Re: To cool or not to cool.....That is the question

  • Junkman4al306@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
      my 2cents on coolant is if you want to use a coolant and setup one then that is the choice to go with.
      I have four of these little 4x6 bandsaw (1)a craftsman with hydralic downfeed that is probably 50 years old,(2)a Rong Fu which I believe made in Tiawan about 20 years old. (3) a Atlas thats 35 years old and (4) is a Jet.
      These I have always used dry and have never had a problem with them,if you keep them oiled up and use a good blade and align them right they last forever...the only one I have ever replaced anything on was the craftsman and that was because it was neglected before I got it...Jim

      **************
      A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd=JulystepsfooterNO115)
    • JON MARK PLEASANT
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
        I hope my saw lasts as long as yours.
        That's amazing!
        Jon

        ************ **
        A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x122284 6709x1201493018/ aol?redir= http://www. freecreditreport .com/pm/default. aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd=Julystepsfooter NO115)

      • Cliff. Johnston
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
          I use mine with a couple of drops of way oil - just enough to moisten the blade and the material.  From what I've observed it cuts somewhat better than when dry.  I had a couple of cuts through the same material - did the first one dry and the others with way oil.  It may be my imagination, but the lubed cuts appeared to go a wee bit faster.

          Cliff. Johnston
          "May the best you've ever seen,
           Be the worst you'll ever see;"
          from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
            It makes an amazing difference even
            on a hacksaw with some cuts. You
            lose less energy to rubbing anywhere
            but the teeth.

            Regards

            cww

            Cliff. Johnston wrote:

            > I use mine with a couple of drops of way oil - just enough to moisten
            > the blade and the material. From what I've observed it cuts somewhat
            > better than when dry. I had a couple of cuts through the same
            > material - did the first one dry and the others with way oil. It may
            > be my imagination, but the lubed cuts appeared to go a wee bit faster.
            >
            > Cliff. Johnston
            > "May the best you've ever seen,
            > Be the worst you'll ever see;"
            > from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

          • arthurok
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
              i  always cut dry
              the  shop i worked  at as  a teenager  had  a  dayton  bandsaw  that  was  a  little  larger  then  my 4x6  and  i was  told to use no cutting  oil.