gearbox

  • eugeneeman
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 5, 2010
      Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it. Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines gears for this purpose
      regards eugene
    • November X-Ray
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2010
        Do you have the capability and the skill to build up the gears you have now with brass and an oxy-acetylene torch and then dress them with grinder and/or a file, or possibly find a local shop to do this?

        There are many gear manufactures here in the States that can provide one, but usually the cost of these are more than a new 4 x 6 saw from HF. Perhaps you can find a set from Grizzly and have them ship overeseas!

        Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it. Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines gears for this purpose
        regards eugene

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 5, 2010
          What saw is it?
          Take a look through this thread…
          http://www.machinistweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230
        • David
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
            If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help, yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

            David

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

            > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it. Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines gears for this purpose
            > regards eugene

          • Glenn N
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
              Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
              bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
              If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
              casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
              yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
              one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
              bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
              needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
              preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

              David

              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

              > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
              > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
              > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
              > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
              > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
              > gears for this purpose
              > regards eugene

            • Dave Tuhy
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
                I was using my saw Saturday when the blade stopped suddenly. I opened up the gearbox to find that it was completely dry and the teeth on the pinion worm gear had worn away the teeth on the other gear. I bought the saw from Northern Tools, but I'm pretty sure it is am Central Machine saw just like the one sold by Harbor Frieght. Any idea about where/how to get a new gear?

                To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                From: sleykin@...
                Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800
                Subject: Re: [4x6bandsaw] Re: gearbox

                Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
                If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
                casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
                yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
                one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
                bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
                needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
                preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

                David

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

                > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
                > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
                > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
                > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
                > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
                > gears for this purpose
                > regards eugene

              • Joe R
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
                  Dave.

                  Go to Harbor Freight's website, find the stock number fro their saw then print the instruction/parts manual  and print it. Then call their 800 parts number and order the part from them. I've ordered parts from them and found them reasonably priced. But they'll be on the next container from China so don't be in a hurry.

                  Joe R.

                  I was using my saw Saturday when the blade stopped suddenly. I opened up the gearbox to find that it was completely dry and the teeth on the pinion worm gear had worn away the teeth on the other gear. I bought the saw from Northern Tools, but I'm pretty sure it is am Central Machine saw just like the one sold by Harbor Frieght. Any idea about where/how to get a new gear?

                  =======
                  http://www.pctools.com
                  =======
                • Nelson T.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
                    The manual and parts list are here:

                    I am going to add a copy to my site to make it handy.

                    Best,

                    Nelson
                    Hobby-Machinist.Com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
                      I appreciate the help both of you gents have provided. The gear box/gears pictured on page 23 looks just like the gearbox on the saw I have except that mine didn't have any oil. The gear I need is held on to the keyed shaft with a snap ring just like the one on page 23 also. My saw is the same color as my Habor Freight mill that's made by Central Machinery so this matching picture I'm 99% sure the saw is Harbor Freight. Thanks again!

                      To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 7, 2010
                        find a gear place that is local to you, take both gears with you to them they can be matched.

                        Or try the warranty route with the outfit you bought the saw from.

                        Grizz might have gears that will match most of the cheap chinese saw's are all pretty much alike in design and parts.

                        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Dave Tuhy <sevent1c10@...> wrote:

                        > I was using my saw Saturday when the blade stopped suddenly. I opened up the gearbox to find that it was completely dry and the teeth on the pinion worm gear had worn away the teeth on the other gear. I bought the saw from Northern Tools, but I'm pretty sure it is am Central Machine saw just like the one sold by Harbor Frieght. Any idea about where/how to get a new gear?
                        >

                        > To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: sleykin@...
                        > Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800
                        > Subject: Re: [4x6bandsaw] Re: gearbox
                        >

                        > Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                        > bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..

                      • Carl Hollopeter
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 8, 2010
                          Well after this and other "horror" stories I decided I should change the oil in my gear box. I've had my saw since 2006 and never had a problem, of course I don't use it more than a few times a month. When I do use it though it runs most of a day or two while I precut a lot of parts. Anyway I opened it up and it looked relatively good (living right I guess) no noticeable junk or residue. However the oil was rather thick so I decided to change it. Word to the wise, if your shop is not well heated and the outside temperature is in the 30's the oil is more like grease. A strategically used heat gun and a turkey baster did the job, I rinsed it several times using WD40 and an acid brush and sucking it out with the turkey baster again. Refilled with 140 weight, hope it will be good for a while.

                          Carl H

                          To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                          From: sleykin@...
                          Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800

                          Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                          bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
                          If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
                          casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
                          yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
                          one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
                          bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
                          needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
                          preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

                          David

                          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

                          > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
                          > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
                          > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
                          > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
                          > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
                          > gears for this purpose
                          > regards eugene

                        • gerry waclawiak
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 9, 2010
                            In my opinion it is well worth anyone who has one of the hobby saws so open it up and have a good look and change to  a decent oil. My saw got intermitent light use over a couple of years ad then lost drive and when I opened it up the teeth on the brass gear had been worn to nothing and the contents of the box resembled gold paint.

                            Having done some research on the net the problem appears to be that the steel worm is not particularly well finished and the sharp edges wear away the far softer brass teeth on the drive gear. When I stripped mine sure enough the worm was like a razor.

                            I took off the sharp edges to the worm with a diamond stone fitted a new gear and re-filled with gear oil and it is now going strong again

                            Gerry
                            Leeds UK

                            To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                            From: chollo@...
                            Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:26:16 -0600

                            To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                            From: sleykin@...
                            Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800

                            Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                            bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
                            If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
                            casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
                            yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
                            one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
                            bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
                            needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
                            preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

                            David

                            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

                            > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
                            > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
                            > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
                            > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
                            > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
                            > gears for this purpose
                            > regards eugene

                          • Jim Holligan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 9, 2010
                              It is also very important that the teeth are properly meshed.  The design of the gears require that they be properly lubricated but even if the gears are cut correctly and have good lubrication they will still experience extreme wear if the tooth clearance is too far off.
                              Jim

                              From: chollo@...
                              Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:26:16 -0600

                              To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                              From: sleykin@...
                              Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800

                              Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                              bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
                              If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
                              casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
                              yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
                              one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
                              bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
                              needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
                              preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

                              David

                              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

                              > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
                              > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
                              > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
                              > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
                              > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
                              > gears for this purpose
                              > regards eugene

                            • Robert Taylor
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 9, 2010
                                Great info.  But, for us newbies what should the teeth look like and what is the "correct" clearance?  Should I take my new saw apart and file something, or smooth something so that it doesn't self destruct when I turn it on?
                                Thanks, Bob

                                From: chollo@...
                                Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:26:16 -0600

                                To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                                From: sleykin@...
                                Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800

                                Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                                bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
                                If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
                                casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
                                yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
                                one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
                                bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
                                needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
                                preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

                                David

                                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

                                > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
                                > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
                                > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
                                > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
                                > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
                                > gears for this purpose
                                > regards eugene

                              • Jim Holligan
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 9, 2010
                                  Clearance for the gears should be about 2% of the circular pitch.  Circular pitch equals the distance from a point on one tooth to a corresponding point on the next tooth measured on the pitch circle diameter.
                                  Jim

                                  From: chollo@...
                                  Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:26:16 -0600

                                  To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: sleykin@...
                                  Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800

                                  Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                                  bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
                                  If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
                                  casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
                                  yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
                                  one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
                                  bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
                                  needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
                                  preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

                                  David

                                  --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
                                  > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
                                  > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
                                  > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
                                  > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
                                  > gears for this purpose
                                  > regards eugene

                                • Robert Taylor
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 9, 2010
                                    Wow - great explanation.  I know that I will never be a machinest, but I would like to know what to look for.  Thank you very much.

                                    Where should I look for the sharp edges that pulverizes the soft brass gear?  Are they suggesting that there are sharp edges on the face of the gear that should be smoothed or is it on the side edge or the leading edge of the tooth as it meshes with the other gear?

                                    Thanks

                                    From: chollo@...
                                    Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:26:16 -0600

                                    To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: sleykin@...
                                    Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:17:44 -0800

                                    Also check to see if you have the box that is part of the casting or it is
                                    bolted on. The bolted on gearboxes are easier to work on ..
                                    If you aquired the saw new and it was manufactured in China it probably had
                                    casting crud in the gear box. Posting some pictures of your saw will help,
                                    yes you can change the gears if you can find replacements one or two teeth
                                    one way or the other will not make that much differance in the speed. The
                                    bearings can be replaced with a Bushing if it comes right down to it or
                                    needle bearings and a seal. If you don't have the machines or skills to
                                    preform the work you will have to find someone to do it for you.

                                    David

                                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "eugeneeman" <eugeneeman@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi I am from s africa and my bandsaw worm and wheel have worn out.I am
                                    > suprized at how easy it happened as this machine has not workeds hard. I
                                    > notice the bearings also packed up and this may have contributed to it.
                                    > Getting spares is unlikely. Is it possible to make gears like this? I am
                                    > pretty new to machining . Is it possible to substitute some other machines
                                    > gears for this purpose
                                    > regards eugene

                                  • Dallas Richardson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 9, 2010
                                      Robert;
                                       I JUST KNOW that was a great explanation about the gear teeth Ha HA.. I will NEVER be a machinist either..

                                      Dallas

                                      --- On Thu, 12/9/10, Robert Taylor <bob@...> wrote:

                                      Wow - great explanation.  I know that I will never be a machinest, but I would like to know what to look for.  Thank you very much.

                                      Clearance for the gears should be about 2% of the circular pitch.  Circular pitch equals the distance from a point on one tooth to a corresponding point on the next tooth measured on the pitch circle diameter.
                                      Jim

                                      ---