Croom Helm, London and Sydney, Barnes and Noble, Totowa, New Jersey, ISBN (OOP) 0709932421, 1985 TT288.M# LoC 84-18535, 245pp with illus., Contents: Raw Materials, Bone and Antler as Materials, Availability, Handicraft as Industry, Working Methods and Tools, Artefacts of Skeletal Materials - a typological review, Bibliography, Index.

        > Idealy I'd want to do it as a demenstration for
        the public so the more info on the game the better.

        I seem to remember the numbering system differing in the 13th C but I'd need to check. Here we go from 13th C onwards deviations 1 opp 2 ,3 opp 4, 5 opp six As for games themselves I think Strutt's sports and pastimes, is your best bet, he records some ten 12th century games. Traditiona Games of England, Scotland anf Ireland Gomme, might show shomething but it is more children's games orientated

        Bell Board and Table games has a chapter on dice games

        >The
        side im realy after is how much stuff cost.

        You need to try and get hold of the Records of an area many of these were translated from Latin in the 19th C and can be found second hand.

        There is the Pipe rolls of Winchester in part avaliable on the web IMR as well as others , lots on the web, but they tend to concentrat on the areas the person studdied eg cloth, horses etc

        1290-1300 isn't a very long time to find records in you might need to look either side a bit more.

        Some web pages to start you off

        http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/medievalprices.html
        http://www.medievalhistory.net/1208pipe.htm
        http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/munro5/SPICES1.htm

        Not all cover your period but itshows an example of what is there sit down & google :))

        If you are at Uni there is a high chance there is lots in the library

        Mel

        Company, unless specifically stated. You should not copy, forward or
        otherwise disclose the contents of this e-mail or any of its attachments
        without express consent

      • Jo Burrows
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
          The thing about prices, especially when it comes to things like wages, is often non-monetary items were part of the 'pay' but often the bookkeeping just recorded the daily wage. I know, for example, that the annual wage of gardeners included gloves, boots, a sherte and aprons. The source (Huntington I believe but I will look it up when I get home) states that undergardeners got hemp shertes and head gardeners got linen ones. It also specifies the aprons were to be of hemp and how many. I think the source was 16th C but I know there are earlier ones.
          Tanikh