Saw drive wheels

  • deles136
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
      I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted maroon so I
      thought it was a good one. I was installing the new 10-14 blade I got
      and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that the two wheels
      that the blade rides on are not rubber covered. They appear to be just
      plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the blade wheels ? The
      teeth of the blade are partly on the wheel when adjusted right so they
      may suffer some damage from just turning. I might just trim down the
      thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in the clear.

      Steve DeMerell
    • Allen Sparks
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
        Saw has cast iron wheels, teeth should be just off the
        edge of the wheel.

        --- deles136 <deles138@...> wrote:

        > I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted
        > maroon so I
        > thought it was a good one. I was installing the new
        > 10-14 blade I got
        > and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that
        > the two wheels
        > that the blade rides on are not rubber covered. They
        > appear to be just
        > plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the
        > blade wheels ? The
        > teeth of the blade are partly on the wheel when
        > adjusted right so they
        > may suffer some damage from just turning. I might
        > just trim down the
        > thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in
        > the clear.
        >
        > Steve DeMerell

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Glenn N
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
          They have no tires on them. I used a file and dressed the edge of the wheels so if they moved back on the wheel they would not upset the rake in the teeth. I did it with the saw under power and just carefully got in there with a file on the outer edges. The ridge on the back is just sort of a safety feature to keep the blade from running off the back side. It really shouldn't run all the way back IMO.
          Glenn
          >I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted maroon so I
          > thought it was a good one. I was installing the new 10-14 blade I got
          > and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that the two wheels
          > that the blade rides on are not rubber covered. They appear to be just
          > plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the blade wheels ? The
          > teeth of the blade are partly on the wheel when adjusted right so they
          > may suffer some damage from just turning. I might just trim down the
          > thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in the clear.
          >
          > Steve DeMerell
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ed Beers
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
            On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 01:49 +0000, deles136 wrote:
            > I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted maroon so I
            > thought it was a good one. I was installing the new 10-14 blade I got
            > and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that the two wheels
            > that the blade rides on are not rubber covered.
            > They appear to be just
            > plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the blade wheels ?

            No. Metal cutting bandsaws do not use rubber tires. Chips would get
            embedded in the rubber.

            > The
            > teeth of the blade are partly on the wheel when adjusted right so
            > they
            > may suffer some damage from just turning. I might just trim down the
            > thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in the clear.

            The teeth should already be far enough off the edge that the set is not
            effected.

            >From your description, there is probably nothing wrong with your saw.
            I would not make any modifications unless you actually experience
            blade damage.

            --
            Ed Beers <sreeb@...>
          • Edward ward
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
              you wouldnt want rubber tires in a metal cutting bandsaw.It would cause metal paticles to stick and cause the blade to slip.

              Glenn N <sleykin@...> wrote:
              They have no tires on them. I used a file and dressed the edge of the wheels so if they moved back on the wheel they would not upset the rake in the teeth. I did it with the saw under power and just carefully got in there with a file on the outer edges. The ridge on the back is just sort of a safety feature to keep the blade from running off the back side. It really shouldn't run all the way back IMO.
              Glenn
              >I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted maroon so I
              > thought it was a good one. I was installing the new 10-14 blade I got
              > and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that the two wheels
              > that the blade rides on are not rubber covered. They appear to be just
              > plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the blade wheels ? The
              > teeth of the blade are partly on the wheel when adjusted right so they
              > may suffer some damage from just turning. I might just trim down the
              > thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in the clear.
              >
              > Steve DeMerell
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bill Pace
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                Your saw description sounds like it is exactly like it should
                be....I wouldnt mess with it unless you develop a problem.

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "deles136" <deles138@...> wrote:

                > I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted maroon so I
                > thought it was a good one. I was installing the new 10-14 blade I
                got
                > and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that the two
                wheels
                > that the blade rides on are not rubber covered. They appear to be
                just
                > plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the blade wheels ?
                The
                > teeth of the blade are partly on the wheel when adjusted right so
                they
                > may suffer some damage from just turning. I might just trim down
                the
                > thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in the clear.
                >
                > Steve DeMerell

              • vulcansh
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                  --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Ed Beers <sreeb@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 01:49 +0000, deles136 wrote:
                  > > I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted maroon so I
                  > > thought it was a good one. I was installing the new 10-14 blade I got
                  > > and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that the two wheels
                  > > that the blade rides on are not rubber covered.
                  > > They appear to be just
                  > > plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the blade wheels ?
                  >
                  > No. Metal cutting bandsaws do not use rubber tires. Chips would get
                  > embedded in the rubber.
                  >
                  > > The
                  > > teeth of the blade are partly on the wheel when adjusted right so
                  > > they
                  > > may suffer some damage from just turning. I might just trim down the
                  > > thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in the clear.
                  >
                  > The teeth should already be far enough off the edge that the set is not
                  > effected.
                  >
                  > >From your description, there is probably nothing wrong with your saw.
                  > I would not make any modifications unless you actually experience
                  > blade damage.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Ed Beers <sreeb@...>

                  Sorry, but I disagree slightly with Ed and others. I have a 20" Powermatic vertical metal
                  cutting bandsaw that has rubber tires and while a few chips stick, it is not a problem. With
                  a 3-4 hook tooth bi-metal blade, this saw will romp through 5" thick steel.

                  My 4x6 and 7x10 saws both have metal tires.

                  I agree fully that you should not make any modifications unless it is a clear problem.

                  Steve
                • Bill Pace
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                    "Sorry, but I disagree slightly with Ed and others. I have a 20"
                    Powermatic vertical metal
                    > cutting bandsaw that has rubber tires and while a few chips stick,
                    it is not a problem. With
                    > a 3-4 hook tooth bi-metal blade, this saw will romp through 5" thick
                    steel."

                    Surely youve made a mis-print on the blade description of 3-4 hook-
                    teeth!! cutting STEEL!! Thats aggressive for wood.

                    The tire --or lack of-- in a metal saw is probably more for the
                    incompatibility of all the different cutting and lubing fluids. There
                    are probably a few out there with tires, but they are not the
                    norm...I've never seem one.
                  • Steve DeMerell
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                      My thanks to all for your help with my bandsaw.
                      Steve D.
                    • mariol.vitale@att.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 7, 2006

                        Gents,

                           I think all the responses to the original question are quite accurate, however, I'm sure they have raised at least one question in the mind of the fellow who asked the original question (and my mind).... If the metallic wheel surface is as it should be, but the teeth should not be riding on the wheel, what adjustments might he consider making, to achieve this condition Note; I don't have one of these saws, so I don't know if it would be obvious to an experienced operator, but he may not be an experienced operator.....just a thought.

                                                                                                                                                                    Mario

                        -------------- Original message from "vulcansh" <vulcan@...>: --------------

                        > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Ed Beers wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 01:49 +0000, deles136 wrote:
                        > > > I bought a saw from Northern tool and it is painted maroon so I
                        > > > thought it was a good one. I was installing the new 10-14 blade I got
                        > > > and adjusting the roller bearings and I noticed that the two wheels
                        > > > that the blade rides on are not rubber covered.
                        > > > They appear to be just
                        > > > plain metal. Do other saws have rubber bands on the blade wheels ?
                        > >
                        > > No. Metal cutting bandsaws do not use rubber tires. Chips would get
                        > > embedded in the rubber.
                        > >
                        > > > The
                        > > > teeth of the b lade are partly on the wheel when adjusted right so
                        > > > they
                        > > > may suffer some damage from just turning. I might just trim down the
                        > > > thichness of both wheels so the teeth will ride in the clear.
                        > >
                        > > The teeth should already be far enough off the edge that the set is not
                        > > effected.
                        > >
                        > > >From your description, there is probably nothing wrong with your saw.
                        > > I would not make any modifications unless you actually experience
                        > > blade damage.
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Ed Beers
                        > >

                        > Sorry, but I disagree slightly with Ed and others. I have a 20" Powermatic
                        > vertical metal
                        > cutting bandsaw that has rubber tires and while a few chips stick, it is not a
                        > problem. With
                        > a 3-4 hook tooth bi-metal blade, this saw will romp through 5" thick steel.
                        >
                        > My 4x6 and 7x10 saws both have metal tires.
                        >
                        > I agree fully that you should not make any modifications unless it is a clear
                        > problem.
                        >
                        > Steve
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Edward ward
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 7, 2006
                          maybe the blade you used is out of spec. try another brand of blade. the blade shouldn't ride on the kerf.

                          ------------ -- Original message from "vulcansh" <vulcan@dsl-only. net>: ------------ --

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 7, 2006
                            Well,
                            It is spelled out fairly well in my owner's manual but essentially you adjust the top wheel so that the teeth stand just proud of the wheels. As I said before the ridge at the back is just for safety to keep the blade from running off the back side. I think if you were to run the blade against the ridge for very long it would wear the ridge and do bad things to the blade as it keeps trying to ride up the ridge.
                            YMMV
                            Glenn
                            > I think all the responses to the original question are quite accurate, however, I'm sure they have raised at least one question in the mind of the fellow who asked the original question (and my mind).... If the metallic wheel surface is as it should be, but the teeth should not be riding on the wheel, what adjustments might he consider making, to achieve this condition Note; I don't have one of these saws, so I don't know if it would be obvious to an experienced operator, but he may not be an experienced operator.....just a thought.
                            >
                            > Mario
                            > -------------- Original message from "vulcansh" <vulcan@...>: --------------
                            >

                            >> --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Ed Beers wrote:

                            >> > No. Metal cutting bandsaws do not use rubber tires. Chips would get
                            >> > embedded in the rubber.

                            >> > The teeth should already be far enough off the edge that the set is not
                            >> > effected.

                            >> > I would not make any modifications unless you actually experience
                            >> > blade damage.
                            >> >
                            >> > --
                            >> > Ed Beers
                            >> >

                            >> Sorry, but I disagree slightly with Ed and others. I have a 20" Powermatic
                            >> vertical metal
                            >> cutting bandsaw that has rubber tires and while a few chips stick, it is not a
                            >> problem. With
                            >> a 3-4 hook tooth bi-metal blade, this saw will romp through 5" thick steel.
                            >>
                            >> My 4x6 and 7x10 saws both have metal tires.
                            >>
                            >> I agree fully that you should not make any modifications unless it is a clear
                            >> problem.
                            >>
                            >> Steve
                            >>

                            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Steve DeMerell
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 7, 2006
                              The blade I am using is a Matrix 2 bi-metal 10-14. I am new to machine shop work as I only worked as a journeyman machinist for 30 plus years after serving my apprenticeship as a mouldmaker in the glass container business. I am starting to catch on a little bit and I appreciate any help I can get.

                              Many thanks,
                              Steve D.
                            • Glenn N
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 7, 2006
                                Well :)
                                I thought ya caught onto the idea of chamfering the wheels a bit to save the blade if it runs back too far. :)
                                I do like the fact that you were able to do it with the blade removed. It was a little nervous making to do it with the blade running around there.

                                Glenn

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  I had thought of working right next to the moving blade and looked at the top wheel and only one bolt held it on.  The lathe was right next to me so I was able to bevel both wheels safely.  The saw runs fine now but the small amount of time I ran a new blade it took the set out of one side.  I will use it until it causes me a problem then I will install a new one knowing that whatever happens the set on the teeth will not be damaged by wheels that were not machined properly or had been designed to have rubber bands as one person said his saw had rubber bands.  I asked the original question about rubber bands because I could see the wheels would cause a problem.

                                  Many thanks,
                                  Steve D.