Re: [RecRoom] Weighty problem

  • Kryslin Enderchai
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
      Phil:

      There is no generic formula for the weight of a creature. I had one for a
      human of average height and weight, but that's it, and it was horribly

      Given that A) Said chocobob is a flightless bird, B) He's able to carry 2
      people easily at a good speed, and C) remembering Final Fantasy 7, they're
      also fairly heavily built. I'd say Woodstock probably tips the scales around
      300 kg/660 lbs, about the same as a durable pony type. His beak could
      probably inflict serious trauma (ie, bite someone's arm off), and his kicks
      would be worse than an Emu or an Ostrich's (capable of killing a man).

      He probably likes to eat vegetables and fruit, and wouldn't be adverse to
      adding a small lizard or 2 to his diet on occasion. It's a good thing
      Chocobobs, especially gold ones, tend to be fairly good tempered.

      Steve
    • N.McEvoy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
        CMOT Dibbler here, the CMOT stands for Cut me own throat cause that's what
        I'll do to give you a bargain. Purveyor of Sausage onna Bun, that fine
        culinary treat. Could help but notice your inquiry about Chocoba birds
        squire and if you allow me, since I do have expertise in the matter to make
        a few measurments I can accurately tell you to the once, just how much your
        bird wieghs. Just drop her off at the shop for a couple of days and i'll
        have it for you directly. By the way, is your bird free range or battery
        raised?

        CMOT Dibbler
        Sausage onna Bun, by appointment.
      • Phil
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
          > There is no generic formula for the weight of a creature. I had one for a
          > human of average height and weight, but that's it, and it was horribly
          >
          > Given that A) Said chocobob is a flightless bird, B) He's able to carry 2
          > people easily at a good speed, and C) remembering Final Fantasy 7, they're
          > also fairly heavily built. I'd say Woodstock probably tips the scales
          around
          > 300 kg/660 lbs, about the same as a durable pony type. His beak could
          > probably inflict serious trauma (ie, bite someone's arm off), and his
          kicks
          > would be worse than an Emu or an Ostrich's (capable of killing a man).
          >
          > He probably likes to eat vegetables and fruit, and wouldn't be adverse to
          > adding a small lizard or 2 to his diet on occasion. It's a good thing
          > Chocobobs, especially gold ones, tend to be fairly good tempered.
          >
          > Steve

          Thanks Steve, you broke that down pretty well. Guess I shoulda popped in
          and done a breakdown of Choco-biology myself.

          For those who haven't seen them, here are a couple of typical Chocobo
          references.

          *Wark!* ---PHIL
        • Phil
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
            > CMOT Dibbler here, the CMOT stands for Cut me own throat cause that's what
            > I'll do to give you a bargain. Purveyor of Sausage onna Bun, that fine
            > culinary treat. Could help but notice your inquiry about Chocoba birds
            > squire and if you allow me, since I do have expertise in the matter to
            make
            > a few measurments I can accurately tell you to the once, just how much
            your
            > bird wieghs. Just drop her off at the shop for a couple of days and i'll
            > have it for you directly. By the way, is your bird free range or battery
            > raised?
            >
            > CMOT Dibbler
            > Sausage onna Bun, by appointment.

            Well the girls aren't laughing, but I sure am! Thanks Norm.

            ---PHIL
          • hsm@inetnow.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
              > Thanks Steve, you broke that down pretty well. Guess I shoulda popped in
              > and done a breakdown of Choco-biology myself.
              >
              > For those who haven't seen them, here are a couple of typical Chocobo
              > references.
              >

              > *Wark!* ---PHIL

              Took a look at them. Are they edible? WHAT a drumstick! Looks chocolate
              flavored too... (g)

              Wonder what they would taste like over a slow mesquite flavoured fire....
              (vbg)

              Badger, ever the omnivore
            • N.McEvoy
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 10, 2000
                Actually, it looks like those Chocobas are based on prehistoric flightless
                birds that were the terrors of their day.
                Diatryma gigantea and Phorusrhacus infatus are two I've found examples of.
                Members of the order Gruiformes for instance, and example today would be the
                Bustard. They were huge birds, some species growing to ten feet and active
                carnivores, hunting anything that moved they could nail with their clawed
                feet, sort of like a feathery T Rex. There's also Moa's which were hunted to
                extinction, but Moa's didn't have the big crushing beaks.

                With it's size and speed, a Chocoba is probably safe from most predators it
                would run into on Saraswati, heck it would make a meal out of a dingo and
                give the panthers on the Sayan plains something to think about. The Dragons
                are another story, but with Hotaru and Andie along, they would leave the
                bird alone being very polite and civilized creatures.

                If your looking for a way to figure wieght, do what paleantoligist do, pick
                creature that most resembles it that's living today and work on it from
                there, in the this case Ostriches.

                Norm