Re: Upper wheel bearing?

  • J.R. Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      John W
      I used to own a similar saw and after the same bearing failed, I
      replaced it with two automotive size alternator bearings (6203). The
      hub was bored to fit the bearings and a new shaft fabricated. That
      problem solved. The lower bearing was not much better so a new one was
      machined and installed along with an out side bearing and new shaft.
      The bearing was supported with a plate bolted to the frame casting to
      hold the bearing. I do not remember the bearing size. Both wheels
      were trued up in the lathe. I have since moved up to a larger unit
      and gave teh saw to an old friend and it is operational after about 15
      years service.

      JRW
    • JohnW
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
        JRW
        I'm not sure there is enough meat on the outboard end of the hub for a
        normal ball bearing like the 6203. On that end I can only go about
        30mm OD. I've foiund some slim ball bearings 28 mm OD but they are
        only 7 mm wide. I suppose I could put a 6203 on the inboard end and
        the slim one on the outboard. The inboard is in line with the blade
        sow it probably sees the most load and the outboard just stabalizes the
        hub.

        An alternative would be to use needle bearings but the ones I've found
        would ride on the existing shaft. I don't have any relevant experience
        with needle bearings so don't know if that is a good idea.

        Right now I need the saw and since it cleaned up OK I'll re assemble
        and make sure I oil the bushing regularly.

        I'm still surprised that it is a steel on steel bushing though. I've
        checked the bushing and it isn't hardened. Haven't checked the shaft
        yet.

        JohnW

        .--- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "J.R. Williams" <jrwillms@...>
        wrote:

        > John W
        > I used to own a similar saw and after the same bearing failed, I
        > replaced it with two automotive size alternator bearings (6203). The
        > hub was bored to fit the bearings and a new shaft fabricated. That
        > problem solved. The lower bearing was not much better so a new one was
        > machined and installed along with an out side bearing and new shaft.
        > The bearing was supported with a plate bolted to the frame casting to
        > hold the bearing. I do not remember the bearing size. Both wheels
        > were trued up in the lathe. I have since moved up to a larger unit
        > and gave teh saw to an old friend and it is operational after about 15
        > years service.
        >
        > JRW

      • Bill Pace
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
          I've got the Homier and indeed it does have just a steel bushing. I
          was aware of this prior to getting the saw and was a bit worried that
          I would have to do something about it, but as I've now had the saw
          about 2 years and since I put a drop of oil on it occasionally, it has
          never been a problem. Though at some point I would still like to get
          bearings in it.

          What size is your shaft, 17mm, --- since you mention the 6203? If I
          remember correctly, mine is 15mm and yeah, seems that about 28-30mm is
          all the room available on the hub .... I was thinking to use 2
          bearings also, but your point about the thinness of them might make it
          necessary to use different types.

          As for needles, the problem with them is that you still gotta get a
          drop of oil on them occasionally.

          Heres a site I get my bearings from... I was just strolling thru
          looking at whats available in 17mm----

          http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/15mm

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "JohnW" <johnwa@...> wrote:

          > JRW
          > I'm not sure there is enough meat on the outboard end of the hub for a
          > normal ball bearing like the 6203. On that end I can only go about
          > 30mm OD. I've foiund some slim ball bearings 28 mm OD but they are
          > only 7 mm wide. I suppose I could put a 6203 on the inboard end and
          > the slim one on the outboard. The inboard is in line with the blade
          > sow it probably sees the most load and the outboard just stabalizes the
          > hub.
          >
          > An alternative would be to use needle bearings but the ones I've found
          > would ride on the existing shaft. I don't have any relevant experience
          > with needle bearings so don't know if that is a good idea.
          >
          > Right now I need the saw and since it cleaned up OK I'll re assemble
          > and make sure I oil the bushing regularly.
          >
          > I'm still surprised that it is a steel on steel bushing though. I've
          > checked the bushing and it isn't hardened. Haven't checked the shaft
          > yet.
          >
          > JohnW
          >
          > .--- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "J.R. Williams" <jrwillms@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > John W
          > > I used to own a similar saw and after the same bearing failed, I
          > > replaced it with two automotive size alternator bearings (6203). The
          > > hub was bored to fit the bearings and a new shaft fabricated. That
          > > problem solved. The lower bearing was not much better so a new one was
          > > machined and installed along with an out side bearing and new shaft.
          > > The bearing was supported with a plate bolted to the frame casting to
          > > hold the bearing. I do not remember the bearing size. Both wheels
          > > were trued up in the lathe. I have since moved up to a larger unit
          > > and gave teh saw to an old friend and it is operational after about 15
          > > years service.
          > >
          > > JRW

        • JohnW
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
            Bill

            The shaft and calipers are in a very cold garage but I have the wheel
            beside me. Measured with a ruler I get a bore diameter of 15mm. The
            bearing number is what JRW gave.

            I didn't know about the bushing so didn't oil it. Fortunately
            nothing was damaged so I'll just have to remember to oil it
            occasionally.

            At some point I may put a 6202 (35 mm OD) or 6002 (OD 32 mm) on the
            inboard side and a 6902 (28 mm OD) on the outboard side.

            Thanks

            JohnW

            In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Pace" <pace8@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > John W
            > > > I used to own a similar saw and after the same bearing failed, I
            > > > replaced it with two automotive size alternator bearings
            (6203). The
            > > > hub was bored to fit the bearings and a new shaft fabricated.
            That
            > > > problem solved. The lower bearing was not much better so a new
            one was
            > > > machined and installed along with an out side bearing and new
            shaft.
            > > > The bearing was supported with a plate bolted to the frame
            casting to
            > > > hold the bearing. I do not remember the bearing size. Both
            wheels
            > > > were trued up in the lathe. I have since moved up to a larger
            unit
            > > > and gave teh saw to an old friend and it is operational after

          • arthurok
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
              use  oil  with teflon  it  it  "prevents galling"
> [...]

              > > > John W
              > > > I used to own a similar saw and after the same bearing failed, I
              > > > replaced it with two automotive size alternator bearings
              (6203). The
              > > > hub was bored to fit the bearings and a new shaft fabricated.
              That
              > > > problem solved. The lower bearing was not much better so a new
              one was
              > > > machined and installed along with an out side bearing and new
              shaft.
              > > > The bearing was supported with a plate bolted to the frame
              casting to
              > > > hold the bearing. I do not remember the bearing size. Both
              wheels
              > > > were trued up in the lathe. I have since moved up to a larger
              unit
              > > > and gave teh saw to an old friend and it is operational after

            • Andy Rhine
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                I had to replace the wheel and bushing in my clarke saw.  I didn't know about it until it was all worn out.

                the new one is coated with a generous amount of synthetic wheel bearing grease.  I thought of drilling it for a zerk.

                Andy

              • JohnW
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
                  I cleaned up the bushing and shaft, reassembled, lubricated etc.

                  Saw is now working fine. I just have to remember to lube once and a
                  while.

                  JohnW