Re: [5united] Re: Oil transfer from driveshaft to transmission, our experience

  • William Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2012
      These /5's drive trains will last a long time with regular oil changes and proper usage. My /2 conversion has a 71 R75/5 motor & trans with 179k that came from a friend's bike which was a rat daily rider. The trans was opened twice to replace the kicker spring (89k) then to fix the kicker's idler shaft (129k) Since it operated better with age he just replaced the rear gasket each time and didn't mess with the shims. At some point after that it began burning oil so he honed the cylinders and installed first oversized rings after filing down the gaps to meet the specs. By 179k the cylinders were shot so he bored them out to accept R80 pistons. He pulled the crank & cam for inspection and found those still well within specs. It still was using the original clutch plate which wasn't even half way worn away so that was reused, too. His hobby was racing vintage bikes so knew how to shift properly to reduce wear and tear on all the components.
      The heads held up well too, thanks to frequent oil changes. He took those off at 70k to decarbonize the combustion chambers & piston heads, lap the valves plus to rotate the rocker shafts 180 degrees and install new rocker bushings. When he redid the rings he decarbonized, installed new shafts & bearings plus relapped the valves again. At 179k he just cleaned the crud off and relapped along with installing new valve springs since they were now below specs. I rode the beast around some while breaking in the new cylinders and it ran great. This was back in 1986 and he parked it on TDC a few years later to sit while he took care of other matters. It stayed put until 2010 when I swapped him a 71 Triumph 500 for it. The engine turns freely plus takes some effort to kick with the plugs in so figure all's OK inside. Thought about getting a plumber buddy over that has a camera made to send down drains for inspections to see if it'll fit thru the plug
      holes/intake & exhaust ports so I can check out the innards for rust without pulling the heads.

      Bill