saw blades

  • S. Foo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2003
      So I'm cutting ATS-34 and some 1080 steel this weekend. Somehow,
      while cutting the ats, the bi metal 10-14 tpiblade catches and makes
      this bend in itself. :( I decide to swap out for the 18tpi Carbon
      blade instead and see if that works. It makes progress about 1/10th
      as fast, and finally it's getting hot so I shut off the saw.

      After letting it sit a few minutes, I look at the blade and the teeth
      have been flattened. Blade goes into the trash. I clamp the bi-
      metal in my vise and try and fix the bend. It sorta works. Fire the
      saw up and except for a Clunk sound as the bend passes, it's cutting
      like a champ again.

      On to the 1080. I take the Bi-metal off again, and swap in my 2nd
      18tpi carbon blade, and let the saw start cutting. About 1/3 of the
      way through, i can smell it getting hot again, and stop the saw.
      Blade, again with broken/sheared teeth, goes in the garbage. Bi-
      metal goes back on, and clunking away, cuts the 1080 like butter.

      I have the saw on the lowest speed for these cuts, and both were
      being done horizontally (although I made some closer cuts with it
      vertically afterwards). Ugh. I think the cool coolant system in the
      files section will be getting added soon to my saw.

      Two and a half blades down,

      Ryan
    • r-evans4
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2003
        There are some big differences in carbon steel blades. I bought a blade from
        Homier that was dead soft, and would not cut at all. Some HF blades do well,
        and others don't last long. I have had the best results with Starret
        1/2"x.025" blades. They are a bit more expensive than those from HF, but they
        last much longer and cut faster. Since switching to Starrett carbon steel I
        have quit buying bimetal blades for my 4x6 saw.
        Pay attention, also, to the number of teeth per inch. If cutting material
        which has more than a 1/4"" cross section, use 10 (or possibly 14) teeth per
        inch. 18 tpi cuts slowly and should be used only for cutting pieces with a
        thin cross section.

        rupert

        >So I'm cutting ATS-34 and some 1080 steel this weekend. Somehow,
        >while cutting the ats, the bi metal 10-14 tpiblade catches and makes
        >this bend in itself. :( I decide to swap out for the 18tpi Carbon
        >blade instead and see if that works. It makes progress about 1/10th
        >as fast, and finally it's getting hot so I shut off the saw.
        >
        >After letting it sit a few minutes, I look at the blade and the teeth
        >have been flattened. Blade goes into the trash. I clamp the bi-
        >metal in my vise and try and fix the bend. It sorta works. Fire the
        >saw up and except for a Clunk sound as the bend passes, it's cutting
        >like a champ again.
        >
        >On to the 1080. I take the Bi-metal off again, and swap in my 2nd
        >18tpi carbon blade, and let the saw start cutting. About 1/3 of the
        >way through, i can smell it getting hot again, and stop the saw.
        >Blade, again with broken/sheared teeth, goes in the garbage. Bi-
        >metal goes back on, and clunking away, cuts the 1080 like butter.
        >
        >I have the saw on the lowest speed for these cuts, and both were
        >being done horizontally (although I made some closer cuts with it
        >vertically afterwards). Ugh. I think the cool coolant system in the
        >files section will be getting added soon to my saw.
        >
        >Two and a half blades down,
        >
        >Ryan

        Rupert N. Evans
        101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697;
        217-337-7833
        Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
        I love to print and bind books and make model stationary steam engines