Re: [RecRoom] WOW!!!

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
      thanks Norm.  I've seen that statue before but not the bas-relief.  =)

      Pomp. and Herc. are both only slightly excavated and the oldest arena in the republic/empire is there (uncovered) and that's why I'd like to see more of them.  Lots of murals and mosaics.   Funny thing about Rome at least, the patricians lived all over the city, not in a neighborhood or enclave like social/money classes started doing later in cities, so there's plenty of rich stuff to be found still in those two cities.

      I recall several huge palatial homes that were closed back up in the 1800s because of escaping posionous gasses killing excavators as they broke through walls.  They aren't going anywhere--still there to be dug back out again.....   LOL

      On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM, MCEVOY NORMAN <nmcevoy@...> wrote:

      What female gladiators looked like:

      http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/16228

      Eileen

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
        Thank you Eileen. I'm mildy confused and curious why you used Norm's account but still am glad for the information.

        Sliding towards sunrise,
        Brian Jordan, pre-occupied by excessive feline purring but not gone forever.

        I know. I was just fascinated by the armor and the woman in it, actress or not.

        There's another link showing a historical full set assembled on display somewhere on that url/page. If you don't find it I'll dig it out from my folders.

        Lordy I'd love to see a contemporary depiction of a woman gladiator! Bet they used germanic types, for size and strength. Wish they'd dig out the rest of Pompei and Herculaneum. Has to be more murals there somewhere. Heck, Nero's wife had a residence there. BIG thing!

        Badg

        _,___
      • MCEVOY NORMAN
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
          lol, because the yahoo group wouldn't recognize my address for some reason.

          Eileen