Free Photoshop/no catches

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
      Above subject is not an ad, spam, or a joke.  I just stumbled over this today and thought I'd share it around.

      The article explains why.  Honest, folks, you don't need content aware or puppet wrap unless you retouch/restore photos for a living, like me.  I used the rubber stamp/clone tool and the precursor of the content aware tool (spot healing) for
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
        I wish they would have done this a year ago...

        I could have saved a bundle... I've got CS6...New.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
          My sympathies to you.  I got CS4 a few months before CS5 came out, and the content-aware feature slowly convinced me to spend the extra on CS5.  Naturally CS6 with selective bokeh came trundling down the path not too terribly long after that.  Sheesh......  At that point I called a halt and stopped upgrading.

          As it turned out, besides content-aware, the other feature "puppet wrap" that excited me so much, I wound up never using.

          Still have my CS4 Extended, since CS5 is an upgrade, but again I've never used all the really cool goodies in it, like 3D rendering.

          The irony of it all is that while content-aware speeds up my restorations hugely, I still use the clone tool it was supposed to make superfluous, and I use it constantly.  Sometimes nearly 50% of what I do is cloning, with content-aware to clean it up.  Don't get me wrong, I love content-aware, but it's not the magic superduper cure-all that I thought it would be.  It does speed things up considerably though, which is a big help.

          A shame you didn't look at Elements 9 or 10.  Fraction of the price and while it is limited you can get around a lot of that.  I got sent one free with my purchase of an Epson scanner and I've looked at it.

          Give a holler if you get the urge to upgrade the CS6.  We can form our own 12-step Photoshop Anonymous group.

          Badg