Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [5united] Re: heat in garage

Expand Messages
  • horacepro@aol.com
    Sorry if this annoys anybody, but I feel duty-bound to make a safety statement on this subject, just on the outside chance there is someone on the list who
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      Sorry if this annoys anybody, but I feel duty-bound to make a safety
      statement on this subject, just on the outside chance there is someone on the
      list who isn't aware of the dangers of space heating with unvented burners.

      Two big problems with burning stuff in an unvented space:
      1) Carbon Monoxide gas
      2) Fire (not covered here)

      Carbon monoxide is produced whenever you burn stuff. Some burners are more
      efficient than others, and good, efficient burners don't produce a lot of
      carbon monoxide -- but they all produce some.

      Carbon monoxide can kill. But you can't see it or smell it. There is no way
      to determine if you are being exposed to a dangerous level of carbon monoxide
      unless you have a carbon monoxide detector. (A good one that works!)

      Most people know this, but there are still lots of folks who get carbon
      monoxide poisoning. Some don't even know that they did.

      Carbon monoxide poisoning can give you a headache, and make you dopey.
      Eventually it puts you to sleep. Permanently.

      See, carbon monoxide that you breathe latches onto the hemoglobin in your
      blood. (That's the stuff that carries oxygen to your body.) Trouble is that
      it doesn't let go. Once all of your hemoglobin is neatly packed in carbon
      monoxide, you don't get any more oxygen. Game over.

      The way to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning is to make sure any burner you use
      for space heating is properly vented to the outside, and that you also have a
      supply of fresh air to the burner, so it can develop a decent draft.

      And yes, that means you have cold air coming in from outside to feed the
      fire. You're going to have to deal with that.

      Heating electrically eliminates problems with carbon monoxide, venting and
      drafts, but it does cost more. The best way to fix that problem is to
      insulate. Insulation is a one-time cost that saves money for as long as the
      building stands.

      My advice to homeowners who have been hot to go to alternative heating has
      always been "Don't put a nickel into alternative heating until you are
      insulated to the max."

      That's a good place to start with garages too.

      Best,
      Ed Bianchi
      '71 R60/5 "Homer" and his heated garage
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.