Re: Gear Oil

  • Bill Jones
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 1, 2004
      Jason, BK is correct. Real easy, with the saw in the horizontal
      position, just pour in oil until it is about to run out of the box.
      Appears to take less than a pint...Bill

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "bkfan2001" <bkfan2001@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Jason,
      >
      > I am not Bill, but picked my saw up a little while back (for
      $99.99).
      > Once you have the saw assembled abd you take the gear box plate
      off,
      > it will be clear as to how much to fill. The box sets at an angle
      and
      > you just pour in enough until it is about to overflow the bottom
      edge
      > of the box. As far as fluid, I also used a synthetic (Mobil 1) gear
      > lube 75w-140. The assembly book will tell you the specs. It might
      be
      > to yor advantage to drain the gearbox before putting the legs on,
      > this may be a little less unweildy. Also make sure to flush the box
      > out with a mild solvent. Also thouroghly rinse the gears etc off.
      It
      > turns out that the Tiawanese manufacturers don't do a real good job
      > of getting all the casting sand out of the box before assembly.
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > BK
      >

      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "mazdarotaryracer"
      <jbsmith@r...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi Bill - I just joined the other day...I'm planning on picking
      up
      > > HF 4x6 this weekend - $149 on sale! Woohoo!
      > >
      > > Regarding the gear oil change, is it pretty intuitive how much
      > > replacement oil to add? I'm planning on draining the gearbox and
      > > filling it back up with....90W? 75/140W? What's everyone
      > recommend?
      > > Also, is there a a "fill line" or do I need to measure how much
      > > replace in advance.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Jason

    • Jerry Durand
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 12, 2012
        How about heat-sealing into something like a Seal-a-Meal bag?

        On 03/12/2012 09:03 PM, bbass408 wrote:
        > I was thinking how to ship without sending a gloppy mess through the mail. At the risk of being totally lame and feeding off an organization I love and pay handsomely...
        > BlackStone Labs oil testing sends free oil sample containers with amazing packaging. They just send them like junk mail. To use the container in the container, you can only ship about 3 oz, But, if we used the big container and sealed it accordingly, it would be enough.
        > The stock setup is:
        > Oil in capped plastic container.
        > Container wrapped in absorbant paper felt.
        > That all goes in a ziplock.
        > Put that in another capped plastic container.
        > Put that in a baby document mailing cylinder.
        >
        > To get sample kits, just grab them on the web page.
        >
        > I think:
        > Oil in bigger container, wrapped in paper towel, in ziplock sandwich bag, in mailing tube...

        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype: jerrydurand