cutting tips

  • sned1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 11:33 AM
      Does any one on this list use cutting fluid when cutting steel with
      your bandsaw? If so, what do you use, or recommend for it? I'll be
      cutting some bar stock soon and was curious what folks were doing
      when they cut it. Thanks.
    • snookjr70546
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1 4:37 PM
        snedi, I have used WD40, LPS,kerosine, I have mine set up with
        a pump, a large canister fuel filter, settleing bowl before the
        filter, using the karosine now, I am about ready to take all that
        off, I find it to messy, Joe Guidry

        --- In 4x6bandsaw@y..., "sned1" <sned1@y...> wrote:
        > Does any one on this list use cutting fluid when cutting steel with
        > your bandsaw? If so, what do you use, or recommend for it? I'll
        be
        > cutting some bar stock soon and was curious what folks were doing
        > when they cut it. Thanks.
      • resigler13
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1 8:09 PM
          I never use any type of cutting or cooling fluid on mine. I
          regularly cut through 3.5" 1018 cold rolled steel rounds dry and
          have had no problems. I use the middle speed setting and a 14 tpi
          blade. I have cut 1018 dry for 1.5 hours straight with no problems.

          Robert

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@y..., "sned1" <sned1@y...> wrote:
          > Does any one on this list use cutting fluid when cutting steel
          with
          > your bandsaw? If so, what do you use, or recommend for it? I'll
          be
          > cutting some bar stock soon and was curious what folks were doing
          > when they cut it. Thanks.
        • snookjr70546
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2 7:13 PM
            Robert, dry cutting is sure cleaner than liquid, I got the Starret
            blade they last real good, my motor burnt the second time I used it,
            put a flea market motor and run it with one pulley only, they might
            not be the top of the line but they beat a hacksaw, Joe G.

          • dswr@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3 5:23 AM
              I cut most brass and aluminum dry. However, if the cut will be a large
              one where heat will be of a concern, I lubricate the blade with paraffin
              wax. This collects on the workpiece at the cut site.. If the heat gets
              intense, it melts and lubricates the blade.

              On steel, I usually use a cutting oil.

              Leo (pearland, texas)