Golden Hawk 'S' Exhaust Extension - Part, No. 1539404A Update

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
      A quick update from me regarding the above remanufacturing project...

      I am pleased to write that today, I received the engineering drawing from the Studebaker Museum for our exhaust extension.

      I am planning to package the drawing and NOS unit that I have and send it off to Peter, the pattern maker, this weekend. I will ask Pete to give me a forecast of when he hopes / expects to have his part of the project completed... and inform everyone of progress.

      I would like to publicly thank all those who have kindly made their payment in to my PayPal account or who have sent me a check - it has been very much appreciated.

      To the couple of straggles that still need to make their respective payment, I would be very grateful if you would please confirm your order by making the necessary payment.

      I should add that I do not intend over-ordering. In simple terms, unless you make confirmation (payment), you will not be able to come back to me at a later date indicating a desire to order the part... I won't have any to sell.

      I think that's about it for now... and I look forward to updating the Forum later when I have the next piece of news.

      Richard
    • redavanti@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
        I think the Speedster and other 55s used it also. You may want to make a post on the forum

      • richardnatkinson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
          Hi, I had the notion that this part was unique to the 56J as it was the
          only model fitted with the Packard 352" engine... and hence this part being so
          hard to obtain.

          Richard Atkinson

          Top Floor Flat
          26 All Saints Road
          Clifton
          Bristol
          BS8 2JJ

          T: 0117-923-8825
          M: 07786-258425

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
            No. One car. One year. One model
            I drove out to Cantor moters thinking h
            I could buy a manifold and one would be on it

            No way. Engines for Packards did not have that piece
            They crack / break because of the weight they subject to

            BG

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Oct 5, 2011, at 6:53 PM, redavanti@... wrote:

            > I think the Speedster and other 55s used it also. You may want to make a post on the forum

          • Gilbert Zimmerman
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
              Bill's right, as usual. It's a 56J only component.

              Gil

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Oct 5, 2011, at 5:36 PM, Me <bondobill1@...> wrote:

              > No. One car. One year. One model
              > I drove out to Cantor moters thinking h
              > I could buy a manifold and one would be on it
              >
              > No way. Engines for Packards did not have that piece
              > They crack / break because of the weight they subject to
              >
              > BG
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Oct 5, 2011, at 6:53 PM, redavanti@... wrote:
              >
              > > I think the Speedster and other 55s used it also. You may want to make a post on the forum

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 25, 2011
                Time for a further update... and I hope this will work... save starting a new topic / thread.

                I spoke with Mike at Bristol Foundry on Christmas Eve, who confirmed that he'd received the new pattern, blue-print drawings and my NOS exhaust extension piece.

                In the UK, most businesses shut down on 24th December and will re-open for business on 3rd January, which is the case for Mike.

                I had a good chat with Mike, who said that the part was larger than he envisaged, so we'll see where that comment may take us, but hopeful not.

                I have agreed to contact Mike in the first week of January when he is back at work. Mike has agreed to caste one piece for inspection, which will allow me to take some photos and post them on the forum... but, for now just a quick update for everyone!

                Happy holidays as is the preferred saying in the States... over in the UK, its Happy Christmas... for the benefit of the European friends.

                Hope everyone has a great holiday... and very Happy New Year in 2012.
                Richard

                --- In 56Jonlygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <richardnatkinson@...> wrote:

                > A quick update from me regarding the above remanufacturing project...
                >
                > I am pleased to write that today, I received the engineering drawing from the Studebaker Museum for our exhaust extension.
                >
                > I am planning to package the drawing and NOS unit that I have and send it off to Peter, the pattern maker, this weekend. I will ask Pete to give me a forecast of when he hopes / expects to have his part of the project completed... and inform everyone of progress.
                >
                > I would like to publicly thank all those who have kindly made their payment in to my PayPal account or who have sent me a check - it has been very much appreciated.
                >
                > To the couple of straggles that still need to make their respective payment, I would be very grateful if you would please confirm your order by making the necessary payment.
                >
                > I should add that I do not intend over-ordering. In simple terms, unless you make confirmation (payment), you will not be able to come back to me at a later date indicating a desire to order the part... I won't have any to sell.
                >
                > I think that's about it for now... and I look forward to updating the Forum later when I have the next piece of news.
                >
                > Richard

              • Richard
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 22, 2012
                  Progress and photos...

                  I'm not totally convinced that we have full progress; let me explain.

                  Yesterday, I met with Mike at the foundry works to view a dummy sample of the exhaust extension. I took my camera along as planned so that I could upload the photos you see here.

                  I am not an engineer by trade, practice or profession, so there is a 'learning curve' for me to go thru.

                  After close examination, discussion and measurement, it was deduced that the pattern was the correct size; at one point I was convinced that it was too long, and that the diameter of the piece, shape, etc., was correct.

                  If you view photo #1, you will notice that the holes are blank - they need to be drilled out.... this is the inexperienced part of my learning curve coming to the fore... you might also note that the right-hand mating plate in the same photo looks thicker than the NOS piece I have in this folder.

                  In fact, if you look at photo #2, you will see that there isn't a recess drilled down in to the extension piece.

                  So, that is the progress so far.

                  What next..?

                  On monday, Mike will be meeting with a guy called, Neville, who I had chat with on the telephone yesterday.

                  Neville runs his own small milling shop in Bristol. Neville will look at the dummy extension, my NOS part and also the drawings.

                  I will speak with Neville next week and he will be able to advise me on how much work will be required to mill the part to the correct tolerances, drill the required number of holes, etc. He will also be able to tell me how long each unit might take to complete as well as the cost per unit.

                  At present, Mike has only pulled one unit, the one that you see on this website.

                  Once I have spoken with Neville, I will post another note on here as well as write to all those that have paid monies to me for their part.

                  There will I am sure be decisions that will need to be made by each. At present, I am advising of progress as the project evolves... and I hope to update everyone very soon regarding the next step.

                  For my part, I had anticipated that the pattern would include holes and recesses, but after speaking with the 'man' that does this every day for a living, I soon learnt (quickly!) that there are several processes in the manufacturing cycle, so pre-cast holes would not be part of the pattern making process... and this makes logical sense when thinking about the pouring of the hot metal in to the mould.

                  By the way, Mike spotted how this one particular was made originally... as in held in place during the pouring of metal in to the mould... all very interesting. I will have Mike explain it to me again, so that I can write it down here correctly. I understand the principle of what he was explaining... I'm just not too sure I can write it down correctly now!

                  If there are any questions, please feel free to write me... though I'd suggest holding off until I have further details after speaking with Neville.

                  With very best wishes

                • PackardV8@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 22, 2012
                    Hi, Richard,

                    Thanks for all your efforts.  If the part were easy and profitable to make, some vendor would have long since done it.

                    jack vines

                  • bondobill1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 22, 2012
                      Weren't these made using the lost
                      sand/wax method.?

                      Nobody is ever going to see one installed,
                      Therefore can they make something that ties
                      the two pieces together but with less twists
                      and turns ????

                      Also look into the possibility of changing the
                      Rube Goldberg gaskets

                      It is so easy to second guess other
                      people's work

                      BG