Four footed, one eared felines

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      Just a bit of sad news (for me, anyway) about Ryoko...

      She's got a mass on her right shoulder, just appeared out of nowhere.

      It's just a little smaller than my Nomad.

      She's going into the vet tomorrow, and may not come back out. Even so,
      she may not live out the winter. :(

      I'm gonna just sit in the corner and cry for a bit. :(

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
        Thank you one and all for your condolences.

        Ryoko was put to sleep this morning, at 9 am.

        The tumor had taken over her entire upper right foreleg.

        The prognosis, even after amputating was not good; since it
        had spread to another part of her body, it had probably
        spread to her heart, spleen, liver and lungs as well.

        This was the right thing to do, since her quality of life, minus
        a leg, would have been poor; The greyhound and my Mom's
        cat would have made her life miserable.

        But if it was the right thing to do, why does it hurt so much?

        Steve
      • mcevoy@mountaincable.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
          > Thank you one and all for your condolences.
          >
          > Ryoko was put to sleep this morning, at 9 am.
          >
          > The tumor had taken over her entire upper right foreleg.
          >
          > The prognosis, even after amputating was not good; since it
          > had spread to another part of her body, it had probably
          > spread to her heart, spleen, liver and lungs as well.
          >
          > This was the right thing to do, since her quality of life, minus
          > a leg, would have been poor; The greyhound and my Mom's
          > cat would have made her life miserable.
          >
          > But if it was the right thing to do, why does it hurt so much?
          >
          > Steve

          I was going to write something in condolence, but Brian said everything I
          could think of. It will be sad seeing you and not Ryoko when we come
          visit, but she could not have had a happier time that with you and you
          should remember that.

          Eileen
        • Eric Bitton
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
            Steve Pettit wrote:

            > But if it was the right thing to do, why does it hurt so much?

            You hurt yourself so your friend will not hurt anymore.

            Oh crap, now I'm thinking about Elvis.
            I think I need to go cry in a corner somewhere too...

            Zrath
          • Phil Bolton
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
              Oh man, seems like you can just never get a break. Reminds me of
              losing Yuri a couple months ago, as well as about six months back when
              I had to have one of my rats put to sleep who was also cancer ridden.
              It's never an easy thing to loose a longtime friend like that. Hang in
              there man, and try to remember all the good times. You gave her a
              good, long life, which is more than a lot of our feline friends have
              had. Remember her fondly. And remember that you have all of our
              sympathies.

              ---PHIL

              --
              Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry.
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2005
                But hey, think of all the fun you'll have meeting...

                Sally, the 40mph, 78 lbs, lapdog (a greyhound)!
                Buster, the beagle/collie puppy who doesn't know when to stop...
                Ginger, a 4 month old shorthair female kitty!
                William, a 4 month old orange longhair kitty!

                (You knew it wouldn't be long before there were new kitties about...)

                Steve

                mcevoy@... wrote:

                >>Thank you one and all for your condolences.
                >>
                >>Ryoko was put to sleep this morning, at 9 am.
                >>
                >>The tumor had taken over her entire upper right foreleg.
                >>
                >>The prognosis, even after amputating was not good; since it
                >>had spread to another part of her body, it had probably
                >>spread to her heart, spleen, liver and lungs as well.
                >>
                >>This was the right thing to do, since her quality of life, minus
                >>a leg, would have been poor; The greyhound and my Mom's
                >>cat would have made her life miserable.
                >>
                >>But if it was the right thing to do, why does it hurt so much?
                >>
                >>Steve
                >>

                >I was going to write something in condolence, but Brian said everything I
                >could think of. It will be sad seeing you and not Ryoko when we come
                >visit, but she could not have had a happier time that with you and you
                >should remember that.
                >
                >Eileen

                >While you're at it, read the stories in:
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • McEvoy
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 10, 2005
                  Steve Pettit wrote:
                  > But hey, think of all the fun you'll have meeting...
                  >
                  > Sally, the 40mph, 78 lbs, lapdog (a greyhound)!
                  > Buster, the beagle/collie puppy who doesn't know when to stop...
                  > Ginger, a 4 month old shorthair female kitty!
                  > William, a 4 month old orange longhair kitty!
                  >
                  > (You knew it wouldn't be long before there were new kitties about...)
                  >
                  > Steve

                  Kitties!!!!!!!! Norm won't let me get any more kitties, he's got this
                  strange idea that we already have enough :(

                  Littermates are fun, when Kero and Lilo were tiny, I used to pick them
                  both up together and walk around with them in one arm. They still sleep
                  wrapped up together and when seperated, one wanders around the house
                  howling sadly until the other hears and comes to comfort their poor
                  lonely sibling lol.

                  We got home for a couple days yesterday, took me a couple hours and half
                  a package of kitty treats to get the cats to talk to me again after a
                  week away. We head back out Wed morning for two weeks including visits
                  to Steve and Brian, I'll probably have to bribe them with several
                  packages of tuna after that lol.

                  Including a striking image I managed to get at Arlington Cemetery, Tomb
                  of the Unknown (you don't want to know how many tries it took me to get
                  the honor guard in just the right spot)

                  Eileen