HF 4X6 Motor

  • cleantarget10x
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi All; Yesterday the motor on my HF 4X6 stopped in the middle of a
      cut and started smoking. I assume it's toast, so are there any
      recommendations for a motor to replace it. TIA
    • Bill Pace
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
        Its a common size/configuration....I got one of HF's $49 1/2hp. Be
        SURE and check yours for rotation, I think they all are CCW
        (counterclockwise) ----- Dont ask how I found THAT out!!

        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "cleantarget10x" <toyotaroddy@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All; Yesterday the motor on my HF 4X6 stopped in the middle of a
        > cut and started smoking. I assume it's toast, so are there any
        > recommendations for a motor to replace it. TIA

      • david_s_14850
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
          wrote:

          > Hi All; Yesterday the motor on my HF 4X6 stopped in the middle of a
          > cut and started smoking.

          (snip)

          Probably is - but any replacement used American motor will be
          better. Look for one with a detailed lable.
        • Trost Carl
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
            I have a couple of new OEM 4x6 motors sitting in my shop. Contact me off line if you would be interested in one.

            Carl

            wrote:

            > Hi All; Yesterday the motor on my HF 4X6 stopped in the middle of a
            > cut and started smoking.

            (snip)

            Probably is - but any replacement used American motor will be
            better. Look for one with a detailed lable.

          • JcBj
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
              > Hi All; Yesterday the motor on my HF 4X6 stopped in the middle of a
              > cut and started smoking. I assume it's toast, so are there any
              > recommendations for a motor to replace it. TIA

              For starters, you're going to need one very large hamster cage...

              j/k. ;-)

              I know that lots of people have swapped out their stock motors for
              better sized (and better built and rated) new ones, and a few people
              have even used motors out of other machines that were of equal rating.

              But has anyone thought about using a motor out of a dishwasher or
              clothes washing machine?
              (electric dryers are probably an even better choice, but usually run on
              240v, and probably can't be rewired for 120v)
              I don't know what size these things typically have in them, but I'm
              betting somebody uses one that is large enough to run the saw.

              The reason I'm wondering about 'house-hold appliance' type motors is
              because of the usual abundance of these things on almost any unpopulated
              dead-end street, (or quite a number of populated streets, on the wrong
              side of town) - which would make it a free motor for the taking.

              Built an automated solar panel hot-water system once using salvaged
              washing-machine water valves, saved a huge chunk on valve expenses.

              Just curious.
              James.
            • miker557
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
                I believe it is a standard NEMA-48 frame, 1750 RPM motor. The shaft
                diameter and direction of rotation are the primary considerations
                afte that, then the horsepower - 1/2 minimum, 3/4 would work, 1 HP
                would be more than enough. It doesn't really make any sense to
                replace the motor with a 220 volt one, unless that is all you have in
                your shop. Dayton makes a good motor, Baldour better. Lots of 'em on
                Ebay ....

                Miker

                wrote:

                > Hi All; Yesterday the motor on my HF 4X6 stopped in the middle of
                > cut and started smoking. I assume it's toast, so are there any
                > recommendations for a motor to replace it. TIA

              • Roy
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
                  Washing machine motors are not usually sealed up well against sawdust,
                  metal shavings and what all, but they're typically good 1750 RPM motors.
                  Almost always motor in a discarded machine is still good, but sometimes
                  getting the wiring right is the hardest part.
                  Dryers in my experience tend to use even more open-frame motors, though
                  I'm not sure why. I don't like them as much.