Re: Poor man's solution to stiff belt in winter

  • oldsagebrush
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      William,
      I think you are absolutely right but until they let me out of the poor house I'll have to stick with what I've got.
      Harold

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, William Lunbom <lunbom@...> wrote:

      > Random thoughts and Brilliant Observations
      >

      > This is the solution. You make up the length you need.

      > To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
      > From: im_all_thumbz@...
      > Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:54:00 -0800
      > Subject: Re: [4x6bandsaw] Poor man's solution to stiff belt in winter
      >

      > Use a hair dryer on it until it warms.
      >

      > Nelson T., Owner
      > South Bend Heavy 10 (10L) Lathe Users Group

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010
        Ya might want to look at the start capacitor and see if it is in spec. An old or out of spec starter will cause the same symptom you are describing and use up a lot of life on the motor. I think if you can go to the local appliance shop a 100 MFD capacitor is only a couple of bucks and well worth the investment to change out before doing damage to the motor. The motor only has so much "smoke" available, so try not to use it up too fast if you can avoid it (tounge in cheek reference to Franks fire thread} Just a thought.
        Bob

        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "oldsagebrush" <oldsagebrush@...> wrote:

        > My saw was having trouble starting at the highest speed so until it warms up I've slowed it down to the middle speed. It starts ok now. The pity is that now I have to find something to occupy me while it's sawing.
        > Harold

      • oldsagebrush
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010
          Robert,
          Thanks and you're right. My old capacitor quit last summer and when I got a new one it started much better but with cold weather and a stiff belt it's slow to start again at the fastest speed. Intermediate speed is no problem.
          Harold