Re: Shop-Vac

  • Steve Claggett
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 7, 2006
      I followed your lead. Separator plate/bucket, 6.5hp shop vac w/ 2.5
      hose. The swarf stayed in the bucket, sawdust too. I like it. 90%
      easier cleanup. Thanks for the great tip.

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "daddyo217" <daddyo217@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > when milling or turning, although I usually don't take the time for
      > that setup so far (See Grizzly dust collection part starting on page
      > 143 of the 2006 catalog). BTW - for convenience I have the 5 gallon
      > bucket/separator bungied to a small 4 wheel dolly for portablity.
      >
      > This setup works great for me! It collects the large chips, swarf
      > (metal chip and oil mix) and it makes it easier on my Shop-Vac by
      > keeping the collection bag and filter dry and not pierced by sharp
      > metal. When the 5 gallon bucket is full, simply empty it, and clean
      > it with a grease cutter (Simple Green or whatever you like) and all
      > stays pretty clean; most of all, the shop stays clean.
      >
      > Anyone else doing this or using the larger cyclone separator that
      > fits over the trash can?
      >
      > Daddyo
      > P.S. I have no affiliation with any of the above companies - just a
      > satisfied customer.
      >
      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "dnaman43" <oftenbark@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hope this isn't too off-topic ...
      > >
      > > I have a small metal shop (mini-lathe, micro-mill, drill, 4x6
      > bandsaw
      > > etc). Also have some woodworking tools (tablesaw, router, small
      > > woodlathe etc). I've "plumbed" the shop into the house central
      > vacuum
      > > system with numerous, convenient outlets and also enclosed the
      > table-
      > > saw base with a flexible connection to that.
      > >
      > > Unfortunately, none of this works that well because the house
      > vacuum
      > > really isn't up to the job. Particularly on the tablesaw
      > connection -
      > > it still sprays sawdust all over the back basement. I don't want to
      > > get into one of the expensive dust collection systems, so ... I've
      > > been looking at getting a shop-vac. I'd use it as a standalone
      > > probably for most things and it should be easy enough to hook up to
      > > the tablesaw connection too I expect.
      > >
      > > When I look at these things in the store or on websites there's
      > quite
      > > a range of capacities and powers but very little guidance on which
      > > model(s) would be appropriate for a particular application. I need
      > > something that will give me a good flow through the tablesaw and
      > grab
      > > that sawdust. It also needs to be able to pick up metal swarf from
      > > the machines without difficulty.
      > >
      > > I could just go for a high power, high capacity model but there are
      > > few downsides to that:
      > >
      > > - cost (obviously)
      > > - noise
      > > - power consumption ... some of the biggest models take well over
      > > 10A. Since it's likely to have to run off the same outlet as the
      > > tablesaw that might be problematic.
      > > - storage space, weight etc
      > >
      > > I'm hoping that some of the people here are in a similar situation,
      > > have already gone this route and can give me some advice.
      > >
      > > Or, if you know of a more appropriate place to post, please let me

    • Michael A Hill
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 12, 2006
        Debris (large sawdust,planer chips, metal filings , paper, rags, ect) and fine dust (sanders, ect) are two different things. Any shop vac will pick up debris. Some more effective than a dust collector. What they don't get rid of are the fine particles that cause health isseus. That is what a dust collector does. If you are trying to clean the floor use a shop vac. If you are trying to clean the air use a dust collector. I cheat sometimes and use my dust collector to clean the floor , but that is just me.
        Mike

        n5kzw <n5kzw@...> wrote:
        If you look at the theory of operation and the construction techniques
        for Bill's dust separators, it is obvious that the simple trash can
        lids sold by Grizzly or Woodcraft are not going to be anywhere as
        efficient. Is there anyone here that has used both types of "cyclone
        separators" and can comment on the differences in efficiency of
        collecting debris.

        Thanks,
        Ed