Glad to be here

  • tomin130
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2002
      I'm glad I found this board and hope to learn a lot here.

      I just bought my 4 x 6 saw and have yet to even make a cut with it.
      I like to poke around a little and get familiar with how things are
      put together first before I put it to use. Anyway, a visit to my
      sister and her family made an excellent excuse for me to get close to
      Grizzly in Williamsport, PA. It is hard to describe the Grizzly
      showroom other than it is absolutely spectacular. Gleaming, new,
      awesome. This was what I would expect the Rolls-Royce dealership in
      Beverly Hills to look like, not the Yugo tool store. All of their
      equipment is on display for touch and feel. Fantastic. Plus, if
      you're into the outdoors, there's a brand new Gander Mountain store
      next door.

      I got the saw home and the first thing I did was to find the manual.
      There are good ones and there are bad ones. This one is so bad that
      it becomes funny. Quote: "Turn on the switch, and change the blade
      speed..." With the V-belt pulleys? Not!!! Or this wonderful
      direction that "#53 Hexagon Head Screw should be adjusted in accurate
      height when machine in cutting after finished off cutting then
      magnetic Switch can be lost." The topper though is this one in the
      section on guide bearing adjustment. "Loosen the nut while holding
      the bolt with an alien wrench." That's the same wrench that fits the
      alien holes which were obviously lost along with with the magnetic
      switch. The Grizzly manual has no section whatsoever on assembly so
      you're on your own there.

      So far, I'm fairly impressed with the quality of the machine itself,
      considering the price and think it will do very well for my
      applications. The first "modification" I am making is to replace all
      of the "metrinch" fasteners. SAE threads with metric heads. It's
      just a lot easier to find inch tools than metric. There are some
      other things I can see to be improved and I'll post them as I go
      along.

      I have one question at this point. When the moving jaw of the vise
      is clamped, it still can rock a bit. It clamps to the nut which
      sticks up just a bit from the vise base. I would think that the jaw
      should clamp down to the base. Is this the way it should be? Should
      I grind down the top of the nut or was this the way it is designed?
      Am I missing something obvious here?

      I hope we can liven up this board and look forward to all the helpful
      things I'll learn here.

      Tom
    • sned1
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 5:16 PM
        Thanks for the post. I'm not sure about the vise, I'll have to look
        at mine when I get home.

        As for the assembly steps, i posted my assembly (check the links
        section at the 4x6 home page or go to
        http://www.acmearms.com/bandsaw.php to see). I bet yours is now done
        but just for future refence of anyone who needs a hand.
        The Enco manual is also online at http://www.use-enco.com/Manuals/137-
        3150.pdf that may have some assembly instructions, not sure.

        I hope it livens up a bit too. Share the site with anyone you can
        hopefully we'll get some more gurus out here to join us.