Minor absurdity

  • bjordan8
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2012
      Minna:

      As Christmas approaches and Nabiki basks in all the wonderful people spending so much to prepare for the end of the Mayan calendar (I've learned not to ask questions I really don't want answered) I have found an oddity I'm seeking comments on of a somewhat serious nature.

      Somewhere in the last year or so I've begun seriously collecting Case Closed, the Viz version of the manga series Detective Conan. At this point I have only nine volumes of the American version missing. For eight of those (and any of those I already picked up) the usual asking price is $10.00 or less.

      For volume 34, the lowest offered is around $65.00.

      This leaves me flabbergasted. What makes this volume so incredibly desirable? I've read the promo text and do not see anything that can explain it. I tend to skip fan translations of manga that are being commerically released on general principle: if I'm interested enough to read, I should be willing to fork over cash to (or at least borrow it from the library (mine doesn't have it, already checked.)) so that option is out.

      So I'm wondering if any of you have the foggiest idea what the blazes is going on here.

      Sliding towards sunrise,
      Brian Jordan

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 16, 2012
          Like Giant Monsters?

          Like Giant Robots?

          Like Giant Monsters fighting Giant Robots?

          Here you go :
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2vKz7WnU83E&feature=endscreen

          Coming in 2013. I think I'll go see this. :)

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
            I have seen Pacific Rim...

            and IT IS AWESOME!

            The story is one we're all familiar with - Monster from Space Invade Earth.  Earthlings rise to the challenge, and overcome huge obstacles to win the day, after great sacrifice.

            What most live action films lack is anime pacing and style, Which Pacific Rim has.  Guillermo Del Toro does not dissappoint.

            This movie was the most fun I've had all year, and worth every cent I paid to see it.

            If you're a mecha nut, go see it!  If you're a kaiju fan, go see it!  Even if you like a good action film, GO SEE IT!

            (And the film is dedicated to Ichiro Honda and Ray Harryhausen, which is waaay cool, too!)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
              Steve,

              Interestingly enough, I finally saw the Pacific Rim trailers last night and I got pretty excited too.  Ck'd them out on Youtube.  Going to see it, but maybe not in a theatre.  Have not decided yet.

              At the same time, I looked for Beyond: Two Souls, and WOW (!) for the first time ever I really wanted to buy a game!  Unfortunately, it is PS3/4 only.

              Out of curiosity I looked at The Last of Us as well, and man Oh man, another one I'm drooling for.....

              Was quite a night--I surfed just about everything I could find on Youtube on the 3 above.  I even did some 30+ minute videos on Beyond and Last.  I'm sick and tired of Somalia by this point (Beyond) but I'm thinking about looking at a 1.5 hour Beyond that showed up on Youtube as well.  Pretty cool concept in Beyond--you follow the heroine thru 15 years of her life and countless other missions as well.

              Ella Peel and William Dafoe are the stars in it....whew....

              Badger

              On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Steve Pettit <kryslin@...> wrote:

[...]

              Steve

            • MCEVOY NORMAN
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
                See it in the theatre, totally worth it.

                Eileen

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
                  Badger:

                  Keep in mind that the theatre here in Creston doesn't normally run movies like this, and I had to drive to Des Moines to see it.

                  If I thought I could get away with it tomorrow, I'd drive there and go see it again!

                  So yes, go see it in a theatre;  2D or 3D, your choice (I chose 2D, 3D movies give me headaches).  It is worth it.