roller guides

  • meco3hp
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hello,
      I've been lurking here fr a while. I've got a Dayton 3Z093A from 1965 and I'm having problems finding new roller guides for it. The ones for the spine of the blade where easy as they are just plain bearings. The 2 roller guides for the sides of the blade are different as they are bearings with threaded studs built into them. I've searched the web and most of what I've found are retrogrades for wood saws and metals saws where they want you to completely replace the entire roller guide assembly! I'd just as soon replace the old roller guides rather than spend big bucks to buy something that I have no guaranty's will work anyways.

      Thanks!
      Richard
    • Joe R
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
        Richard.

        Maybe as a last resort is going to harbor freight's web site and downloading
        the manual and then order parts from them. The mounting studs are eccentric
        for adjusting and regular bearings are mounted on them. Here's a link to the
        pdf manual of their 4x6.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/93000-93999/93762.pdf

        Joe R
        > I've been lurking here fr a while. I've got a Dayton 3Z093A from 1965
        > and I'm having problems finding new roller guides for it. The ones for the
        > spine of the blade where easy as they are just plain bearings. The 2
        > roller guides for the sides of the blade are different as they are
        > bearings with threaded studs built into them. I've searched the web and
        > most of what I've found are retrogrades for wood saws and metals saws
        > where they want you to completely replace the entire roller guide
        > assembly! I'd just as soon replace the old roller guides rather than spend
        > big bucks to buy something that I have no guaranty's will work anyways.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Richard

      • Jack Dinan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
          Michael: I just stumbled upon a Dayton of unknown year, but to all
          appearances as old as yours. It had some home-made features like the
          bearing guide post that will need attention.
          I thought you might like to know that at least one set of bearings is
          generic and still available. I dissembled the top wheel because its
          bearings had an awful sandy feel. I took them to a local bearing
          dealer, who found them in his catalog and had them mailed to me. I
          hope the same things turns up to be true for the guide bearings.
          jack

          >Are you sure the threaded studs aren't simply pressed into the ID of
          >what are otherwise generic bearings?
          >

          >To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
          >From: richardviper@...
          >Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:05:17 +0000
          >Subject: [4x6bandsaw] roller guides
          >

          >Hello,
          >I've been lurking here fr a while. I've got a Dayton 3Z093A from
          >1965 and I'm having problems finding new roller guides for it. The
          >ones for the spine of the blade where easy as they are just plain
          >bearings. The 2 roller guides for the sides of the blade are
          >different as they are bearings with threaded studs built into them.
          >I've searched the web and most of what I've found are retrogrades
          >for wood saws and metals saws where they want you to completely
          >replace the entire roller guide assembly! I'd just as soon replace
          >the old roller guides rather than spend big bucks to buy something
          >that I have no guaranty's will work anyways.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >Richard
          >

          >Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection.
          ><http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
          >http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
          >>Sign up now.

        • Michael Schetterer
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
            Are you sure the threaded studs aren't simply pressed into the ID of what are otherwise generic bearings?

            To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
            From: richardviper@...
            Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:05:17 +0000

            Hello,
            I've been lurking here fr a while. I've got a Dayton 3Z093A from 1965 and I'm having problems finding new roller guides for it. The ones for the spine of the blade where easy as they are just plain bearings. The 2 roller guides for the sides of the blade are different as they are bearings with threaded studs built into them. I've searched the web and most of what I've found are retrogrades for wood saws and metals saws where they want you to completely replace the entire roller guide assembly! I'd just as soon replace the old roller guides rather than spend big bucks to buy something that I have no guaranty's will work anyways.

            Thanks!
            Richard

            Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.
          • onebike2ride
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
              Are you sure they are not regular bearings with threaded studs press fit into them? Try setting one on a vise with the stud pointing up. You'd want the vise open just enough to clear the center of the stud on the bottom side (just wide enough so the stud can move down and out without hitting a vice jaw). Carefully place a piece of wood over top of the stud with one hand to protect it from the hammer you are going to whack down on it with using your other hand. :-)

              You will likely be able to drive the studs right out - all ready then to press fit into new bearings.

              An alternative if all else fails is get someone with a metalworking lathe to help you. Buy the proper sized standard bearings, and turn and thread two steel studs on the lathe to press fit into the bearings. Voila, perfect replacement parts, made to order. :-)

              Cheers,
              John Z.

              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "meco3hp" <richardviper@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              > I've been lurking here fr a while. I've got a Dayton 3Z093A from 1965 and I'm having problems finding new roller guides for it. The ones for the spine of the blade where easy as they are just plain bearings. The 2 roller guides for the sides of the blade are different as they are bearings with threaded studs built into them. I've searched the web and most of what I've found are retrogrades for wood saws and metals saws where they want you to completely replace the entire roller guide assembly! I'd just as soon replace the old roller guides rather than spend big bucks to buy something that I have no guaranty's will work anyways.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Richard

            • onebike2ride
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dinan <jdinan@...> wrote:

                > Michael: I just stumbled upon a Dayton of unknown year, but to all
                > appearances as old as yours. It had some home-made features like the
                > bearing guide post that will need attention.
                > I thought you might like to know that at least one set of bearings is
                > generic and still available. I dissembled the top wheel because its
                > bearings had an awful sandy feel. I took them to a local bearing
                > dealer, who found them in his catalog and had them mailed to me. I
                > hope the same things turns up to be true for the guide bearings.
                <snip>
                - - -
                As a "mini machine shop" hobbyist with benchtop metalworking machines (7x12 mini-lathe and mini-milling machine, etc), I have found the best all around place to find bearings in virtually any spec.s you need, AND in quantity if you need a bunch is here:
                http://www.vxb.com/

                Measure the OD and ID and thickness of your bearings, and odds are very good you will find them at the above site. Cheaply. Likely can buy a whole pack of 10 for the price or less of what you would pay locally just for the 2 or 4 needed per guide...

                If it would turn out that Richard's Dayton bandsaw bearings really ARE "one piece" bearings with a threaded stud (I have never seen such a thing but anyway), he could still go by OD, ID and thickness (measuring the stud diameter to get ID) and order standard bearings of the proper size. I could make the press fit studs from CRS steel bar on my lathe, but I would obviously need to know diameter and length of the stud, and size and length of the threaded part. Also, how much clearance is there for the "head" of the stud... I'd suggest making the head the same OD as the inner bearing race's OD, and perhaps 1/16" thick or so. (Also, I assume U.S. inch threads since it is an older unit - but if metric no big deal I can do either).

                My only problem would be as an amateur, when I make things I like to test fit repeatedly as I go along to get the perfect desired fit. Without the bearings on hand I would have to leave it to Richard to, if necessary, chuck the threaded end of the stud in a drill, spin it up and wet sand the smooth part that would fit inside the bearing down with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and WD-40, until the studs will _just_ press fit in using your thumbs to force fit it in. Wet sanding can remove just a .001" or two at a time til you get a nice tight but not overly so fit. This wouldn't be real critical in any case, since the bearing itself will freely spin up against the blade - there won't be any real force trying to rotate the bearing's inner race (unless the bearings lock up sometime in the distant future - at which point disassemble, knock the stud out and fit it in a new bearing!). Sheesh I hope that all makes sense. Such simple concepts take a lot of typing to describe. :-)

                Postage on a couple custom made "T" studs to push fit into his bearings shouldn't be too bad I suppose... or, hopefully maybe someone with a lathe who lives closer to him could help out cheap more easily. Such jobs are soooo much easier when you are there to see things in detail yourself. I'm in York, Pa, btw.

                A quick look on Yahoo.com shows me they are still making Dayton bandsaws too - hows this for a beast?:
                http://www.drillspot.com/products/62263/Dayton_4YG31_Horizontal_Band_Saw

                Cheers,
                John Z.
              • Thomas Armstrong
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009

                  I've been lurking here fr a while. I've got a Dayton 3Z093A from 1965 and I'm having problems finding new roller guides for it. The ones for the spine of the blade where easy as they are just plain bearings. The 2 roller guides for the sides of the blade are different as they are bearings with threaded studs built into them. I've searched the web and most of what I've found are retrogrades for wood saws and metals saws where they want you to completely replace the entire roller guide assembly! I'd just as soon replace the old roller guides rather than spend big bucks to buy something that I have no guaranty's will work anyways.

                  Thanks!
                  Richard

                  Richard what you are looking for is call a Cam Roller or Cam Follower do a search on this.

                  Tommy

                • meco3hp
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Tommy,
                    That's what I'm looking for!
                    http://www.mcmaster.com/#cam-rollers/=4bi35m

                    Thanks!
                    Richard

> [...]
                  • ekdadlec
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
                      Richard,

                      It looks like Dayton is still making band saws. Here's a link to one that Grainger sells:

                      http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2LKT4?Pid=search

                      Parts may still be available for your band saw since the basic 4x6 band saw hasn't changed much over the years.

                      Ed