Re: HF 4x6 problems

  • oldsagebrush
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
      Mark,
      My saw was good right out of the box too. It sounds like you got a lemon.
      Harold

      > My HF 4x6 worked good straight out of the box.
      > I guess I got lucky.
      >

      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dinan <jdinan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mark: My experience is not as bad as yours, but I had to do hours
      > of
      > > tweaking until the saw was usable. The one thing that I've not
      > > addressed and that is almost a show stopper is that the saw blade
      > is
      > > not perpendicular to the table. Others on the list have this
      > problem.
      > > The fix involves a major repositioning of the entire head with
      > > respect to the base.
      > > Most folks on the list seem satisfied with their HF saw.
      > > I for one am not.
      > > You will find the list a gold mine of info and help. See the photos
      > > and articles on how to fix some of your problems.
      > >
      > > jack
      > >
      > > >Hello! I am new to this group. I recently purchased a HF 4x6. I
      > > >expected some "tune up" work would be necessary, but was very
      > > >disappointed. One pulley was broken, which was replaced (I removed
      > > >it and the local dealer took one off another saw). However, that
      > was
      > > >the beginning of my problems. When I assembled the saw, the motor
      > > >would just hum but not turn over. I discovered that there was a
      > > >large piece of rubber looking material wedged between the saw blade
      > > >and the housing. I removed this and then tried to turn the motor
      > > >over by hand. I finally succeeded in getting the motor to work,
      > > >although it seems slow to me. The vertical table is not
      > > >perpendicular to the blade when the saw is in the upright position
      > > >(which is the least of the problems) and the blade jumps off of the
      > > >wheels. I am a reasonably proficient home machinist and also do
      > some
      > > >protoype work at my place of employment. I am trying to decide
      > > >whether it is worth the effort to take the thing apart and take it
      > > >back and exchange it for another HF saw or whether this is the
      > > >normal starting point for these saws. I did not expect a DoAll, but
      > > >am unsure just how bad these things are supposed to be. I would
      > > >welcome opinions. Regards,
      > > >
      > > >Mark

    • arthurok
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
        the  worn  out  sl;ightly  larger  Dayton  I  used  many  years  ago  as  a  teenager     was  a  bit  better   then  this saw
        the  hydraulic  blade  feed  was  better    but  overall  this  saw   is  almost  as  goood   for  what  im  doing.
        ive  never  used  it  as  a  vertical  saw   and  the  pieces  i  cut  in  it  get  finished  using    a  lathe   or  x3  milling  machine.
        the  included  table  is  too  smalll   and  the  blades  are  too  wide  for  anything  other  then streight  cuts.
        im  used  to  using  a large grob  bandsaw    and welding  the  blade inside  of  a drilled  hole   then  using  maybe  a 5/16"  blade  to cut  out  an  opening   "punchpress  die  making"