new (used) central machinery bandsaw

  • john_c_1st
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
      Gentlemen:

      Thank you for allowing me to join the group. I very recently
      purchased a used saw and it seems to cut pretty well although it is
      out a bit vertically. It has the aluminium, outside blade guides so I
      expect I will have to shim them a bit. I also have a new bi metal
      blade with the saw.

      I went through it after buying it and ended up doing a few tune ups as
      follows:

      - change oil in the gear box.

      - flycut the bottoms of both vice jaws in my taig mill as they were
      not at all square with the jaw faces. The cast iron cut like butter
      and the end result is very accurate and clean.

      - I did find that the two holes in the upper casting, through which
      the axle (one that allows the top of the saw to hinge in relation to
      the bottom) were quite far out. I had to take it apart when I bought
      it (for transport) and when it went back together I was not impressed
      with the fit of this particular set of pieces. It works for now and I
      haven't come up with a good way to bore them out bigger so that they
      are in a straight line. Any ideas would be welcome. I did grease the
      axle where it fits through the castings to cut down on wear.

      - have put together a plywood base which will be painted and have
      wheels so that it moves easily.

      The various posts in the group were of great help to me in checking
      out the saw. Thank you for all your work.

      John.
    • Dom DiBello
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "john_c_1st" <jsuttie@...> wrote:

        > ....SNIP ....
        > - I did find that the two holes in the upper casting, through which
        > the axle (one that allows the top of the saw to hinge in relation to
        > the bottom) were quite far out. .... SNIP ...

        > haven't come up with a good way to bore them out bigger so that they
        > are in a straight line. Any ideas would be welcome.
        > John.

        I bored one of the "ears" large enough to make a bushing with the hole
        in the bushing offset to compensate the mis-alignment. It now cuts very
        straight vertically with a new properly tensioned blade.