Re: [RecRoom] Re: Space-ing Out

  • Steven Pettit
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
    Yahoo ate my formatting for the T-Shirt, so let me save a few hundred words of strong language, and simply attach a picture...

    Message 2 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
      Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Badger

      [Attachment(s) from Steven Pettit included below]

      Message 3 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
        Sweet!  Nice travelogue, Steve!  Thanks!

        Badg

        On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Kryslin <kryslin@...> wrote:

        Boy, things have changed since I was there last in May of '91... And for the better.

        Still, the $50 admission would be a kicker for most people, but that gets you a full day and a normal bus tour, plus admission to the Astronaut hall of fame on the next day.

        Special tours are $25 extra, and they advise you should book ahead... And I found out why - Disney Cruises runs groups through the KSC. So no VAB for me... Instead, I went to see USAFB Cape Canaveral. Unfortunately, no picture taking was allowed on base. :( Still, I got to see the Mercury and Gemini launch sites, and see the Atlas V that will be launching in 10 days being put together.

        The Saturn V that would have been Apollo XVIII is now inside, restored to like new condition in a climate controlled facility, and on display for all to see... And it is HUGE up close. It is said that it is still the world's most complicated machine, some 60 years after it was designed.

        And, I cried. My late father had always wanted to go, and I have strong memories of me staying up late to watch the Apollo landings on our new Color TV with him. All my childhood dreams are there - who, as a kid, doesn't want to be an astronaut?

        Got some souvenirs as well - I have a plain black T-Shirt that has the 80's NASA logo on it, and my mom gets a pair; One reads "I Need My Space!"(With Kennedy Space Center underneath it), the other is:

        1 n
        B > — E Xi (Or, for the less mathematically inclined,
        n i=1 (Be greater than average. The "E" should be
        the greek capital letter Sigma, which means 'Sum')

        I also got a couple of interesting surprises...

        The first is this - The company I work for, Wellman Dynamics, has made parts for the Space Program for the last 50+ years. They were originally known as Hills-McCanna Corp., and made parts for Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne... The people who make all the powerful liquid fuel engines for NASA... I got a close look at an F1 engine on display, and could my company's old name on the part, an aluminum turbopump housing. Out near LC-39A, they have a SSME-2 (Space Shuttle Main Engine, Block 2) on display, and I could see the WDC (what is cast on every casting we make as Wellman Dynamics Corp.) on another Turbopump housing, for the Low Pressure Oxygen TurboPump.

        The second is more interesting - The first time I ventured to Central Florida by myself as a tourist was in May of 1991 (I was there when the Astronaut Memorial was dedicated). While at EPCOT at Disney, I met a charming lady from Ireland, who has stopped and chatted with me for a while, before moving on. I met her again today, 20 years older, but yet still looking much like she had that first meeting, so long ago... Even more surprising was the fact we both remembered. This time, I have an address for her.

        Keep in mind I consider myself a most unremarkable and unmemorable person. That some should remember me after meeting me once, 20 years ago...

        Also, tried Dixie Crossroads. I was a little nervous, since a couple of locals I know via the Internet had some reservations about the place, namely that it was a touristy restaurant and that service could suck if they got busy. I though I was going to have a wait to get seated, since I got there about 6:30pm. Service was excellent, and the food good (I had rock shrimp, Scallops, and Mahi-mahi, with Clam Chowder, Crabby bites, and a slice of key lime pie). I'm pretty sure the waitress was watching for when I got finished with something, because the next dish was there when I was done.

        And I actually managed to tidy up a small snippet for the Sixth Column, too. All in all, a good day.

        Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
          Well, I definitely spaced out Sunday, and not the NASA kind of spaced out; I decided I'd go and spend the day at Sea World Orlando, to see how well the place had held up over the last 25 years; Every company at (the now defunct) USN RTC Orlando got a controlled liberty at Sea World, which is the last time I was there, in June of 1985.

          <RANT>
          Sad to say, I don't think it's held up very well. I'm finding it hard to type with one arm, because they took the other as part of admission (Even with Veteran's Discount, Parking and Admission was $100+). I'm missing a few fingers and toes as well, because the food was expensive - Moreso than what is out at the WDC Property (which, actually, is fairly reasonable). I went on one ride, Journey to Atlantis, and discovered that they are not made for people who stand more than 5'10", and weigh more than 160# (178cm/73kg). I've a bruise on both thighs from the restraints, and the chain that hauled the boat up the incline to the first drop jerked it so hard my back is sore; I informed the exit crew of the jerking problem; I had to explain to the ride manager I wasn't going to do anything, I was just informing him of the problem with the ride. I get the feeling mine wasn't the first complaint, but I was probably the first not threatening litigation or medical claims. This, however, put me off trying any of the other rides on the site. So thought I'd go see a show or two, since they were free... only to discover that both the shows I was interested in started at the same time, which was 5 minutes prior, and the next ones were 3 hours hence...

          AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
          </RANT>

          It was after this point I decided to cut my losses on the day, buy my usual souvenirs, and leave, having dropped around $175 for a sore back and knees, 2 t-shirts, lunch (probably the best part of the day, because the overpriced food was very good overpriced food), and another 60 miles on the rental car...

          EPCOT or Animal Kingdom would have been a better choice for my day. I would have enjoyed it more, that's for sure.

          I wish my original plans had held up, because I suspect the day would have been more fun... (whether or not it would have been cheaper, who knows...) (I have friends in the Orlando area, and I had warned them I was going to be in the area, and if they wanted to do something, but all were busy.)

          In comparison, my trip home was easy, and almost fun;  My flights were on time, I had upgraded seating for free because of the fiasco leaving, no extra charges from the rental car outift that I didn't already know about.  I was probably within 20 miles of Badger at one point today (I had a lay over of 2 hours at Hartsfield International), and eventually made my way home;  I did have to go through the full body scanner in Orlando, and when I was thanked for my cooperation, I told the Security person "Me getting upset with you only means I get the special security screening, which wouldn't make either of our days any better."  He chuckled at that, and I moved swiftly through the line.

          I did have a bit of a wait for my luggage at Des Moines, and then it was home.

          ...Only to discover another friend out east has suffered a minor stroke and had been hospitalized.

          All in all, a much need vacation in which some lessons were learned...

          I should have my pictures processed and up in my Photobucket account after Thanksgiving.

          Steve
        • PJ Cody
          Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
            Steve,

            Wow! Pretty interesting vacation you had and I'd be lying if I was'nt drooling over some of the NASA stuff you got to see especially the rocket during construction. ^_^

            Shame that Sea World has pretty much dropped in overall quality over the years since I remember having some very good times there the last time I was at Disney/Sea World back in the late 80's. Even the Sea World parks that I've seen here in San Diego and up north towards Walnut Creek are more like glorified aquatic parks with a traditional theme park slapped onto them. The phrase "doer of all master of none" comes to mind when you walk around with prices for even the most cheap food and other items up in lower Earth orbit. I mean at least with Disney you somewhat expect it but paying $20 for a cheap shirt that has the park logo on it is a bit insane IMHO.

            Looking forward to seeing some of the pics you took since the last ones I remember you and Badger-san sharing where incredible. ^_^

            On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Steve Pettit <kryslin@...> wrote:

[...]

            "People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right'. Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work." Clarissa in The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith.
            Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012

              On 11/20/2012 9:46 AM, PJ Cody wrote:

[...]

              The really good ones are Panorama composites that I took, those are what will take a while to process.

              I got a number of good shots at the LC-39 viewing platform, and while driving past the VAB, and while walking around the visitors center.
              None from USAFS Cape Canaveral - We were inside the secure areas, so NO photography.  Still, I got a thumbdrive packed with NASA stock photos, and some of them are awesome...