Reducing Vibration & Noise on the 4x6

  • Henry Arnold
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
      I've been trying to reduce vibration and noise on my Red HF 4x6. When
      I first got it, it had terrible vibrations and rattled like a Model T.
      I know some of this has been said before in this forum but I thought
      it is worth summarizing it again. Here's what I did:

      1. Make sure the motor drive pulleys are aligned with a straight edge.
      Mine were off by a good 3/8". I had to loosen the motor, move it, and
      move the pulleys on their shafts to get correct alignment.

      2. Make sure the two blade pulleys are aligned with a straight edge.
      This made a big difference for me. This one and number 1 made the
      biggest improvements and have been mentioned many times in this forum.
      I had to make a new driven wheel spacer to put the blade wheels in
      alignment.

      3. I replaced the drive belt with a better quality Gates belt. This
      helped reduce vibration a little but another gain came when I switched
      to a Fenner Power Link Belt. This belt virtually eliminated vibration.

      4. Get rid of the flimsy stand which not only tips over easily but
      rattles. My new solid stand quieted things down considerably.

      5. I was able to tighten the latch on my belt cover to keep it from
      rattling. I added a felt pad between the motor and belt cover to
      eliminate rattling between them.

      6. I added felt pads (round ones used on kitchen cabinet doors) to
      strategic places where the blade cover touches the frame. This also
      eliminated a lot of rattling.

      My saw now runs smooth with very little vibration and no rattling noise.

      Henry Arnold
    • Randy Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
        3. I replaced the drive belt with a better quality Gates belt. This
        > helped reduce vibration a little but another gain came when I switched
        > to a Fenner Power Link Belt. This belt virtually eliminated vibration.

        Henry; What size was the power link belt? I have these style of
        belts on some of my woodworking equipment and they really reduce
        vibration. According to the reasoning in the WW groups it is because
        the belt doesn't take a "set".

        --

        Later.... Randy S
        mailto:randyrls@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
          The stock belt on the 4x6 is 21" so I bought 24" of 3/8" wide Power
          Link belt to make sure I had enough. I had three or four links left
          over. You can buy the Power Link belt from the following EBay vendor:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ss\
          PageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220229333241

          He sells it by the foot for $4.75/ft which is good price. No one else
          I could find sells it by the foot. Shipping is only $4.55.

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith <randyrls@...> wrote:

          > 3. I replaced the drive belt with a better quality Gates belt. This
          > > helped reduce vibration a little but another gain came when I
          switched
          > > to a Fenner Power Link Belt. This belt virtually eliminated
          vibration.

          > Henry; What size was the power link belt? I have these style of
          > belts on some of my woodworking equipment and they really reduce
          > vibration. According to the reasoning in the WW groups it is because
          > the belt doesn't take a "set".
          >

          > --
          >

          > Later.... Randy S
          > mailto:randyrls@...
          > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
          >

          > Henry Arnold wrote:
          > >
          > > 3. I replaced the drive belt with a better quality Gates belt. This
          > > helped reduce vibration a little but another gain came when I switched
          > > to a Fenner Power Link Belt. This belt virtually eliminated vibration.

        • upand_at_them
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
            My local Rockler woodworking store has it for $7.99/ft. Comes close to
            the same price since there's no shipping needed.

            Mike

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Arnold" <henryarnold@...>
            wrote:

            > No one else I could find sells it by the foot. Shipping is only $4.55.
          • dnaman43
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "upand_at_them" <upand_at_them@...>
              wrote:

              > My local Rockler woodworking store has it for $7.99/ft. Comes close to
              > the same price since there's no shipping needed.

              Busy Bee sells them in Canada - on sale at CDN$7.28 right now for
              interested Canucks.
            • Randy Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
                Thanks Henry; I went to the Ebay listing and checked. It is a 3L belt.

                Being quite a pack rat, I checked my belt bin and found I have a 3L
                power link belt that I can use. Thanks for the info.

                I believe I got this from Grizzly. It has a number H9816 on it.

                As someone else commented, these belts are available in several common
                sizes, but I don't have a Rockler near me. MSC is about 30 minutes from
                my house, and Grizzly is about a 2 hour drive.

                The comment about "by the foot" is RIGHT ON! Make sure and check the
                quantity before anyone orders! Nothing is more disappointing than
                putting in an order expecting one belt and getting one FOOT of belt! :(

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Why is it a 3/8" belt, though? The Gates that I have on mine right now
                  is 1/2".

                  wrote:
                  > The stock belt on the 4x6 is 21" so I bought 24" of 3/8" wide Power
                  > Link belt
                • Henry Arnold
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
                    My pulleys have 3/8" grooves. Maybe this varies from saw to saw. I
                    thought they all had the same pulleys.

                    wrote:

                    > Why is it a 3/8" belt, though? The Gates that I have on mine right now
                    > is 1/2".
                    >
                    > Mike
                    >
                    > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Arnold" <henryarnold@>
                    > wrote:
                    > > The stock belt on the 4x6 is 21" so I bought 24" of 3/8" wide Power
                    > > Link belt

                  • arthurok
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
                      a  3l  belt is 3/8  wide  4l  belts  are  1/2   wide
                      3l  and 4l belts  are easy to come by
                      especially  4l belts   because they  are used  in appliance  applications

                      wrote:

                      > Why is it a 3/8" belt, though? The Gates that I have on mine right now
                      > is 1/2".
                      >
                      > Mike
                      >
                      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogro ups.com, "Henry Arnold" <henryarnold@ >
                      > wrote:
                      > > The stock belt on the 4x6 is 21" so I bought 24" of 3/8" wide Power
                      > > Link belt

                    • upand_at_them
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
                        I just measured my Delta and it is 1/2" at the top of the groove. So I
                        guess there's another change the Chinese made.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
                          if its  a  newer  delta then  its  probably built  in  china