movies

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Minna san,

      WOW!!! 0-0;;

      Okay, when I fall off the wagon, I _really_ fall off the wagon..........

      I saw KILL BILL today, Quentin Tarantino's (sp?) 4th movie, and it floored
      me. Absolutely. No question about it. I was in a daze when I wandered out
      of the theatre.

      Tarantino has jammed all the Clint Eastwood "loner" movies, all the Hong
      Kong action flicks, Japanese B-movie Yakuza flicks, plus
      revenge/revenge/revenge he-done-her-wrong stories of all time together, and
      just for fun, threw in Charlie's DARK SIDE Angels, and last but not least, a
      homage to Frank Miller's ELEKTRA back in the (I guess) middle or early 80s.

      Did I enjoy this? You'd better believe it! Was it gory, stomach-churning,
      dizzy-making, but still full of black comedy, what I call "Tarantino
      moments"? Uh-huh!

      To get a bunch more information on it, go to www.kill-bill.com . The
      opening page will show you thumbnail reviews by serious movie reviewers, and
      while I didn't check the whole site, the little I did loaded very quickly.

      I was fascinated by Chiaki Kuriyama, the character Go-Go Yubari in the
      movie, for the short time she was on the screen (maybe 20 minutes in the
      middle of the movie).

      I have always wanted to see BATTLE ROYAL, and it turns out she was one of
      the characters in that one and has since been elevated to idoru status in
      Japan.

      Jud? You know anything about this?

      BATTLE ROYAL has never hit the rental stores that I know of, but I might
      start checking more closely. I got a kick out of Sonny Chiba as Hattori
      Hanzo in KILL BILL and this is the 1st time I've ever seen him on screen.
      Tarantino used really great Japanese actors/actresses in KILL BILL, even if
      they are not of the 1st rank of "serious" actors, as I understand the term.
      (not everyone can be a Mifune, after all...)

      So, how have I fallen off the wagon? I've seen 4 theatrical releases this
      year (maybe a record for me since 1970, and since I got my TV/VCR/DVD combo
      back up and working again, I've seen 3 movies in less than a week.

      Next up on my list is MATRIX: RELOADED on DVD, because MATRIX: THE
      REVOLUTION is out in 2 days and I don't want to see #3 without seeing #2
      first. I have passes...(vbg) Heck, I had a pass for KILL BILL, too! (it's
      nice to know people of similiar interests that have promotional passes
      gathering dust in their desk drawers <g>)

      After that, it will be MILLENIUM ACTRESS (anime), on DVD. It was showing
      around town recently and I read glowing reviews. After AWA 9, I found out
      we actually showed it (with permission of course), then the other night my
      room mate (and business partner in Japan Depot) was watching it. He told me
      where to rent it, and I'm going to as soon as I work my way through both
      MATRIXes.

      Ahem. Volume 2 of KILL BILL? I can't wait for it to come out!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Scary thought: I haven't seen _any_ of the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy yet,
      just previews, but sooner or later I'm going to have to get around to that
      one....after all it was a formative influence in my life back in the early
      60s.........

      See KILL BILL....and between wanting to throw up, you'll be laughing your
      tails off...Tarantino is THAT good!!!!!!!

      Badger, delighted ^-^
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        A word of caution about KILL BILL...

        Badger forgot to mention that the level of blood and body parts flying
        around in this movie rivals FIST OF THE NORTH STAR at times. It's not
        for everyone, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable. I found the level of
        gore and violence taken to such extremes that it moved into the realm of
        absurdity, and was actually laughing at most of it...

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
            Hugh Miller wrote:
            Of course, you have to have a strong stomach to get past about the first 20 minutes before the underlying joke begins to reveal itself.  (wicked grin)

            And for the rest of the film too.
            I really enjoyed it.
            I was alternately laughing my head off and horrified!
            It's not a movie I could watch often.
            Maybe once a year.
            But it's definitely worth seeing.

            Insane.

            This movie is completely insane.

            Zrath-Smiley

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
              Ha ha ha ha!  =)

              Zrath, you are perfectly correct.

              I spent the entire movie tensed up so bodily tight that I was like stone.  Whenever I noticed it, I tried to relax, but I immediately tensed back up again.  I was physically worn out when I exited the theatre.

              Like you, I was alternately horrified and laughing.  I prefer to remember the laughing.  ^-^

              Yup.  Insane.  The movie that is.

              Like you, I recommend the movie for others at the same time, but not for frequent viewing.  :) :) :)

              Badgeur