Re: Newer model red HF saw reviews

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
      I have now owned both the red & green one.
      IMHO, the green one is an overall better saw out of the box. and
      better value. I returned my red one after several time stalling on start.

      Here are a few difference I found.

      Green Pros
      - lower cost
      - lighter weight
      Green Cons
      - unstable feet
      - useless stock blade

      Red Pros
      - Vertical/horizontal position lock.
      Red Cons
      - unstable feet
      - useless stock blade
      - undersize starting capacitor (40uF) causing stalling on start
    • Roger Ulsky
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
        I have noticed that stalling problem and wondered what the problem
        was. Does anyone know what size starting capacitor the saw should
        have?

        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <modamag_std@...> wrote:

        > I have now owned both the red & green one.
        > IMHO, the green one is an overall better saw out of the box. and
        > better value. I returned my red one after several time stalling on
        start.

        > Here are a few difference I found.
        >
        > Green Pros
        > - lower cost
        > - lighter weight
        > Green Cons
        > - unstable feet
        > - useless stock blade
        >

        > Red Pros
        > - Vertical/horizontal position lock.
        > Red Cons
        > - unstable feet
        > - useless stock blade
        > - undersize starting capacitor (40uF) causing stalling on start

      • Joe R
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
          My Harbor Freight tool grinder tends to be a little slow to start also. It's
          rated at 3/4 HP. But so far my RED saw has not exhibited that problem.
          Having retired from the computer field I think the quality, like the rest of
          the saw, of the capacitors is sub par.

          Joe R

          >I have noticed that stalling problem and wondered what the problem
          > was. Does anyone know what size starting capacitor the saw should
          > have?
          >
          > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <modamag_std@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I have now owned both the red & green one.
          >> IMHO, the green one is an overall better saw out of the box. and
          >> better value. I returned my red one after several time stalling on
          > start.
        • Jonathan
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
            General rule of thumb is 50-100uF per HP for a start capacitor.

            Now if you want to increase the running torque, install a set of run
            cap in it. General rule of thumb is 10-15 uF per HP.
          • Fred Scott
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <modamag_std@...> wrote:

              > General rule of thumb is 50-100uF per HP for a start capacitor.
              >
              > Now if you want to increase the running torque, install a set of run
              > cap in it. General rule of thumb is 10-15 uF per HP.

              Can you go into detail on how to install run capacitors? I've got
              plenty of caps and would love more torque out of this saw.
            • Jonathan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 12, 2008
                To install the Run capacitor.

                One leg of the run capacitor is connected between the start capacitor
                and the start winding.

                The other leg is connected to L1.

                Note that this IS NOT exactly in parallel because your start capacitor
                is also in series with the start relay.
              • Jonathan
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Here's a good link to explains it.
                  http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/9.html

                  Take a look at the:
                  Capacitor-run motor induction motor
                • speedfreakg33k
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2008
                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "mc_n_g" <mc_n_g@...> wrote:

                    > Has anyone put one of these 'newer' models saws to the test yet? I was
                    > wondering if there have been any significant improvements as compared
                    > to teh older green style saws. Is it more of the same except for new
                    > packaging? The castings look a little better and the motor looks
                    > different (but looks can be deceiving). I am asking more out of
                    > curiosity unless my bandsaw up and dies a tragic death.
                    > Thanks.

                    yes I have one of the red one's here and itd awsome

                    Jeff
                  • Joe R
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
                      I have and after correcting the biggest flaw of the saw portion coming down
                      at an angle because of a misdrilled hole in the base casting. It works like
                      a champ. The hole is easily fixed by drilling it out to 3/4" then drilling a
                      hole in a 3/4" piece of stock for the pivot pin off center as far as
                      possible it now travels downward in a straight 90 degree angle. I still need
                      to releave some of the tension put on the pinion shaft bearing because of
                      the bore it's in being slightly small. It growls like a mean dog!

                      Joe

                      >> Has anyone put one of these 'newer' models saws to the test yet? I was
                      >> wondering if there have been any significant improvements as compared
                      >> to teh older green style saws. Is it more of the same except for new
                      >> packaging? The castings look a little better and the motor looks
                      >> different (but looks can be deceiving). I am asking more out of
                      >> curiosity unless my bandsaw up and dies a tragic death.
                      >> Thanks.

                    • Jack Dinan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
                        >--- In
                        ><mailto:4x6bandsaw%40yahoogroups.com>4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com,
                        >"mc_n_g" <mc_n_g@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Has anyone put one of these 'newer' models saws to the test yet? I was
                        >> wondering if there have been any significant improvements as compared

                        I bought a red one a year ago. If this is representative of the
                        current state of the HF art, then I'd give it mixed ratings.
                        It was not ready to use out of the box.
                        As everyone has reported, the blade needed to be replaced with a bi-metal one.
                        The stand needed to be replaced with a home-made one with a much
                        wider footprint.
                        The alignment of everything needed to be tweaked.

                        And finally, the cut is not perpendicular to the axis of a work
                        piece. The angle is about ten degrees. No amount of tweaking of the
                        roller bearings or the idler worked. As best as I can judge, the
                        entire upper arm is tilted by ten degrees to the floor of the vise.
                        Correcting this will, I think, involve removing the arm and re-doing
                        its mounting shaft. I've been delaying this for months. Not much fun.
                        FWIW.
                        Jack

                        > > to teh older green style saws. Is it more of the same except for new
                        >> packaging? The castings look a little better and the motor looks
                        >> different (but looks can be deceiving). I am asking more out of
                        >> curiosity unless my bandsaw up and dies a tragic death.
                        >> Thanks.
                        >>

                        >yes I have one of the red one's here and itd awsome
                        >
                        >Jeff
                      • Jack Dinan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Joe: This is exactly the problem with my saw. Any chance of your
                          taking a photo or two of your fix?
                          jack

                          >I have and after correcting the biggest flaw of the saw portion coming down
                          >at an angle because of a misdrilled hole in the base casting. It works like
                          >a champ. The hole is easily fixed by drilling it out to 3/4" then drilling a
                          >hole in a 3/4" piece of stock for the pivot pin off center as far as
                          >possible it now travels downward in a straight 90 degree angle. I still need
                          >to releave some of the tension put on the pinion shaft bearing because of
                          >the bore it's in being slightly small. It growls like a mean dog!
                          >
                          >Joe
                        • Joe R
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
                            Jack.

                            "Ask and you shall receive"

                            I just put a picture of the finished product in the photo section on the
                            group's web site. The album is titled "Joe's RED HF saw"

                            It was a simple fix for me. First I determined how much "adjustment" was
                            needed and in what direction. I found it needed to be lowered just a tiny
                            bit, maybe a 1/16". So with my 3/4" Silver/demming (sp?) drill I opened the
                            left hole up to 3/4" with my hand held 1/2" drill. Next I cut a piece of
                            3/4" round stock just over the length of the casting boss. Then I center
                            punched one end of the 3/4" round for drilling a 5/8" hole just inside the
                            outer wall of the stock. The pivot shaft is 5/8". After drilling the hole
                            on my drill press I tried it on for fit and it was perfect. This could also
                            be done on a lathe and 4 jaw chuck. So then I used red locktite and a roll
                            pin to hold it in place. Drilling for the roll pin required running the 5/8"
                            drill through the hole again to remove the burr. (cold, like in Ohio! lol).

                            Problem solved using the "KISS" method! I might suggest you first try what
                            worked for me and if you need more correction you can go to a larger hole
                            and stock. You could get real fancy and turn one out of hex stock and using
                            a set screw so you fine tune it but I don't think that's needed here.

                            You might also want to drill both sides for oil holes while it's apart.
                            That's hind sight speaking here! lol.

                            I read on one of the forums that the Chinese copy castings exactly without
                            allowing for shrinkage after it cools and that causes this kind of problems.

                            Joe R

                            > Joe: This is exactly the problem with my saw. Any chance of your
                            > taking a photo or two of your fix?
                            > jack

                          • Jack Dinan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Joe: Got it!. Clever and very easy. I'll bump this project up toward
                              the top of my list.
                              Thanks a lot for this.
                              jack