Re: [4x6bandsaw] Re: M6 x 1.25?!?!?

  • Trost Carl
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      The one I was refering to is the 41451. As I said the handles leave a bit to be desired, they work but don't exactly feel solid in you hands. Throw the screw driver away when you open the box. But the taps and dies are very nice. I have used them in 4140 steel and the like with very nice results. Also Al and brass with nicely cut well defined threads. The other set is a Irwin - Hanson brand. They are the makers of the original vise grip tools. I have not used their taps and dies but every other tool I have from them is A-one quality. I would expect no less from their tap and die sets. They have really been expanding their product line beyond vise-grpis recently and have been well recieved from all accounts I have heard.

      Carl

      NPWBill <NPWBill@...> wrote:
      Carl, is it the HF 41451 45 PC, SAE TITANIUM NITRIDE COATED ALLOY STEEL
      TAP & DIE SET
      <http://www.harborfr eight.com/ cpi/ctaf/ displayitem. taf?Itemnumber= 41451>
      $84.99Set?

      Or would the other one: 2796-3VGA
      <http://www.harborfr eight.com/ cpi/ctaf/ displayitem. taf?Itemnumber= 2796>
      41 PC. SUPER DUTY TAP AND DIE SET
      <http://www.harborfr eight.com/ cpi/ctaf/ displayitem. taf?Itemnumber= 2796>
      $99.99
      actually be better?
      Just your opinion please......
      Bill

      Trost Carl wrote:
      > I have purchasaed both the 9.99 on sale SAE set and the $80 something
      > high end metric set. Got the high end because it was the only one that
      > had a perticular size I needed in it. I was cheesed about it at the
      > time. Night and day difference!! ! The $9.99 set is not worth the
      > plastic case it came in. I can't cut crap with them! But the high end
      > set is Super. Polished HSS with TiN coating. The handles leave a bit
      > to be desired but the taps and dies themselves are top notch. I will
      > get the SAE set when it goes on sale for 50 something and use a 20%
      > cupon for a really good deal. I have used some pretty high end stuff
      > at work (greenfield, chicago latrobe, prcision twist, uz engineering
      > etc...) and I can't find a noticeable difference in
      > performance between them and the HF - Pittsburgh high end set.
      >
      > Carl

    • Glenn N
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
        I have both the large HF sets and a Hansons (SAE) set. The hansons only goes up to 1/2". I wouldn't stack em up very tall against a Greenfield or Hertel but they are darned good taps and dies. I have several sets of greenfield T&D and many misc Hertels. The big difference is in the way the threads are relieved. The HF taps and dies have the first few threads ground back and are very sharp with proper front relief, but there is no axial relief so the entire thread is draging around the cut. The really good T&D's have relief behind the cutting edge as well so they cut very nicely.
        I feel the HF T&D sets are a really good bang for the buck deal if you don't plan on making a gazillion threads with them. They do cut nice threads but require more force and lubrication.
        The Hansons set is sorta between the HF sets and the greenfields.
        The way I have been working it is to replace the cheap T&D's with good ones when I use em up and I still have the complete set for the oddball thread I might need. Strangely the Hansons are the only taps I have broken any of so far.

        YMMV
        Glenn

        Trost Carl wrote:
        > I have purchasaed both the 9.99 on sale SAE set and the $80 something
        > high end metric set. Got the high end because it was the only one that
        > had a perticular size I needed in it. I was cheesed about it at the
        > time. Night and day difference!!! The $9.99 set is not worth the
        > plastic case it came in. I can't cut crap with them! But the high end
        > set is Super. Polished HSS with TiN coating. The handles leave a bit
        > to be desired but the taps and dies themselves are top notch. I will
        > get the SAE set when it goes on sale for 50 something and use a 20%
        > cupon for a really good deal. I have used some pretty high end stuff
        > at work (greenfield, chicago latrobe, prcision twist, uz engineering
        > etc...) and I can't find a noticeable difference in
        > performance between them and the HF - Pittsburgh high end set.
        >
        > Carl
      • William Abernathy
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
          Glenn N wrote:
          > I have both the large HF sets and a Hansons (SAE) set. The hansons only goes
          > up to 1/2". I wouldn't stack em up very tall against a Greenfield or Hertel
          > but they are darned good taps and dies. I have several sets of greenfield
          > T&D and many misc Hertels. The big difference is in the way the threads are
          > relieved. The HF taps and dies have the first few threads ground back and
          > are very sharp with proper front relief, but there is no axial relief so the
          > entire thread is draging around the cut. The really good T&D's have relief
          > behind the cutting edge as well so they cut very nicely. I feel the HF T&D
          > sets are a really good bang for the buck deal if you don't plan on making a
          > gazillion threads with them. They do cut nice threads but require more force
          > and lubrication. The Hansons set is sorta between the HF sets and the
          > greenfields. The way I have been working it is to replace the cheap T&D's
          > with good ones when I use em up and I still have the complete set for the
          > oddball thread I might need. Strangely the Hansons are the only taps I have
          > broken any of so far.
          >
          > YMMV Glenn

          Hansons are the only ones I've broken so far as well. That's because they're
          made of carbon steel instead of HSS. I'll buy them if I'm in a pinch, but I'll
          take no-name HSS over Hanson carbon steel any day of the week.

          --William

          (who has yes to find a vendor for M6 x 1.25 fasteners...)
        • Matthew Tinker
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
            Why don't you just grind the relief yourself, it's not
            difficult!

            Matthew