Re: Bandsaw stand, what a difference!

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 1, 2008
      Aaron,

      Check out Henry Arnold's pictures of the stand he made out of square
      tubing. Real nice, simple design. I plan on plagerizing his design
      when I build my steel stand. I currently have one made out of wood but
      want to make a steel stand on casters as a welding learning
      experience. I've never welded before so I thought the stand would be a
      good beginner project.

      Ed

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Willis" <te51levin@...> wrote:

      > I'm going to have to go check the files and pics, see if anyone has any
      > plans for a sturdier stand. My little Jet is walking all over the
      > garage and making a hell of a racket in the process. I have plenty of
      > 1" square tubing and I'm not afraid to use it, but I'd really rather
      > borrow or steal someone else's work than design the thing from scratch.
      > There are things I want to spend time engineering, but this ain't one of
      > them.
      >
      > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 01:17:46 -0400, "Rich Dean" <toolman8@...>
      > said:
      > > Frederic,
      > > My saw is one of the orginal imports from Taiwan in the 70's.
      > > Not much has changed...
      > >
      > > Fred Scott wrote:
      > > > I made a proper stand for my bandsaw out of some old bedframes and a
      > > > turkey pan for a chip/coolant catcher...
      > --
      > Aaron Willis
      > '85 AW11 7A-GE hybrid
      > '77 TE51 3T/2T-G project

    • Aaron Willis
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 1, 2008
        Is that the one filed under "Henry's Red HF"? Certainly looks simple.
        As is typical, I have been making this more complicated than it needs to
        be. That simpler design, or some variation on it, may be the way to go.

        --
        Aaron Willis
        '85 AW11 7A-GE hybrid
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 1, 2008
          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Willis" <te51levin@...> wrote:
          > I'm going to have to go check the files and pics, see if anyone has
          any plans for a sturdier stand.

          Just as a thought to people on quick fixes for stands. On a number of
          my machines I've put a shelf below the machines - started out as a way
          to increase storage. Since then I made a number of sandbags out of
          denim pants legs and put them on the shelves. This damps out much of
          the vibration. There is a guy on ebay selling cheap sandbags for pro
          cinema work but denim is cheaper still. This doesn't replace a nicely
          welded custom stand, but it does help.
          -Steve
        • Ed
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 1, 2008
            Aaron,

            Yes, that's the one. Nice design.

            Ed

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Willis" <te51levin@...> wrote:

            > Is that the one filed under "Henry's Red HF"? Certainly looks simple.
            > As is typical, I have been making this more complicated than it needs to
            > be. That simpler design, or some variation on it, may be the way to go.
            >
            > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:02:44 -0000, "Ed" <ekadlec@...> said:
            > > Aaron,
            > >
            > > Check out Henry Arnold's pictures of the stand he made out of square
            > > tubing. Real nice, simple design. I plan on plagerizing his design
            > > when I build my steel stand. I currently have one made out of wood but
            > > want to make a steel stand on casters as a welding learning
            > > experience. I've never welded before so I thought the stand would be a
            > > good beginner project.
            > >
            > > Ed
            > --
            > Aaron Willis
            > '85 AW11 7A-GE hybrid

          • Neil Butterfield
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 1, 2008

              It seems like every few months we have a series of posts concerning stands for the 4 x 6 saw and I’ve never heard mention of my favorite stand or the vertical table seat fixture I’ve enclosed.

              I have a small machine shop and I do no welding (just a little brazing now and then) so I wanted a stand low to the ground, rigid, and easily movable so I could scoot it out of the way under one end of my bench. I use my saw mainly for cutting round and rectangular stock to length prior to machining and occasionally I need to cut out a shaped piece in the vertical position. Sitting down makes that a lot easier on my old back.

              I think the heavy wooden base absorbs vibration well…at least I have no vibration problems and the machine/base combination does not move, and it’s on 3” rubber casters.

              I’ve scanned and attached the Home Shop Machinist articles and would be glad to send photos of my set-up if anyone really needs them…I think the articles are pretty self-explanatory. I’m sure many of you are familiar with the name Rudy Kouhoupt, author and designer of the Base for a Band Saw from the Jan/Feb 1994 issue. Rudy had many articles and engine designs in HSM along with three very popular “Shop Wisdom” books along with other books and pamphlets. I thought the Band Saw Fixture or “seat” was Rudy’s design also but now I see it was D.A. Drayson in the Sept/Oct 1997 HSM.

              Neil Butterfield

              Phoenix, AZ

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                Neil,

                thanks for the vertical table idea, a great solution! I've been looking at my band-saw and thinking "I'll have to make a new table" but until now, I had n't found the answer. Easily installed with a good size table.

                thanks again,

                Matthew TINKER
                CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log
                http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35519

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Neil; Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU A THOUSAND TIMES!

                  I need to replace/ create a new table for vertical sawing and have been
                  dreading it! This will work perfectly. I even have a piece of piano
                  hinge laying around somewhere.

                  I may make the thing, take photos and upload to our group. I think it
                  is worth keeping. I don't think the originals should be posted as these
                  are certainly copy-righted.

                  --

                  Later.... Randy S
                  mailto:randyrls@...

                  Neil Butterfield wrote:

                  > It seems like every few months we have a series of posts concerning
                  > stands for the 4 x 6 saw and I’ve never heard mention of my favorite
                  > stand or the vertical table seat fixture I’ve enclosed.

                • n5kzw
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                    I'm surprised that you are having that much noise and vibration with
                    your saw, Aaron. I may be in the minority, but my old Grizzly pretty
                    much runs with no noise or vibration. I have made a number of
                    improvements to the saw, but I have never felt the need to modify or
                    replace the flimsy sheet metal stand that it came with, and I have cut
                    pieces weighing well over 100# (albeit with one end supported on a
                    roller).

                    How about an impromptu poll? How many of you have had your saw for
                    over a year and are still using the stand that it came with, unmodified?

                    A Different Ed

                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Willis" <te51levin@...> wrote:

                    > I'm going to have to go check the files and pics, see if anyone has any
                    > plans for a sturdier stand. My little Jet is walking all over the
                    > garage and making a hell of a racket in the process. I have plenty of
                    > 1" square tubing and I'm not afraid to use it, but I'd really rather
                    > borrow or steal someone else's work than design the thing from scratch.
                    > There are things I want to spend time engineering, but this ain't one of
                    > them.

                    <SNIP>
                    > --
                    > Aaron Willis
                    > '85 AW11 7A-GE hybrid
                    > '77 TE51 3T/2T-G project

                  • Fred Scott
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                      I just stuck a picture up in the photos section. I think it's a
                      pretty self explanatory design. If you don't have square tube, this
                      is a very cheap alternative.

                      I paid a couple bucks for a can of spray paint. Everything else I got
                      for free.

                    • onebike2ride
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@...> wrote:
                        > How about an impromptu poll? How many of you have had your saw for
                        > over a year and are still using the stand that it came with,
                        unmodified?

                        Guilty as charged. Sheer laziness, perhaps.

                        I have a 1-1/2 bay garage with a nice smooth cement floor with
                        plenty of room, so the flimsy stand has done OK enough that I use it
                        without fixing it up. Once I got rid of the original blade and
                        started using good bimetal variable pitch blades (10-14 tpi) it cuts
                        like its supposed to and so, if it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

                        My big modification: To make spur gears, I use a compass to scribe a
                        circle of the proper diameter for a needed gear blank, on 5/16" thick
                        aluminum plate. I set up the saw in vertical mode with the stock
                        cutting table that came with it, and (drum roll please)- I use an old
                        chair cushion, carefully placed on the end of the saw stand opposite
                        from the motor, and straddle and sit on it like I was riding a bike
                        while roughly cutting out around the scribed circle. My own weight
                        holds everything down and allows me to work much more comfortably. I
                        use various tools to hold and push workpieces close to the cutting
                        blade, in order to ensure I finish with as many fingers as I started
                        with, and thats about that.

                        I then center drill and tap a hole in the center of the roughly sort
                        of "stop sign" shaped gear blank, mount it on my special threaded
                        gear blank holding rod, mount and center that in the 4-jaw chuck on
                        my mini-lathe, and patiently thumpity-thumpity turn it down to a
                        smooth round disk shaped gear blank, all ready for cutting the gear
                        teeth into. But thats another whole long story:
                        http://jzcomputer.com/spurgears/

                        So yes, I could make a better stand, but haven't needed to badly
                        enough to actually do it. I just use the saw to do what I need and
                        thats that. I still like the idea of a better more solid - even
                        possibly *folding* - stand and will get there eventually, but between
                        work, family, and other more interesting projects to work (ok, play)
                        with, I just haven't got a 'round tuit' yet.

                        Basically, based on what I read about other folks problems and
                        solutions with these little 4x6 bandsaws, I realize I just got
                        *lucky* - my saw must have been put together by one of the better
                        factory employees who was having a good day when mine happened to
                        come down the assembly line. The right phase of the moon and proper
                        alignment of all the various stars and planets may or may not have
                        been additional factors in this luck of the draw. I just dunno. :-)

                        My advice to someone looking to buy the HF 4x6 bandsaw would be get
                        it at the local HF store, immediately replace the crap blade with a
                        good bimetal one, and be quick to take the whole bandsaw back for a
                        replacement if you get a bum unit. If you start with a good bandsaw
                        to work with you'll be a lot happier forthwith. (Take off the good
                        bimetal blade and replace the crap one before taking the machine back
                        to swap it).

                        John Z.
                      • Cliff. Johnston
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                          Neil,

                          I'd like to see some photos of your stand - much appreciated.

                          Thanks,

                          Cliff.
                          "May the best you've ever seen,
                           Be the worst you'll ever see;"
                          from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                            Fred,

                            I've been looking at various bandsaw stand designs for the past 6 months, and this is the first one that I really like.  I think that you've done an excellent job with yours.  Congrats!

                            Cliff. Johnston
                            "May the best you've ever seen,
                             Be the worst you'll ever see;"
                            from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay
                            I just stuck a picture up in the photos section. I think it's a
                            pretty self explanatory design. If you don't have square tube, this
                            is a very cheap alternative.

                            I paid a couple bucks for a can of spray paint. Everything else I got
                            for free.

                            http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/4x6bandsaw /photos/browse/ 20c1?c=

                          • warren hughes

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                                Hi Ed,
                                I am using the stand supplied with my saw and I do not have any real
                                problems with it. The stand was certainly rigid enough and there was
                                no undue vibration. The only changes to the stand that I have made
                                are:
                                1. Fixed a lower shelf to provide more storage.
                                2. Fixed a panel on one side. This was originally just so that I
                                could mount a switch for a worklight that I fixed to the saw. I have
                                since added a sloping gutter to the panel to direct all the metal saw
                                dust into a box below the machine. This saves a lot of sweeping up
                                after use.
                                3. The only serious problem I have found with the original stand is
                                that with the saw in the vertical position then it is a little top
                                heavy and a very small inclination to the rear will cause it to
                                topple over backwards. This occurred once when I tried to move the
                                saw with the saw in the vertical position. Fortunately no damage was
                                done but it was a bit scary. I have since replaced the to old bracket
                                that supports the wheels and moved the wheels a few inches further
                                back to prevent this happening again.
                                Kind regards
                                Mike
                                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

                                > I'm surprised that you are having that much noise and vibration with
                                > your saw, Aaron. I may be in the minority, but my old Grizzly
                                pretty
                                > much runs with no noise or vibration. I have made a number of
                                > improvements to the saw, but I have never felt the need to modify or
                                > replace the flimsy sheet metal stand that it came with, and I have
                                cut
                                > pieces weighing well over 100# (albeit with one end supported on a
                                > roller).
                                >
                                > How about an impromptu poll? How many of you have had your saw for
                                > over a year and are still using the stand that it came with,
                                unmodified?

                                > A Different Ed
                                >
                                > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Willis" <te51levin@>
                                wrote:

                                > > I'm going to have to go check the files and pics, see if anyone
                                has any
                                > > plans for a sturdier stand. My little Jet is walking all over the
                                > > garage and making a hell of a racket in the process. I have
                                plenty of
                                > > 1" square tubing and I'm not afraid to use it, but I'd really
                                rather
                                > > borrow or steal someone else's work than design the thing from
                                scratch.
                                > > There are things I want to spend time engineering, but this ain't
                                one of
                                > > them.
                                > >
                                > <SNIP>
                                > > --
                                > > Aaron Willis
                                > > '85 AW11 7A-GE hybrid
                                > > '77 TE51 3T/2T-G project

                              • Joe R
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                                  John.

                                  Fantastic job on cutting the gears and I enjoyed your site! I've printed it
                                  out for future reference.

                                  Thanks
                                  Joe R

                                  > Guilty as charged. Sheer laziness, perhaps.

                                  [snip]

                                  > I then center drill and tap a hole in the center of the roughly sort
                                  > of "stop sign" shaped gear blank, mount it on my special threaded
                                  > gear blank holding rod, mount and center that in the 4-jaw chuck on
                                  > my mini-lathe, and patiently thumpity-thumpity turn it down to a
                                  > smooth round disk shaped gear blank, all ready for cutting the gear
                                  > teeth into. But thats another whole long story:
                                  > http://jzcomputer.com/spurgears/

                                  [snip]

                                  > John Z.

                                • Keith Green
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                                    Been using mine for over 5 years now (though not steadily, 2 week
                                    spurts or so). Original stand is a little annoying but functional. Worst
                                    thing about it is the bracket that mounts the wheels is too flxy and I
                                    have to tip the saw almost 45 deg. to get it up over the door sill of my
                                    shop. I do a lot of my cutting outside as my parts tend towards longer
                                    pieces.

                                    Keith

                                    n5kzw wrote:
                                    > I'm surprised that you are having that much noise and vibration with
                                    > your saw, Aaron. I may be in the minority, but my old Grizzly pretty
                                    > much runs with no noise or vibration. I have made a number of
                                    > improvements to the saw, but I have never felt the need to modify or
                                    > replace the flimsy sheet metal stand that it came with, and I have cut
                                    > pieces weighing well over 100# (albeit with one end supported on a
                                    > roller).
                                    >
                                    > How about an impromptu poll? How many of you have had your saw for
                                    > over a year and are still using the stand that it came with, unmodified?
                                    >
                                    > A Different Ed
                                    >
                                    > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Willis" <te51levin@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> I'm going to have to go check the files and pics, see if anyone has any
                                    >> plans for a sturdier stand. My little Jet is walking all over the
                                    >> garage and making a hell of a racket in the process. I have plenty of
                                    >> 1" square tubing and I'm not afraid to use it, but I'd really rather
                                    >> borrow or steal someone else's work than design the thing from scratch.
                                    >> There are things I want to spend time engineering, but this ain't one of
                                    >> them.
                                    >>

                                    > <SNIP>
                                    >
                                    >> --
                                    >> Aaron Willis
                                    >> '85 AW11 7A-GE hybrid
                                    >> '77 TE51 3T/2T-G project

                                  • onebike2ride
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Joe R" <jromas@...> wrote:

                                      > John.
                                      >
                                      > Fantastic job on cutting the gears and I enjoyed your site! I've
                                      printed it
                                      > out for future reference.
                                      >
                                      > > teeth into. But thats another whole long story:
                                      > > http://jzcomputer.com/spurgears/

                                      Speaking of printing, maybe some folks here could use some LARGE
                                      PRINT charts, such as all drill bit sizes 1-60, A-Z, and 1/64 to 1
                                      inch, all combined and sorted by size, with millimeter equivilents
                                      thrown in.

                                      http://jzcomputer.com/MetalWorking/ChartMenu.aspx

                                      I made those up quite some time ago and posted links on a few
                                      metalworking lists, but can't remember if I ever posted the link here
                                      or not. Probably not but in any case, either there it is, or there it
                                      is again. :-)

                                      (Includes instructions on getting Internet Explorer 7 to print the
                                      background colors so the charts look right when printed out).

                                      John Z.
                                    • Neil Butterfield
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                                        Randy,

                                        You probably got my post to the group stating that I posted photos of my 4x6
                                        saw and the Table/Seat and the low profile stand. Photos at: neilaz
                                        modifications on the Yahoo site.

                                        Glad you like.

                                        Neil

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008

                                          Matthew,

                                          I posted photos of my vertical table along with the low profile wood machine stand. Check out on the 4x6 Yahoo site; neilaz Modifications.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 2, 2008
                                            Thanks Neil!

                                            I will be making a variation, my band-saw is higher than normal, with coolant which keeps the blade clean. So I don't need a seat, but I do need a drain. It's coming together in my mind!

                                            Regards,

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                                              Neil; Excellent photos! I located a scrape piece of plywood to use. I
                                              still need to find that piano hinge.

                                              I retained the original support legs, but added a set of rollers with
                                              better wheels. I also extended the wheels further to the sides and rear
                                              of the saw to make it more stable in the vertical position.

                                              http://www.coleman-family.org/g2/main.php?g2_itemId=2071

                                              Since the photo was taken, I've added shelving to hold stock and weight
                                              the saw, and a drip fitting with tray to catch offcuts and swarf.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008

                                                Randy,

                                                Looks great!

                                                Regular hinges will work as you can see in my photos. You’ll love the table.

                                                Neil

                                                Neil Butterfield wrote:

                                                > Matthew,
                                                >

                                                > I posted photos of my vertical table along with the low profile wood
                                                > machine stand. Check out on the 4x6 Yahoo site; neilaz Modifications.

                                              • Stuart Bloom
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                                                  If you can weld, try this:

                                                  The flimsy stand that comes with the saw is hinged so that it can be folded up and packed into the flat box (1998 vintage Cummins or HF green).

                                                  I was ready to start making a bed frame or wooden base using ideas from here.  But, I figured what the heck.  I used the flimsy stand to practice tack welding thin sheet metal with my newly acquired HF flux-core / MIG welder.

                                                  Its definitely the most ugly weld job ever (blow throughs and big gobs of excess welding material), but to my delight, welding the hinged and bolted edges of the sheet metal stand firmed it up immensely.  I still have the bent metal where the "handle" pushes through and where the wheels attach.

                                                  I may still make the wood or steel frame stand, but the "need" has gone away for now.

                                                  Stu

                                                • Baitfisherman

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 3, 2008
                                                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Scott" <fscott@...> wrote:

                                                      > I made a proper stand for my bandsaw out of some old bedframes and a
                                                      > turkey pan for a chip/coolant catcher.
                                                      >
                                                      > Wow, what a difference it makes! The saw doesn't have a single rattle
                                                      > to it anymore. The motor makes a very faint hum, and you can hear the
                                                      > shhhing sound of the blade cutting through metal.
                                                      >
                                                      > Before, I'd turn on the saw and I'd leave the garage because I was
                                                      > concerned about hearing damage from the noise. I'm stunned that all
                                                      > of that noise was from the cheap sheet metal stand rattling and
                                                      > clattering.
                                                      >
                                                      > Next project, hydraulic downfeed or coolant system?
                                                      >
                                                      > Frederic

                                                      I visit the www.shopfloortal.com frequently. One of the members put
                                                      together a really neat folding bandsaw stand. You may want to check it
                                                      out:

                                                      http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17007

                                                      It saves a lot of space.