Re: [4x6bandsaw] Unknown Bandsaw and Goof of the Week

  • Allen Sparks
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
      I would use 140W or STP

      Sparky

      --- Fred Lusen <fl.lusen@...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > Recently found this group and need some help. I
      > bought a saw some
      > years ago at a local J&L Industrial store. There
      > was no
      > manufacturers identification on the saw or the
      > manual, such as it
      > was. The store people did not know who made it
      > either. It is
      > obviously chinese or Tiwanese judging by the
      > documentation
      > translation. What is unique about this saw that I
      > have never seen in
      > other small ones is that the whole saw rotates for
      > cuts up to 45
      > degrees and the vise is fixed. I have created a
      > folder in the photos
      > section labeled Fred's Stuff. I am hoping that
      > someone can identify
      > the manufacturer.
      >
      > Now for the goof. There is absolutely nothing in
      > the documentation
      > about lubrication in the transfer gear case. So
      > thinking I would
      > check the gears for wear I opened the cover and
      > guess where the oil
      > went. It turned out to be very fluid, about like 30
      > weight oil. I
      > have gone through the archives and see mention of
      > everything from
      > regularly specified gear oil to STP, to 80-90 and
      > 90-140 weight gear
      > oil. What would the learned body recommend.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for all the replies and help.
      >
      > Fred Lusen

    • Cletus L. Berkeley, MIEEE
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004

        I too, been using SAE 140 in mine since I bought it a year ago and no problems at all.

        Cheers, Cletus

        Allen Sparks <sparky4619@...> wrote:
        I would use 140W or STP

        Sparky

        --- Fred Lusen <fl.lusen@...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > Recently found this group and need some help.  I
        > bought a saw some
        > years ago at a local J&L Industrial store.  There
        > was no
        > manufacturers identification on the saw or the
        > manual, such as it
        > was.  The store people did not know who made it
        > either.  It is
        > obviously chinese or Tiwanese judging by the
        > documentation
        > translation.  What is unique about this saw that I
        > have never seen in
        > other small ones is that the whole saw rotates for
        > cuts up to 45
        > degrees and the vise is fixed.  I have created a
        > folder in the photos
        > section labeled Fred's Stuff.  I am hoping that
        > someone can identify
        > the manufacturer.
        >
        > Now for the goof.  There is absolutely nothing in
        > the documentation
        > about lubrication in the transfer gear case.  So
        > thinking I would
        > check the gears for wear I opened the cover and
        > guess where the oil
        > went.  It turned out to be very fluid, about like 30
        > weight oil.  I
        > have gone through the archives and see mention of
        > everything from
        > regularly specified gear oil to STP, to 80-90 and
        > 90-140 weight gear
        > oil.  What would the learned body recommend.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for all the replies and help.
        >
        > Fred Lusen

        From the desk of:
        Cletus L. Berkeley, MIEEE

        WARNING: This electronic document may contain privileged and/or proprietary information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and subsequently destroy the document/file. Unlawful copying and/or dissemination of the information/data contained herein may be treated as copyright infringement and prosecuted as such.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • fl.lusen
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
          Clint,

          The 85/140, is that regular gear oil, and where would one get it?

          Fred

          90 Wt is just fine, or if you prefer 85/140

          Clint

          > have gone through the archives and see mention of everything from
          > regularly specified gear oil to STP, to 80-90 and 90-140 weight gear
          > oil. What would the learned body recommend.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for all the replies and help.
          >
          > Fred Lusen
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Mike Kear
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
            Any auto parts or tractor shop should have it.
            Mike
            who runs 90 wt amsoil just because it was avail in the garage
            > The 85/140, is that regular gear oil, and where would one get it?
            >
            > Fred

          • Clint D
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
              Fred

              It is available at any parts store. that is what I run in my Earth Moving
              equipment in the final drives, etc.

              Actually thinner oils lubricate better but the reason for the heavier weight
              oils is to help absorb impact of gearing as in things such as third members,
              final drives etc.
              these bandsaws do not have the impact nature about them in the gearing
              even a 50 wt oil would be fine, better lubrication
              The thicker oils need more power

              Clint

              > The 85/140, is that regular gear oil, and where would one get it?
              >
              > Fred

            • Jerry Stephenson

                > The 85/140, is that regular gear oil, and where would one get it?
                >
                > Fred

              • fl.lusen
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Thanks Clint.

                  Fred

                  > The 85/140, is that regular gear oil, and where would one get it?
                  >
                  > Fred

                  Yahoo! Groups Links