Re: [4x6bandsaw] Bearings?

  • Trost Carl
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
      How come everyone can get bearings so much cheaper than I can in Detroit area? I got new bearings for my saw and they cost me $9 each. They were not even a top brand like Timkin. Much, much better than the Chineese ones it came with but not top of the line. I had to get bearings for my lathe and they cost me a good 40% more then anyone else said they paid for them elsewhere in the country. We have a ton of industrial supply houses around here and everyone is within a couple of dollars of each other. You would think the extra competition would keep prices a little lower around here. Same with the belts for my lathe. Rant over!

      Carl

      Glenn N <sleykin@...> wrote:
      If you are talking about the saw guide bearings, they are quite common and should be available at about any bearing supply house.  Take one of the still intact bearings in and have em match up 4 for you.  IIRC mine were about $3 each.  I bought em shortly after I bought the saw as I just knew they would fail soon :)  They are still sitting on the shelf after 10+ years...
      Glenn
    • William Abernathy
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
        If your local vendors can't do the job, you can always buy your bearings "out on
        the internets."

        --William A.

        Trost Carl wrote:
        > How come everyone can get bearings so much cheaper than I can in Detroit
        > area? I got new bearings for my saw and they cost me $9 each. They were
        > not even a top brand like Timkin. Much, much better than the Chineese
        > ones it came with but not top of the line. I had to get bearings for my
        > lathe and they cost me a good 40% more then anyone else said they paid
        > for them elsewhere in the country. We have a ton of industrial supply
        > houses around here and everyone is within a couple of dollars of each
        > other. You would think the extra competition would keep prices a little
        > lower around here. Same with the belts for my lathe. Rant over!
        >
        > Carl
        >
        > */Glenn N <sleykin@...>/* wrote:
        >
        > If you are talking about the saw guide bearings, they are quite
        > common and should be available at about any bearing supply house.
        > Take one of the still intact bearings in and have em match up 4 for
        > you. IIRC mine were about $3 each. I bought em shortly after I
        > bought the saw as I just knew they would fail soon :) They are
        > still sitting on the shelf after 10+ years...
        > Glenn
      • Jonathan Freinkel
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
          Thanks guys.
          I got 2 @ grainger.. for the cheap price of $12.00 each.. Wowsers
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
            I myself had never heard of a "bearing supply house."

            --- "Jonathan Freinkel" <want2race@...> wrote:

            > Thanks guys.
            > I got 2 @ grainger.. for the cheap price of $12.00 each.. Wowsers
            >
            > --- Glenn N wrote:
            >
            > If you are talking about the saw guide bearings, they are
            > quite common and should be available at about any bearing
            > supply house. Take one of the still intact bearings in and
            > have em match up 4 for you. IIRC mine were about $3 each.
            > I bought em shortly after I bought the saw as I just knew
            > they would fail soon :) They are still sitting on the shelf
            > after 10+ years...
            > Glenn
            > --- Jonathan Freinkel wrote:
            >
            > I will admit, I am a bad band saw owner. I abuse the living
            > hell out of my saw! Usually I take car of its needs but I
            > failed this time.
            >
            > Today I had a bearing explode! The outer race decided it
            > wasn't happy being 1 piece and pop..
            >
            > Is this something I can take to Grainger and get a
            > replacement? Or do I have to order from someone?
            >
            > Any and all help is always appreciated..
            >
            > As a side note.. I think its quite unappreciative that the
            > piece it decided to die while making was in fact part of
            > its own new stand!~
            >
            > Thanks
            > ~Jonathan
          • Glenn N
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
              Look in the phone book under bearings.  Motion industries, Bearings Inc., Applied industrial Technologies, and several more..
              Or google bearing suppliers for your area.
              I myself had never heard of a "bearing supply house."

              --- "Jonathan Freinkel" <want2race@...> wrote:

              > Thanks guys.
              > I got 2 @ grainger.. for the cheap price of $12.00 each.. Wowsers
              >
              > --- Glenn N wrote:
              >
              > If you are talking about the saw guide bearings, they are
              > quite common and should be available at about any bearing
              > supply house.  Take one of the still intact bearings in and
              > have em match up 4 for you.  IIRC mine were about $3 each.
              > I bought em shortly after I bought the saw as I just knew
              > they would fail soon :)  They are still sitting on the shelf
              > after 10+ years...
              >   Glenn
              > --- Jonathan Freinkel  wrote:
              >
              > I will admit, I am a bad band saw owner. I abuse the living
              > hell out of my saw! Usually I take car of its needs but I
              > failed this time.
              >
              > Today I had a bearing explode! The outer race decided it
              > wasn't happy being 1 piece and pop..
              >
              > Is this something I can take to Grainger and get a
              > replacement? Or do I have to order from someone?
              >
              > Any and all help is always appreciated..
              >
              > As a side note.. I think its quite unappreciative that the
              > piece it decided to die while making was in fact part of
              > its own new stand!~
              >
              >     Thanks
              >     ~Jonathan

            • NPWBill
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
                Glenn N wrote:
                > Look in the phone book under bearings. Motion industries, Bearings
                > Inc., Applied industrial Technologies, and several more..
                > Or google bearing suppliers for your area.

                Try http://kingbearing.com/ too.... I've dealt with them for 30 years
                or more...

                Bill