Re: [5feet] Stalingrad (Volgograd) transporter bridge

  • Patrick Bonacker
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2006
      Hi,

      Ian Button wrote:
      > Not strictly a railway question, but has anybody out there got any detailed information on, or photos of, this bridge. Google finds information about its length (847m - the longest ever) & dates of construction (1955 - remarkably late) & demolition (1964), but that's about all.
      > What did it cross? What was it made of? Why was it built & demolished so soon?

      A german website on transporter bridges (www.schwebefaehre.org) claims
      that it was not a transporter bridge but just a freight gondola lift or
      so. Now I searched the russian web and I found a text from a 1955
      tourist book: it was really not a bridge but a lift for building the
      Stalingrad dam and hyro-electric power station, see
      http://tourism.vistcom.ru/index.php/content/view/171/78/

      Patrick