Bandsaw mods

  • drmico60
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hi all,
      I have added some photos showing some improvements to my band saw.
      Look in photos under "Mike's bandsaw".
      The mods shown are:
      1. A hydraulic damper. This is very easily constructed using standard
      plumbing fittingd together with a piston and rod made on the lathe.
      The knurled adjuster at the top is connected to a needle valve that
      runs through the piston rod. The saw blade descent speed can be
      adjusted from zero to circa 300mm/sec using the needle valve. I have
      retained the counterbalance spring as well since I can then vary the
      load on the saw blade but this is not essential to the operation of
      the saw. The shelf has been strengthend by bolting a 1"x1"x1/8" angle
      to the inside of the shelf edge and a brace from the hydraulic
      cylinder attachment point to the saw casting. If anyone would like
      drawings of the hydraulic cylinder please contact me.
      2. A worklight. My bandsaw is located in a dimly lit part of the
      workshop and I have added a worklight directly above the cutting area.
      This was a cheap (£4.99 from Argos)low voltage desk lamp stripped
      down and the goose neck clamped to saw frame. The transformer from
      the lamp was housed in a metal box below the saw. This is just
      visible in the first photo showing the damper. Also of note in the
      worklight photo is the plywood panel bolted to the legs below the
      cutting area. This ensures that all the metal dust falls into a bowl
      below the saw rather than filling up the shelf mounted between the
      legs!
      3. A saw table. The saw table is basically a 150mmX150mmX6mm piece of
      steel plate. This differs from other designs in that it is hinged and
      can be flipped back when not in use. It is not then necessary to cut
      off the corner to allow the saw to be used in the horizontal mode.
      Also shown with the saw table is a fence that can be clamped to the
      table edges. This is designed much like an elongated toolmakers clamp.
      I hope these ideas are useful.
      Kind regards
      Mike Cox
      Kingsley,UK
    • Robert Willis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        Mike I would like to get those plans from you. The
        photos look great!

        Robert

        Bobby
      • Robert Willis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          Hey Mike how about plans for that flip up table?
          Robert

          Bobby
        • warren hughes
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            I too like the cylinder you made as well as the table. Warren Hughes

            --- drmico60 <mikey.cox@tiscali. co.uk> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I have added some photos showing some improvements
            > to my band saw.
            > Look in photos under "Mike's bandsaw".
            > The mods shown are:
            > 1. A hydraulic damper. This is very easily
            > constructed using standard
            > plumbing fittingd together with a piston and rod
            > made on the lathe.
            > The knurled adjuster at the top is connected to a
            > needle valve that
            > runs through the piston rod. The saw blade descent
            > speed can be
            > adjusted from zero to circa 300mm/sec using the
            > needle valve. I have
            > retained the counterbalance spring as well since I
            > can then vary the
            > load on the saw blade but this is not essential to
            > the operation of
            > the saw. The shelf has been strengthend by bolting a
            > 1"x1"x1/8" angle
            > to the inside of the shelf edge and a brace from the
            > hydraulic
            > cylinder attachment point to the saw casting. If
            > anyone would like
            > drawings of the hydraulic cylinder please contact
            > me.
            > 2. A worklight. My bandsaw is located in a dimly lit
            > part of the
            > workshop and I have added a worklight directly above
            > the cutting area.
            > This was a cheap (£4.99 from Argos)low voltage desk
            > lamp stripped
            > down and the goose neck clamped to saw frame. The
            > transformer from
            > the lamp was housed in a metal box below the saw.
            > This is just
            > visible in the first photo showing the damper. Also
            > of note in the
            > worklight photo is the plywood panel bolted to the
            > legs below the
            > cutting area. This ensures that all the metal dust
            > falls into a bowl
            > below the saw rather than filling up the shelf
            > mounted between the
            > legs!
            > 3. A saw table. The saw table is basically a
            > 150mmX150mmX6mm piece of
            > steel plate. This differs from other designs in that
            > it is hinged and
            > can be flipped back when not in use. It is not then
            > necessary to cut
            > off the corner to allow the saw to be used in the
            > horizontal mode.
            > Also shown with the saw table is a fence that can be
            > clamped to the
            > table edges. This is designed much like an elongated
            > toolmakers clamp.
            > I hope these ideas are useful.
            > Kind regards
            > Mike Cox
            > Kingsley,UK

            Bobby

          • drmico60
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              Hi Robert,
              I am finalising the drawing and hopefully will send them in the next
              day or so.
              Kind regards
              Mike
              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Robert Willis <revo21@...> wrote:

              > Mike I would like to get those plans from you. The
              > photos look great!
              >
              > Robert
              > --- drmico60 <mikey.cox@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi all,
              > > I have added some photos showing some improvements
              > > to my band saw.
              > > Look in photos under "Mike's bandsaw".
              > > The mods shown are:
              > > 1. A hydraulic damper. This is very easily
              > > constructed using standard
              > > plumbing fittingd together with a piston and rod
              > > made on the lathe.
              > > The knurled adjuster at the top is connected to a
              > > needle valve that
              > > runs through the piston rod. The saw blade descent
              > > speed can be
              > > adjusted from zero to circa 300mm/sec using the
              > > needle valve. I have
              > > retained the counterbalance spring as well since I
              > > can then vary the
              > > load on the saw blade but this is not essential to
              > > the operation of
              > > the saw. The shelf has been strengthend by bolting a
              > > 1"x1"x1/8" angle
              > > to the inside of the shelf edge and a brace from the
              > > hydraulic
              > > cylinder attachment point to the saw casting. If
              > > anyone would like
              > > drawings of the hydraulic cylinder please contact
              > > me.
              > > 2. A worklight. My bandsaw is located in a dimly lit
              > > part of the
              > > workshop and I have added a worklight directly above
              > > the cutting area.
              > > This was a cheap (£4.99 from Argos)low voltage desk
              > > lamp stripped
              > > down and the goose neck clamped to saw frame. The
              > > transformer from
              > > the lamp was housed in a metal box below the saw.
              > > This is just
              > > visible in the first photo showing the damper. Also
              > > of note in the
              > > worklight photo is the plywood panel bolted to the
              > > legs below the
              > > cutting area. This ensures that all the metal dust
              > > falls into a bowl
              > > below the saw rather than filling up the shelf
              > > mounted between the
              > > legs!
              > > 3. A saw table. The saw table is basically a
              > > 150mmX150mmX6mm piece of
              > > steel plate. This differs from other designs in that
              > > it is hinged and
              > > can be flipped back when not in use. It is not then
              > > necessary to cut
              > > off the corner to allow the saw to be used in the
              > > horizontal mode.
              > > Also shown with the saw table is a fence that can be
              > > clamped to the
              > > table edges. This is designed much like an elongated
              > > toolmakers clamp.
              > > I hope these ideas are useful.
              > > Kind regards
              > > Mike Cox
              > > Kingsley,UK
              > >

              > Bobby

            • oneacmename
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                Very nice mods, looking forward to the plans :)

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "drmico60" <mikey.cox@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I have added some photos showing some improvements to my band saw.
                > Look in photos under "Mike's bandsaw".
                > The mods shown are:
                > 1. A hydraulic damper. This is very easily constructed using
                standard
                > plumbing fittingd together with a piston and rod made on the lathe.
                > The knurled adjuster at the top is connected to a needle valve that
                > runs through the piston rod. The saw blade descent speed can be
                > adjusted from zero to circa 300mm/sec using the needle valve. I
                have
                > retained the counterbalance spring as well since I can then vary
                the
                > load on the saw blade but this is not essential to the operation of
                > the saw. The shelf has been strengthend by bolting a 1"x1"x1/8"
                angle
                > to the inside of the shelf edge and a brace from the hydraulic
                > cylinder attachment point to the saw casting. If anyone would like
                > drawings of the hydraulic cylinder please contact me.
                > 2. A worklight. My bandsaw is located in a dimly lit part of the
                > workshop and I have added a worklight directly above the cutting
                area.
                > This was a cheap (£4.99 from Argos)low voltage desk lamp stripped
                > down and the goose neck clamped to saw frame. The transformer from
                > the lamp was housed in a metal box below the saw. This is just
                > visible in the first photo showing the damper. Also of note in the
                > worklight photo is the plywood panel bolted to the legs below the
                > cutting area. This ensures that all the metal dust falls into a
                bowl
                > below the saw rather than filling up the shelf mounted between the
                > legs!
                > 3. A saw table. The saw table is basically a 150mmX150mmX6mm piece
                of
                > steel plate. This differs from other designs in that it is hinged
                and
                > can be flipped back when not in use. It is not then necessary to
                cut
                > off the corner to allow the saw to be used in the horizontal mode.
                > Also shown with the saw table is a fence that can be clamped to the
                > table edges. This is designed much like an elongated toolmakers
                clamp.
                > I hope these ideas are useful.
                > Kind regards
                > Mike Cox
                > Kingsley,UK

              • tuffree
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                  --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "drmico60" <mikey.cox@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  > I have added some photos showing some improvements to my band saw.
                  > Look in photos under "Mike's bandsaw".
                  > The mods shown are:
                  > 1. A hydraulic damper. This is very easily constructed using
                  standard
                  > plumbing fittingd together with a piston and rod made on the lathe.
                  > The knurled adjuster at the top is connected to a needle valve that
                  > runs through the piston rod. The saw blade descent speed can be
                  > adjusted from zero to circa 300mm/sec using the needle valve. I
                  have
                  > retained the counterbalance spring as well since I can then vary
                  the
                  > load on the saw blade but this is not essential to the operation of
                  > the saw. The shelf has been strengthend by bolting a 1"x1"x1/8"
                  angle
                  > to the inside of the shelf edge and a brace from the hydraulic
                  > cylinder attachment point to the saw casting. If anyone would like
                  > drawings of the hydraulic cylinder please contact me.
                  > Kind regards
                  > Mike Cox
                  > Kingsley,UK

                  Mike - That's a nice design of a cylinder.

                  I'd like to receive a copy of the drawings if it is not too much
                  bother.
                  Thank you,
                  Rick B.
                  tuffree@...
                • Barry Hitchen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Hi Mike, I would like a drawing of your hydralic cylinder mod.
                    I have the same bandsaw and looked at the MEW article but thought it
                    was too complex.
                    Barry
                  • drmico60
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Dear Barry,
                      Please see the updated drawing in the files section.
                      Kind regards
                      Mike
                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Hitchen" <barry.hitchen@...>