New Years Resolution enacted!

  • John R. Page
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
      After pouring over the wisdom of this very helpful forum, and viewing
      the local Harbor Freight unit plus Frank Hoose's melt-down motor,
      I have ordered Grizzly's G1010 out of Bellingham, WA. It's due in my
      driveway Tuesday, Jan 5th. Who_uah!

      Various workbooks of mods and tips from [4x6Bandsaw] are printed out,
      punched, and waiting as a substantial collection of pages in a loose-
      leaf binder. Thank you all for your generous and able assistance.

      Come on over and visit with our [9x20Lathe] YahooGroup sometime. At
      least one individual rated us the best forum on Yahoo. I'd say
      [4x6Bandsaw] also scores very high in the 'real help' vs. 'noise'
      categories. Again, thanks a bunch.

      JRP
      Medford, Oregon
    • Jim E.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
        Does anyone know of a business in the Los Angeles, CA area that will
        re-weld a broken bandsaw blade?

        Graciously,
        Jim
        Lakewood, CA
        All Hail Rube Goldberg!
      • catboat15@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
          In a message dated 1/5/2004 9:14:47 AM Pacific Standard Time, jim0000@... writes:
          Does anyone know of a business in the Los Angeles, CA area that will
          re-weld a broken bandsaw blade?
          Almost any shop with a larger bandsaw can do that for you. Better quality bandsaws usually come with a built in blade welder. Also, I have not tried it yet, but for my wood bandsaw I silver solder or braze my blades. There are kits available for doing this job with guides for scarfing the ends, clamps to hold the blade ends together and in alignment and even include the silver brazing material. (I made my own fixture for the wood blades)

          John Meacham
          In the high desert of California
          12 X 48 Craftsman lathe
          Mini mill
          rusty file
        • Jim E.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
            I've heard of the latter. Are you talking about using one of those MAPP
            gas outfits?

            Graciously,
            Jim
            Lakewood, CA
            All Hail Rube Goldberg!

          • catboat15@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
              In a message dated 1/5/2004 3:25:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, jim0000@... writes:
              I've heard of the latter.  Are you talking about using one of those MAPP
              gas outfits?
              You can silver braze using the ordinary hardware store butane torch. I have a MAPP torch also but reserve that for larger jobs like copper boilers where the work conducts a lot of the heat away from the job.

            • dswr@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
                For a good article on bandsaw blade brazing, go to:

                http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/dec03/dec03.html

                Scroll down to the article by J.R.Williams "Band Saw Blade Brazing".

                This describes the "how to" very well.

                Leo (pearland, tx)
              • Jim E.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
                  Yeah, I saw that. Still trying to find a car I can steal old U-joint
                  rollers from, for use as guide pins..@;-)

                  Graciously,
                  Jim
                  Lakewood, CA
                  All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                  dswr@... wrote:
                  > For a good article on bandsaw blade brazing, go to:
                  >
                  > http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/dec03/dec03.html
                  >
                  > Scroll down to the article by J.R.Williams "Band Saw Blade Brazing".
                  >
                  > This describes the "how to" very well.
                  >
                  > Leo (pearland, tx)
                • bkfan2001
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2004
                    Hi Jim,

                    Hey, check out the site listed below for a good, simple and easy way
                    to fix them yourself.

                    http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shoptips.html

                    Will work out good if you don't have anyone to do them for you.

                    Hope this helps!!

                    Regards

                    BK

                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Jim E." <jim0000@a...> wrote:
                    > Does anyone know of a business in the Los Angeles, CA area that
                    will
                    > re-weld a broken bandsaw blade?
                    >

                    > Graciously,
                    > Jim
                    > Lakewood, CA
                    > All Hail Rube Goldberg!
                  • Jim E.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2004
                      Thanks - will give it a try. Both this and another site imply a MAPP
                      setup will be sufficient. I'll definitely be finding out.

                      Graciously,
                      Jim
                      Lakewood, CA
                      All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                      bkfan2001 wrote:

                      > Hi Jim,
                      >
                      > Hey, check out the site listed below for a good, simple and easy way
                      > to fix them yourself.
                      >

                      > http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shoptips.html
                      >

                      > Will work out good if you don't have anyone to do them for you.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps!!
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > BK
                      >

                      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Jim E." <jim0000@a...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>Does anyone know of a business in the Los Angeles, CA area that
                      >
                      > will
                      >
                      >>re-weld a broken bandsaw blade?
                      >>

                      >> Graciously,
                      >> Jim
                      >> Lakewood, CA
                      >> All Hail Rube Goldberg!
                    • bkfan2001
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 12, 2004
                        Hi Jim,

                        Glad to be of help. Keep us posted as to how your blade turns out.

                        Regards

                        BK
                      • Steve Hebert
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 12, 2004
                          Hi Jim,
                          Woodworkers use this technique as most of our saws dont have blade
                          welders. As brazing eqpt is scarce in woodshops, most silver solder
                          the blades. Very strong and much less heat. Good fit is important.
                          The standard jig is a piece of angle iron with a cutout.

                          thanks to everyone for the encouragement as I get started.
                          Steve