New to group, questions about saw purchase

  • Jeff Moskovitz
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hi all,

      I was very happy/surprised to find that this group exists!

      I am getting ready to purchase a metal cutting band saw, and am willing to
      spend up to $500 or so. I have been wavering between buying one of the cheap
      4X6 saws or the somewhat more expensive 6 X 10 saws, and could use some
      advice from people who already own these saws.

      My primary needs are versatility, accuracy, and quality construction -- I'd
      like to buy a decent tool that will serve me well for a number of small
      fabrication projects. I'd also like a tool that will last me for years. I
      don't have any one project in mind for this tool, but I have been wanting to
      add a metal cutting band saw to my tool crib for some time.

      I am considering the following saws:

      The Grizzly G1010 and it's many counterparts: the classic 4x6 saw, although
      I understand there are differences between the various incarnations of this
      tool. What separates the good version from the not-as-good versions?? Do
      certain brands/models use cast parts as opposed to stamped steel? Do any of
      the 4X6 saws stand out as "the best"?

      The Grizzly G9742: Same saw head as the 1010 but with a more versatile base,
      capable of cutting up to 60° with easier setup (or so the description says).
      Has anyone on the list used one of these? The biggest drawback seems to be
      that it isn't capable of vertical operation, but I don't know how often one
      needs to operate the saw vertically.

      The Grizzly G4030: A horizontal/vertical 6X10 saw with a rolling base,
      coolant pump, etc. At $499 + shipping this is at the top of what I want to
      spend on this tool, but it does seem to have a lot of features for the
      money. Anyone have one of these (or something similar)?

      I know Grizzly isn't the only source for these saws, but these seem like
      three representative examples.

      Thanks for whatever opinions/experience you can share!

      Jeff Moskovitz
    • Ralph Meiser
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2003
        Jeff,
        From what I've seen looking at saws while at several suppliers and what I've heard on this board, the differences between these saws tend to be the color. I got mine when J&L tool was closing some branch stores. It compares to what I've seen at Harbor Freight and Production tool supply. The Jet's I've seen in other stores seem to be identical.

        The draw backs all seem to be centered around the cheap frame. which does need some reinforcement. Mine has needed reinforcement for the 3 years I've owned it! Look thru the photo and file sections and you'll see what others have done.

        A couple of things they are sensitive to.

        They need a good blade. I use Lennox diemaster II's. I bought three in various configurations after tearing up the original blade in about a day. I still have all three. I almost feel sorry for them. A little wax or some tapmatic helps on cuts like 4in round solid.

        Set your blade runout carefully. Mine will shave 1/4" off a large diameter steel piece and be within .040 corner to corner. When
        I first got it, it was awful. I read and reread the instructions and finally just sat down and figured it out. Use all the belt tension you can muster up.

        I've used mine as a vertical saw several times. I tossed the stamped plate and made one from 3/16 aluminum. It works much better. I just sit on the saw base when I'm cutting in vertical position.

        Anytime I feel disgusted with the saw, I just pull out my trusty hacksaw and look at it
        Ralph Meiser
        Monroe, Mi
[...]

      • BOB & CINDY WRIGHT
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2003
          Hi Jeff, All the saws seem to come from the same china factory. There
          are some motor size differences, big 3/4 hp or smaller, 2 frames
          also, one with cast arms, and one with stamped steel arms (my
          preference) I have 2 of them. I use mine for production cutting every
          day. No problems after 3 years use, cuts straight as an arrow. Just
          use a quality blade, I use a 10 tooth bimetal matrix on most metals.
          And a 14 tooth carbon blade for my small steel tubing..Cut on...Bob
          Wright

        • Jeff Moskovitz
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
            Re: [4x6bandsaw] Re: New to group, questions about saw purchase Bob and Ralph,

            Thanks very much for your opinions. From what you’ve said and what I’ve read, these saws benefit greatly from additional stiffening and from replacing the sheet metal table with a thicker table. I’ve read through Frank Hoose’s 4X6 metal band saw page (http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm#bandsaw) and your comments match those on his page.

            I guess I’m still on the fence as to whether this saw is “enough” saw for me, and whether, after one takes the modifications into account, I would  be better off with this saw or a larger, perhaps sturdier saw. I do get the sense that these saws are an excellent value for what they are and with tuning can become accurate tools, so maybe I’m just stuck with a case of tool lust ;-)

            Anyway, thanks again for sharing your opinions.

            Final question: how are the saw’s jaws for clamping work and holding stock for angled cuts? Are they difficult to setup? (I ask this with that Grizzly 60° capable saw head in mind...)

            Thanks again,

            Jeff
          • Ralph Meiser
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
              Re: [4x6bandsaw] Re: New to group, questions about saw purchase
              Jeff, The clamping vice works ok with a couple of mods. First is longer hold down bolts/nuts so you can reach them. I made mine from some ss hex stock drops I had acquired. Another fix is to drill and tap the far side of the movable jaw to take a bolt. You can extend the bolt when cutting short stock and get a good solid grip.

              I have used my saw to cut up to a 45 degree angle on 4x4 tube, which is supposed to be out of range.

              One last thing get good infeed and outfeed supports when your doing long and heavy work. I have a couple of rollers set to that height that are stored with the saw.
              Ralph Meiser
              Monroe, Mi

              Final question: how are the saw’s jaws for clamping work and holding stock for angled cuts? Are they difficult to setup? (I ask this with that Grizzly 60° capable saw head in mind...)

              Thanks again,

              Jeff
            • Jim Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
                While I cant comment on the other larger saws that youve mentioned....I can comment on the Grizzly 4x6.

                Ive owned one for about 3 years and Ive never had any trouble out of it.  It works just as flawlessly as it did when I purchased it and was a great buy IMO..
                Sure it has its limitations and quirks as all tooling does in that price range...But well worth the money if youre on a budget like I am.

                Its convenient to be able to use it vertically when one needs to  do a quick cutoff of extra stock, to avoid the extra machining time.Ive never even used the vertical table attachment that came with it, as its too much of a PITA to mount and cutting by hand IMO is just as accurate (though somewhat dangerous:)
                .
                Nor is a cut  more than 0.05" off of what it starts out at cutting whn cutting at its maximum hiegth capacity...pretty accurate and probably the best investment Ive made in my little shop....Not to mention the most important tool one needs for small metalworking/fabrication

                The key in accuracy , and longivity in cutting is using good quality bimetal blades and a proper blade break in procedure. I recommend Starrett Powerband Matrix II blades, and Im sure most other users will too.

                Good luck in deciding.

                Jeff Moskovitz <mosk@...> wrote:
[...]

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • r-evans4
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
                  > Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
                  > From: Jim Brown <jagco1998@...>
                  ---snip--->
                  >The key in accuracy , and longivity in cutting is using good quality bimetal
                  blades and a proper blade break in procedure.
                  ---snip--->

                  What is the "proper blade break in procedure?" I have been using power saws
                  for years, and this is news to me. I assume that you mean more than properly
                  seating the blade and adjusting its tension its runout.
                  rupert

                  Rupert N. Evans
                  101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697;
                  217-337-7833
                  Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
                  I love to print and bind books and make model stationary steam engines
                • BOB & CINDY WRIGHT
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
                    Hi group, We used to break in our big Marvel saw by cutting some
                    thick metal at a reduced feed rate, I never saw any difference but
                    thats what the boss wanted...Bob