HF red bandsaw

  • k
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 4, 2011
      I bought a new saw a couple of weeks ago to cut steel for 7 tables I
      built for a local pizza place. I was cutting steel with a plasma cutter
      and it took too long to slice it and grind it square.
      So I remembered HF had a couple of saws in stock and I went to look at
      them. I really liked the $999 one, but opted for to $270 unit to save
      myself a few bucks. It was on sale for $230 and I used a 20% coupon.

      I must say, it was pretty good out of the box, but I did have to tweak
      the alignment to keep bladed on it. I picked up a couple of the 10-14
      USA blades but haven't yet but it on.

      I made over 200 dry cuts in 3 days to build these steel tables in
      2 1/2" schedule 80 pipe, 4x4x3/16, 1/2x4, 1/4x4, and 1/4x8.
      the stock blade cut with little deflection and a 6 lb weight on the
      casting.
      The 8" I cut by leaning it back in the vise to clear the bearings and
      slowly opened the vice to lower the plate as it cleared the guard.
      the 4x4 took the longest to cut once the blade reached the bottom flat.

      I have read almost every topic posted to the board and found a great
      number of mods I would like to do to my saw. The first I did right
      after I finished the table job and that was to make a new stand out
      of the drops I had. I'll post a couple of pics later.

      Thanks for letting me contribute.
      Kenny
    • Tom Angell

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 4, 2011
          Pics are posted in Krosati HF bandsaw album.
          I'll add one of the table too.
        • Dallas Richardson
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 4, 2011
            K;
            I have to say that there IS some very quality work went into the those stands and I would also; say that who ever the welder was on the job, Damn sure knows what he/she is doing... That is some VERY nice work and the stand under that saw is of the same fine quality...

            Dallas/ Smithy IMAX 1340
            When I carry a gun,I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone..The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded..
            The greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.
            I also; think that drug tests are great.. Since I have to pass them to earn money to pay taxes.. Everyone on, or applying for welfare should have to pass them to get some of my money!!!
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 4, 2011
              Thanks for the kind words.
              I'm not trained or a seasoned pro, just a hobbiest trying to do it
              right. BTW, the two verticals under the saw are actually drops welded
              together and ground smooth to get the height I wanted.

              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Dallas Richardson <classicpoints@...> wrote:

              > K;
              > I have to say that there IS some very quality work went into the those stands and I would also; say that who ever the welder was on the job, Damn sure knows what he/she is doing... That is some VERY nice work and the stand under that saw is of the same fine quality...
              >
              > Dallas/ Smithy IMAX 1340
            • stantonleman
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 5, 2011
                In the spirit of anything worth doing is worth overdoing, that is an impressive stand! These 4x6 band saws are great! My only mods are putting a grease fitting to lube the shaft nearest the downfeed spring (it's an idea I copied from this group) and a removable drill press clamp for work holding. Enjoy your saw, I sure have enjoyed mine!

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "k" <krosati@...> wrote:

                > Pics are posted in Krosati HF bandsaw album.
                > I'll add one of the table too.

              • Ed
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 7, 2011
                  Welds are very pretty! Really nice beads... What process did you use? Love the clever bit of using the rear tube as a coolant tank. Just way cool! Can't wait to see it finished! Nice work!

                  Ed Hutton

                  --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "k" <krosati@...> wrote:

                  > Pics are posted in Krosati HF bandsaw album.
                  > I'll add one of the table too.

                • k
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 9, 2011
                    Thanks Ed.
                    I use a Millermatic 211 with 75/25 argon and .035 ER70S-6 solid wire.
                    The machine should take all the credit as I was lousy at welding with
                    my tractor supply welder. A 110v unit is nothing compared to the 220v
                    Miller.
                    I also make sure all edges are ground down to 45 degree chamfer so
                    the weld gets into the metal rather than just lay on top.
                    For the coolant tank, I plan to thread a drain bung near the base
                    and a fill bung near the top. The drain from the tray, will pass
                    through a spin on oil filter and return to the tank. To monitor
                    the level, I thought about a clear tube like the old tractors used to use.

                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <e.hutton@...> wrote:

                    > Welds are very pretty! Really nice beads... What process did you use? Love the clever bit of using the rear tube as a coolant tank. Just way cool! Can't wait to see it finished! Nice work!
                    >
                    > Ed Hutton
                    >
                    > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "k" <krosati@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Pics are posted in Krosati HF bandsaw album.
                    > > I'll add one of the table too.

                  • Ed
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 9, 2011
                      From the pictures I was thinking MIG but it looks like zero spatter. Very nice job. I have a Lincoln MIG that will put down a good bead, but to get something that clean I have to use a chemical product called spatter off. I use the same cover gas.

                      100% agree you get what you pay for, better to have too much heat and back off than not to have enough. I also have a Miller Synchrowave TIG unit. I am just hugely impressed with Miller equipment. It looks like if I ever think about replacing the Lincoln, Millermatic is going to get a good look. Not saying anything bad about old Red it has done some really good work for me too.

                      I also like the other ideas on the tank. I think I might go acylic on the gauge and use a few welding rods to make a cage for it. I'm really interested in seeing more pictures when you get there!

                      Ed
                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "k" <krosati@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Ed.
                      > I use a Millermatic 211 with 75/25 argon and .035 ER70S-6 solid wire.
                      > The machine should take all the credit as I was lousy at welding with
                      > my tractor supply welder. A 110v unit is nothing compared to the 220v
                      > Miller.
                      > I also make sure all edges are ground down to 45 degree chamfer so
                      > the weld gets into the metal rather than just lay on top.
                      > For the coolant tank, I plan to thread a drain bung near the base
                      > and a fill bung near the top. The drain from the tray, will pass
                      > through a spin on oil filter and return to the tank. To monitor
                      > the level, I thought about a clear tube like the old tractors used to use.
                      >
                      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <e.hutton@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Welds are very pretty! Really nice beads... What process did you use? Love the clever bit of using the rear tube as a coolant tank. Just way cool! Can't wait to see it finished! Nice work!
                      > >
                      > > Ed Hutton
                      > >
                      > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "k" <krosati@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Pics are posted in Krosati HF bandsaw album.
                      > > > I'll add one of the table too.

                    • Ron Thompson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 9, 2011
                        On 9/9/2011 10:28 AM, Ed wrote:

                        >From the pictures I was thinking MIG but it looks like zero spatter. Very nice job. I have a Lincoln MIG that will put down a good bead, but to get something that clean I have to use a chemical product called spatter off. I use the same cover gas.

                        100% agree you get what you pay for, better to have too much heat and back off than not to have enough. I also have a Miller Synchrowave TIG unit. I am just hugely impressed with Miller equipment. It looks like if I ever think about replacing the Lincoln, Millermatic is going to get a good look. Not saying anything bad about old Red it has done some really good work for me too.

                        I also like the other ideas on the tank. I think I might go acylic on the gauge and use a few welding rods to make a cage for it. I'm really interested in seeing more pictures when you get there!

                        Ed

                        A sight glass might be better in a shop environment.
                        --

                        Ron Thompson

                        There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
                        1. This is what I have done...
                        2. This is what I think...
                        Be aware of the difference!

                        http://www.ourcadguy.com/

                        Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

                      • k
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 10, 2011
                          Spatter is caused by many factors and require way too much time to
                          type in here. Basicly, you can reduce your spatter by dialing in
                          your voltage and wire speed. Make very small adjustments but keep
                          your gun speed and technique the same until you develop a consistent
                          style.
                          There are 3 types of weld transfer (4 if your welder is pulse capable):
                          short circuit - used for sheet and guaged metals and sounds like
                          bacon in a frying pan popping and spattering
                          globular - similar to above but drops molten balls of wire into the
                          puddle and still pops and spatters
                          spray transfer - uses higher volatge and actually sprays your wire
                          into the puddle and sounds like your bacon is sizzling, not popping.
                          You can also see a clean arc to the metal and will have very little spatter.

                          You also have to maintain a proper angle on the gun, use correct gas
                          flow (I use about 20 psi with the trigger pulled, clean the metal of
                          contaminates, clean the nozzle every couple of welds, and trim the
                          wire before each weld.

                          I've gathered most of my info from Millers website over the years and
                          ground out many a bad weld before getting welds like the ones in my
                          pics. I'm still learning.

                          Kenny
                        • Ed
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 13, 2011
                            Your practice and hard work really shows. Those welds are beautiful MIG welds! Those rival TIG work. Unless you are a stack of dimes guy. I mean they are just gorgeous. You should be justifiably proud of that work.

                            My MIG unit is very simple. A Lincoln Pro MIG 180 and I run it on 220V with appropriate cover gas. I can get it too very little spatter but not zero spatter. Even dialed in carefully, I'll get the stray spatter ball or three. Nothing butt ugly, but if I want a really clean job I use spatter off. Then the few spatters don't stick. When I have it dialed in right it sounds like frying bacon.

                            I've sectioned a few welds and hammered some in test. It makes good strong welds (within the limits of the machine), but you crossed over to beautiful welds. Really good looking stuff.

                            I chuckled about pulse capable. The TIG machine is of course, but my little low end Miller is only pulse capable if I can pull the torch trigger with a good beat :-). Weld one, two, three, Weld, one, two, three :-).

                            The TIG machine. Well different animal, full control of the process and the welds are beautiful, but much slower.

                            Ed

                            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "k" <krosati@...> wrote:

                            > Spatter is caused by many factors and require way too much time to
                            > type in here. Basicly, you can reduce your spatter by dialing in
                            > your voltage and wire speed. Make very small adjustments but keep
                            > your gun speed and technique the same until you develop a consistent
                            > style.
                            > There are 3 types of weld transfer (4 if your welder is pulse capable):
                            > short circuit - used for sheet and guaged metals and sounds like
                            > bacon in a frying pan popping and spattering
                            > globular - similar to above but drops molten balls of wire into the
                            > puddle and still pops and spatters
                            > spray transfer - uses higher volatge and actually sprays your wire
                            > into the puddle and sounds like your bacon is sizzling, not popping.
                            > You can also see a clean arc to the metal and will have very little spatter.
                            >
                            > You also have to maintain a proper angle on the gun, use correct gas
                            > flow (I use about 20 psi with the trigger pulled, clean the metal of
                            > contaminates, clean the nozzle every couple of welds, and trim the
                            > wire before each weld.
                            >
                            > I've gathered most of my info from Millers website over the years and
                            > ground out many a bad weld before getting welds like the ones in my
                            > pics. I'm still learning.
                            >
                            > Kenny

                          • Ron Thompson
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 13, 2011
                              On 9/13/2011 3:57 PM, Ed wrote:
                              > The TIG machine. Well different animal, full control of the process
                              > and the welds are beautiful, but much slower.
                              >
                              > Ed
                              That depends. There is a wire feed tig.
                              And a process where the work is "overformed." That is to say the
                              material to be joined has excess overhang, and that overhang becomes
                              filler. That can go pretty fast. We used to use that for robotic welds
                              where I used to work. (NOT me, another fellow who was a wizard that that
                              thing.)

                              --

                              Ron Thompson

                              There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
                              1. This is what I have done...
                              2. This is what I think...
                              Be aware of the difference!

                              http://www.ourcadguy.com/

                              Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                            • BillL
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011
                                Hi
                                I am new to the group and i have a portable band saw. I was wanting to make a stand for it and was wondering if anyone knew of a link to building a stand. Any help would be appreciated.

                                Bill In Cincy
                              • Snag
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011
                                  BillL wrote:
                                  > Hi
                                  > I am new to the group and i have a portable band saw. I was wanting
                                  > to make a stand for it and was wondering if anyone knew of a link to
                                  > building a stand. Any help would be appreciated.
                                  >
                                  > Bill In Cincy

                                  I did that with a Milwaukee Portaband . I can send photos if you'd like .
                                  Mine is set up as a vert saw with a small table , used more to cut stuff too
                                  small for the 4X6 than anything else .
                                  Snag
                                  Learning keeps
                                  you young !
                                • Walt - WB2VSJ
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011

                                    HI Bill,

                                    Check the files section of this group.  There are a few suggestions there.  Also if you look at the message archives, your find  lots of ideas.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 14, 2011
                                      Ron,

                                      That would be very cool. I've seen some pictures of a wire feed TIG.
                                      I've never seen one in person. I don't have any robotic welding
                                      experience, just manual. TIG for me is one foot and two hands, one
                                      dime at a time. :-).

                                      Ed

                                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <ron@...> wrote:

                                      > On 9/13/2011 3:57 PM, Ed wrote:
                                      > > The TIG machine. Well different animal, full control of the process
                                      > > and the welds are beautiful, but much slower.
                                      > >
                                      > > Ed
                                      > That depends. There is a wire feed tig.
                                      > And a process where the work is "overformed." That is to say the
                                      > material to be joined has excess overhang, and that overhang becomes
                                      > filler. That can go pretty fast. We used to use that for robotic welds
                                      > where I used to work. (NOT me, another fellow who was a wizard that that
                                      > thing.)
                                    • Ron Thompson
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                        On 9/15/2011 12:44 AM, Ed wrote:
                                        > Ron,
                                        >
                                        > That would be very cool. I've seen some pictures of a wire feed TIG.
                                        > I've never seen one in person. I don't have any robotic welding
                                        > experience, just manual. TIG for me is one foot and two hands, one
                                        > dime at a time. :-).
                                        >
                                        > Ed
                                        I hear you! I have a 300 amp TIG I bought when I needed to reline a
                                        semi-truck dump bed with aluminum. Everyone said I should learn to TIG
                                        on steel. I told them I don't have a steel job. It took me a week to re
                                        sheet the bed with used 1/8th inch aluminum sheet, but it lasted over
                                        two years until I got rid of the truck.
                                        You should have seen this old fat man on his knees, trying to squeeze
                                        the foot pedal between his knees! That's when I learned about triggers.
                                        I bought a micro switch from Radio Shack and taped it to the torch
                                        handle. I used a C clamp on the pedal for amp control when using the
                                        trigger.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                          Ron,

                                          I primarily use the TIG for aluminum. I'll have to remember that trick. Much less expensive than a torch with the thumb switch. I'm usually working on a table.

                                          I have a friend who need a steel part repaired and he really wanted an attractive weld. So I said sure I'll TIG the part for you. I had to use the Miller calculator to look up the parameters for steel, it had been that long for steel, but the funny part comes next.

                                          I'm used to being quick on the heat and watching the puddle like a hawk while working the height, angle, and dip rate like a musical instrument.

                                          I take his steel part and hit it with torch. I've got a little 1/16 tungsten in the collet. It starts to slowly change color. I mean slowly. I come off the heat and just start laughing. He says, "What's the matter?" I said this is too easy!

                                          He got a good weld and very attractive, but after so much AL on that machine (Miller Syncrowave) it sure was easy doing steel. I'm not sure going from steel to AL would help at all unless you had never welded anything.

                                          AL is a completely different experience as you well know if you did a whole truck bed. Nothing helps with AL but practice, practice, practice... It goes from perfect to ah **&^ that quick.

                                          Ed

                                          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <ron@...> wrote:
                                          > > Ed
                                          > I hear you! I have a 300 amp TIG I bought when I needed to reline a
                                          > semi-truck dump bed with aluminum. Everyone said I should learn to TIG
                                          > on steel. I told them I don't have a steel job. It took me a week to re
                                          > sheet the bed with used 1/8th inch aluminum sheet, but it lasted over
                                          > two years until I got rid of the truck.
                                          > You should have seen this old fat man on his knees, trying to squeeze
                                          > the foot pedal between his knees! That's when I learned about triggers.
                                          > I bought a micro switch from Radio Shack and taped it to the torch
                                          > handle. I used a C clamp on the pedal for amp control when using the
                                          > trigger.
                                        • Ron Thompson
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                            On 9/15/2011 11:54 AM, Ed wrote:

[...]

                                            I agree, after aluminum, steel is duck soup.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                              Hi Snag

                                              Thanks and yes please send me pictures or links or whatever.

                                              BLibecap at Gmail dot com

                                              Thanks
                                              Bill in Cincy

                                              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Snag" <snag_one@...> wrote:

                                              > BillL wrote:
                                              > > Hi
                                              > > I am new to the group and i have a portable band saw. I was wanting
                                              > > to make a stand for it and was wondering if anyone knew of a link to
                                              > > building a stand. Any help would be appreciated.
                                              > >
                                              > > Bill In Cincy
                                              > >

                                              > I did that with a Milwaukee Portaband . I can send photos if you'd like .
                                              > Mine is set up as a vert saw with a small table , used more to cut stuff too
                                              > small for the 4X6 than anything else .
                                              > Snag
                                              > Learning keeps
                                              > you young !

                                            • BillL
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                                Hey Walt and others
                                                I looked threw the files section before I posted and then just reviewed it again as well as the messages. I found plenty of stands for the 4x6 but really nothing for the portable band saw that a much smaller tool. It uses a 44" blade and has no stand as seen here: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/band-saws/portable-variable-speed-bandsaw-47840.html

                                                If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

                                                Again Thanks
                                                Bill in Cincy

                                                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Walt - WB2VSJ" <wb2vsj@...> wrote:

                                                > HI Bill,
                                                >

                                                > Check the files section of this group. There are a few suggestions there.
                                                > Also if you look at the message archives, your find lots of ideas.

                                              • Joe R
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                                  Bill.

                                                  The 4x6 as you've found is the stationary machine and in no way could be
                                                  considered portable :=)

                                                  I don't think you'll find what your looking for here.

                                                  Sorry
                                                  Joe

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                                    Check out www.swagoffroad.com for a stand for the Portable Band Saw.

                                                    I looked threw the files section before I posted and then just reviewed it again as well as the messages. I found plenty of stands for the 4x6 but really nothing for the portable band saw that a much smaller tool. It uses a 44" blade and has no stand as seen here: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/band-saws/portable-variable-speed-bandsaw-47840.html

                                                    If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

                                                    Again Thanks
                                                    Bill in Cincy

                                                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Walt - WB2VSJ" <wb2vsj@...> wrote:

                                                    > HI Bill,
                                                    >

                                                    > Check the files section of this group. There are a few suggestions there.
                                                    > Also if you look at the message archives, your find lots of ideas.

                                                  • Douglas Randall
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 15, 2011
                                                    Bill
                                                      All I did was weld 2 peices of angle to a plate and drilled some mounting holes into the saw case. for the table I drill and tapped 2 holes for 2 flat head cap screws. I need to take the table off to change the blade. I can take it off the base and use it as a hand held saw. The blades are much cheaper than the 4x6 blades. I can buy 3 blades for the price of one 4x6 blade. The light is a big help and it does not take alot of room on the work bench.
                                                                                    Doug
                                                    Thanks and yes please send me pictures or links or whatever.

                                                    BLibecap  at Gmail dot com

                                                    Thanks
                                                    Bill in Cincy

                                                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Snag" <snag_one@...> wrote:

                                                    > BillL wrote:
                                                    > > Hi
                                                    > > I am new to the group and i have a portable band saw. I was wanting
                                                    > > to make a stand for it and was wondering if anyone knew of a link to
                                                    > > building a stand. Any help would be appreciated.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Bill In Cincy
                                                    > >

                                                    >  I did that with a Milwaukee Portaband . I can send photos if you'd like .
                                                    > Mine is set up as a vert saw with a small table , used more to cut stuff too
                                                    > small for the 4X6 than anything else  .
                                                    > Snag
                                                    > Learning keeps
                                                    > you young !

                                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                                        4x6bandsaw-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                        4x6bandsaw-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                  • andyf1108
                                                    Message 26 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011
                                                      Hi Bill,

                                                      I have the same portable saw, sold under a different name here in the UK. I have more or less finished a stand to use it horizontally, though I have yet to devise something better than a woodworker's cramp to hold the stock down.

                                                      PM me if you would like pix - there may be a short delay because my camera eats batteries.

                                                      Andy

                                                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "BillL" <blibecap@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hey Walt and others
                                                      > I looked threw the files section before I posted and then just reviewed it again as well as the messages. I found plenty of stands for the 4x6 but really nothing for the portable band saw that a much smaller tool. It uses a 44" blade and has no stand as seen here: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/band-saws/portable-variable-speed-bandsaw-47840.html
                                                      >
                                                      > If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
                                                      >
                                                      > Again Thanks
                                                      > Bill in Cincy
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Walt - WB2VSJ" <wb2vsj@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > HI Bill,
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Check the files section of this group. There are a few suggestions there.
                                                      > > Also if you look at the message archives, your find lots of ideas.

                                                    • BillL
                                                      Message 27 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011
                                                        Thanks Doug and Steve for the information. from what I found on utube I now have a good idea as how to proceed.

                                                        Bill In Cincinnati