Hmm (remember Japanese co-operative Robot Tv shows?)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2013
      Yesterday, having my morning coffee, I saw an article in PULSE, the online news aggregate ap I have on my tablet, that fascinated me.

      "Life imitates art", you might say:

      The German army is deploying a sort of version of Google Glass to its troops.  Equiping 10 man infantry squads with a helicopter 'mother ship' backup/drop off/air evac.

      Now here is where it gets spooky--not only do they have all the standard stuff like infra red, intersquad radio, etc., but they also have friend and enemy info (blue army/red army) and targeting all in one HUD.  And yes, the HUD follows eye movements.  Couple all of this to a "mother ship" helicoptor with modular weapons systems and what have you got?

      A real-life combat video game with real-life opponents that die, that's what.

      That 10 man squad is consequently able to function as one "organism" with this kind of setup, as if it had one mind directing every individual soldier.  Well, they are human and fallible after all, so things can go wrong, but you get the general idea.

      This is not SF, this is not way off in the future.  It is real and right now.  It will be deployed in Afghanistan this year by Germany.

      If you want to check out the company that makes it, wikipedia RHINEMETALL.  Turns out they predate the 3rd Reich and still make tons of weapons and weapon systems for Germany.

      You will NOT find that combat system on their website, but I tracked it down to "IdZ" which is the name of it on Wikipedia.  For some reason the video showing it off has been deleted on Youtube.   Ahem.  I wonder why?  (nudge nudge, wink wink).

      If you want to go further, you are going to have to speak fluent German.  I didn't see English as an alternative on their web page, but maybe I just missed it.  It's possible.

      Heh!  The future is NOW, it seems.  Who would have thought it?

      Badger