'New' Jet 4x6 Saw with Angle Adjustment

  • Mark Kilgore
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4 1:33 PM
      Howdy, All, just finished reading all old posts and downloading the wealth of files and
      photos. Thanks for a great resource.

      I had just bought a Jet 4x6 from my local tool shop, when I started reading here about the
      Homier/Grizzly angle-adjust version, which I would have preferred. No Homier in this part
      of Texas, to my knowledge, Griz shipping a big bite, but much better tech support. I liked
      that I could download PDFs of all Grizzly manuals. A noteworthy feature of this saw is that
      the vise is designed to be adjustable for squareness to the blade. And, the hydraulic feed
      limiter is OEM. I've just retired and I'm bringing my shop out of it's long dormancy. Even
      so, I do not want to spend lots of time tuning tools. Just my style at this stage.

      I decided to got for it, took my still-boxed saw back and asked to be convinced not to
      return it in favor of a Grizzly (known this feller for many years). He says he can get the
      same in a Jet, which my web research said didn't exist. That is likely due to Jet's having
      been put under the WMH umbrella. Fact is, it does exist, and is on sale now for $529, with
      no shipping charges to my dealer (because he orders stock regularly). With local tax, the
      total is nearly the same as a Griz saw, but I get my local buddy to deal with, who says his
      experience with Jet's product support is tops. Dunno, but I trust him, and we'll see. If he's
      wrong, he'll back up his sale with his own guarantee. For me, that alone makes dealing
      with him a good investment. He took the old saw back, I ordered the new saw and bought
      several German bimetal blades and a stick of saw lube.

      I'll be sawin' soon, Dudes!

      Mark
    • Glenn N
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 11:44 AM
        FWIW I think you made the right choice :) I always prefer to deal with local shops if they can be competitive. It's also good to know a handshake still means something :)
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mark Kilgore
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 2:14 PM
          Thanks, Glenn. I value that part of the experience pretty highly.

          I'm on the road now, traveling to side my daughter on the way home from college. Hope that
          saw is there to meet me when I get back. First job is to profile the ends of some heavy steel
          bars to make a leveling mount for the small mill, to sit on my sloping garage shop floor.

          Second job will be to report here how the beastie performs.

          Later, Y'all
          Mark

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn N" <sleykin@...> wrote:

          > FWIW I think you made the right choice :) I always prefer to deal with local shops if they
          can be competitive. It's also good to know a handshake still means something :)
        • Bill Pace
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5 2:56 PM
            Mark,
            I wasnt aware that Jet had the 'swivel' saw either, only the Grizz and
            Homier. To bad you couldnt have caught one of the 'traveling tent
            shows' of Homiers and got one of theirs for $199, But youve got a lot
            going by getting it the way you are though......

            I thought I would let you know about my experience with the Homier
            version, --- All GOOD!! I have had one of the little 4x6's for years,
            really just about wore the thing out, and just loved it. But it had
            got a bit ornery with all the wear on it, so when the 'tent show' came
            thru and I saw the swivel for that price, I jumped on it, though I
            really didnt know much about it at the time. I,ve had it now for bout
            a year and a half and really like it. I rarely use the swivel part and
            just use it as a conventional saw,--- I think it is beefier? than the
            4x6, and the hyd feed system is SUCH a bonus. I found the stand --
            though much better than the 4x6's -- to still be lacking,-- no
            storage!!, and I made another, to raise it a couple inches and to get
            some places to put the (some of) never ending 'cut offs'. Had to
            replace the joke of a motor, rated at 1hp!! HAH!! That'll probably be
            one place the extra money for the Jet will pay off, the motor will
            probably be a good one.

            Hope you like it as well as I like mine........

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Kilgore" <mhkilgore@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Glenn. I value that part of the experience pretty highly.
            >
            > I'm on the road now, traveling to side my daughter on the way home
            from college. Hope that
            > saw is there to meet me when I get back. First job is to profile the
            ends of some heavy steel
            > bars to make a leveling mount for the small mill, to sit on my
            sloping garage shop floor.

            > Second job will be to report here how the beastie performs.
            >
            > Later, Y'all
            > Mark

          • Mark Kilgore
            Message 5 of 11 , May 9 5:24 PM
              Hey, Bill, thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear of your good
              experience. Y'all's reports of occasional motor troubles helped
              me decide on the Jet. I liked the oem feed system, too (though
              I haven't used it yet - haven't even seen it; just got back at 0330
              last night).

              Because of space limitations, I'll have to store the saw under a
              steel bench, so a shorter base will have to be made. With all the
              time in the world, I'd try a scissor lift design. As it is, it'll probably
              be 2x4s on wheels. I'm not yet a welder, either.

              Later, Mark

              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Pace" <pace8@...> wrote:

              > Mark,
              > I wasnt aware that Jet had the 'swivel' saw either, only the Grizz and
              > Homier. To bad you couldnt have caught one of the 'traveling tent
              > shows' of Homiers and got one of theirs for $199, But youve got a lot
              > going by getting it the way you are though......
              >
              > I thought I would let you know about my experience with the Homier
              > version, --- All GOOD!! I have had one of the little 4x6's for years,
              > really just about wore the thing out, and just loved it. But it had
              > got a bit ornery with all the wear on it, so when the 'tent show' came
              > thru and I saw the swivel for that price, I jumped on it, though I
              > really didnt know much about it at the time. I,ve had it now for bout
              > a year and a half and really like it. I rarely use the swivel part and
              > just use it as a conventional saw,--- I think it is beefier? than the
              > 4x6, and the hyd feed system is SUCH a bonus. I found the stand --
              > though much better than the 4x6's -- to still be lacking,-- no
              > storage!!, and I made another, to raise it a couple inches and to get
              > some places to put the (some of) never ending 'cut offs'. Had to
              > replace the joke of a motor, rated at 1hp!! HAH!! That'll probably be
              > one place the extra money for the Jet will pay off, the motor will
              > probably be a good one.
              >
              > Hope you like it as well as I like mine........
            • chris111148198
              Message 6 of 11 , May 9 6:29 PM
                wrote:

                > Hey, Bill, thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear of your good
                > experience. Y'all's reports of occasional motor troubles helped
                > me decide on the Jet. I liked the oem feed system, too (though
                > I haven't used it yet - haven't even seen it; just got back at 0330
                > last night).
                >
                > Because of space limitations, I'll have to store the saw under a
                > steel bench, so a shorter base will have to be made. With all the
                > time in the world, I'd try a scissor lift design. As it is, it'll
                probably
                > be 2x4s on wheels. I'm not yet a welder, either.
                >
                > Later, Mark
                >

                > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Pace" <pace8@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Mark,
                > > I wasnt aware that Jet had the 'swivel' saw either, only the
                Grizz and
                > > Homier. To bad you couldnt have caught one of the 'traveling tent
                > > shows' of Homiers and got one of theirs for $199, But youve got
                a lot
                > > going by getting it the way you are though......
                > >
                > > I thought I would let you know about my experience with the
                Homier
                > > version, --- All GOOD!! I have had one of the little 4x6's for
                years,
                > > really just about wore the thing out, and just loved it. But it
                had
                > > got a bit ornery with all the wear on it, so when the 'tent
                show' came
                > > thru and I saw the swivel for that price, I jumped on it, though
                > > really didnt know much about it at the time. I,ve had it now for
                bout
                > > a year and a half and really like it. I rarely use the swivel
                part and
                > > just use it as a conventional saw,--- I think it is beefier?
                than the
                > > 4x6, and the hyd feed system is SUCH a bonus. I found the stand -
                -
                > > though much better than the 4x6's -- to still be lacking,-- no
                > > storage!!, and I made another, to raise it a couple inches and
                to get
                > > some places to put the (some of) never ending 'cut offs'. Had to
                > > replace the joke of a motor, rated at 1hp!! HAH!! That'll
                probably be
                > > one place the extra money for the Jet will pay off, the motor
                will
                > > probably be a good one.
                > >
                > > Hope you like it as well as I like mine........

                Try hingeing under the bench so thst it will swing out when
                needed. Chris
              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , May 9 6:32 PM
                  Mark Kilgore <mhkilgore@...> wrote:

                    (SNIP)

                  I'm not yet a welder, either.

                    Work on that - it's fun and profitable!

                  For artists, please visit ArtVillage-subscribe@yahoogroups.com - not a rip off!

                  "What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.

                  in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
                  to find your fit.

                • SupportOurTroops - Skip
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 10 8:47 AM
                    From my experience, Jet is a much better brand and worth the
                    extra bucks. Better and cleaner castings, more attention to
                    detail, no metal chips or sludge in the oil, et. I don't know about
                    the new angle model but previous Jet tools were made in Taiwan,
                    not China, and were much better quality. Jet is an old line Japan
                    name and they seem to be still proud of it.

                    As for a stand, just because you can't weld doesn't mean you
                    can't use metal. Just bore holes and put bolts in the joints. It
                    isn't that much more difficult than using wood and you will be
                    much happier with it. You can always weld the joints in the
                    future when you get into welding. And as for welding, you can
                    pick up a used wire welder at a pawn shop for 100.00 or less.
                    The learning curve for wire welding cut years to minutes.
                    When I bought my first one I had been trying to weld with a
                    stick welder for many years and it still looked like a bad dream.
                    After 20 minutes with the wire welder (and no training) I was
                    laying much better beads than with the stick welder. Try it,
                    you'll like it.

                    Skip Campbell

                    > ________________
                    >
                    > 1a. Re: 'New' Jet 4x6 Saw with Angle Adjustment
                    > Posted by: "Mark Kilgore" mhkilgore@... chipswarf
                    > Date: Wed May 9, 2007 5:25 pm ((PDT))
                    >
                    > Hey, Bill, thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear of your good
                    > experience. Y'all's reports of occasional motor troubles helped
                    > me decide on the Jet. I liked the oem feed system, too (though
                    > I haven't used it yet - haven't even seen it; just got back at 0330
                    > last night).
                    >
                    > Because of space limitations, I'll have to store the saw under a
                    > steel bench, so a shorter base will have to be made. With all the
                    > time in the world, I'd try a scissor lift design. As it is, it'll probably
                    > be 2x4s on wheels. I'm not yet a welder, either.
                    >
                    > Later, Mark
                  • Mark Kilgore
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 11 3:45 PM
                      That's a cool idea, Chris, thanks. I've seen that sort of mounting on Chris Heapy's old site, it's
                      one of my options.

                      Mark

                      > Try hingeing under the bench so thst it will swing out when
                      > needed. Chris

                    • Mark Kilgore
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 11 3:47 PM
                        Wilco, David, there are courses at a local community college in my future. It's an old
                        ambition.

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 11 3:54 PM
                          Thanks for the ideas, Skip. My 2x4 idea is about 'time and motion' - got little time and I'm
                          always in motion. Version 2 will be a project from a future welding class.

                          I second your Jet judgment, too. My dealer says that many (HF, Homier, in particular)
                          outfits simply go to China and buy whatever is cheapest. Jet insists on their own prints
                          being followed, to provide parts accountablility. Hope it's true, 'cause that's what I spent
                          money for.

                          Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback. Sorry to take so long to get back, been out of town
                          bringing a college kid home.

                          Later, Mark